Bush AG: "No question" Obama has "obligation" to fill the seat

If this situation was reversed, quite simply, the Democraps would be taking the same tack. But it isn't, they ain't, so they is hawg-tied!!!
"On Feb. 3, 1988, McConnell and literally every other GOP senator voted to confirm Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy. This was during President Ronald Reagan's last year in the White House, and at a time when Democrats controlled the Senate. Kennedy was confirmed 97-0, with three Democrats -- Joe Biden, Al Gore and Paul Simon -- not voting at all because, presumably, they were busy running for president that year."
Mitch McConnell Voted To Confirm A Supreme Court Justice In Reagan's Final Year
Obama can Sue the Senate. Should be fun to watch the Supreme Court let the Constitution Professor know that the Constitution does not require the Senate to vote in any time span.

He has an obligation to nominate someone but the senate has no obligation to ratify a nominee
No, they are required to consent, or not, which means a ----------------------------------------V O T E.

Good lord...are you STILL on this nonsense?
None of this is nonsense.

Seriously....us conservatives were forced to sit by and watch your side ram OBarrycare down the throats of the American people and now you're whining about the SCOTUS....

I don't know .....except that payback is a bitch, wouldn't you agree? :)
Obamacare was doing their job, not voting means they aren't.

Sonny, by the republicans NOT doing their job (as you put it) they DID their job. Just like when the next republican president takes over - you will be upset when OBarrycare goes the way of the dinosaur.... :crybaby:

If this situation was reversed, quite simply, the Democraps would be taking the same tack. But it isn't, they ain't, so they is hawg-tied!!!
"On Feb. 3, 1988, McConnell and literally every other GOP senator voted to confirm Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy. This was during President Ronald Reagan's last year in the White House, and at a time when Democrats controlled the Senate. Kennedy was confirmed 97-0, with three Democrats -- Joe Biden, Al Gore and Paul Simon -- not voting at all because, presumably, they were busy running for president that year."
Obama can Sue the Senate. Should be fun to watch the Supreme Court let the Constitution Professor know that the Constitution does not require the Senate to vote in any time span.

Indeed. I think that the biggest problem with the democrats is that they got used to Pelosi, Reid and Barry. They started to feel invincible. Now? they are beginning to feel what the next 4-8 years will be like. So, let's get it started right now.

Democrats!!! Sit the hell down and shut the hell up!! :dance:

He does.

And the Senate majority has an obligation - and a right - to its constituents to block unacceptable nominees,

So long as they act with good intentions. As it stands, they are saying they will block anyone just cause it's obama .

And these are the same people who claim obama doesn't follow the constitution .
And these people have the power, granted by the constitution, to block Obama's nominations.
If they vote. If they don't vote then they are usurping the Original Intent of the Constitution.
I agree with you. It was a bad move for them to say they wouldn't vote at all. All they have to do is "Bork" the nominee a couple of times and no one in America will want to be nominated while Obama is president.

Mark

The moral of the story here? Sucks to be a liberal right now. :)
Not at all, since we are going to beat the GOP to death for not governing, something the American people are sick to death of. They are tired of paying for do-nothing assholes.

Not to mention that the SC is now 4-4.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Most conservatives feel government is too big already, and that by doing nothing, at least its not growing. Remember this, the GOP has now won(and held) more seats in all branches of government than at almost anytime in history. People are getting "tired" all right, but I don't think its for the same reason you do.

Mark

Waiting for the next president makes more sense...
No, it doesn't since there is absolutely no reason to wait a year. Of Obama and a new Dem, the Justice would be roughly the same, meaning there is only a 33% chance that the Justice would be picked by the GOP, and the GOP still has to consent so any real dog won't make it.
There really is no reason to wait. However, I do believe we should use Obama's advice when confirming any nominee.

Confirmation of Judge Samuel Alito, Jr. Floor Statement

TOPIC: Confirmations
Thursday, January 26, 2006
Floor Statement on the Confirmation of Judge Samuel Alito, Jr.
Complete Text

First off, let me congratulate Senators Specter and Leahy for moving yet another confirmation process along with a civility that speaks well of the Senate.

As we all know, there's been a lot of discussion in the country about how the Senate should approach this confirmation process. There are some who believe that the President, having won the election, should have the complete authority to appoint his nominee, and the Senate should only examine whether or not the Justice is intellectually capable and an all-around nice guy. That once you get beyond intellect and personal character, there should be no further question whether the judge should be confirmed.

I disagree with this view. I believe firmly that the Constitution calls for the Senate to advise and consent. I believe that it calls for meaningful advice and consent that includes an examination of a judge's philosophy, ideology, and record
. And when I examine the philosophy, ideology, and record of Samuel Alito, I'm deeply troubled.

Obama Speech - Confirmation of Judge Samuel Alito, Jr. Floor Statement- Complete Text

Mark

No, it doesn't since there is absolutely no reason to wait a year. Of Obama and a new Dem, the Justice would be roughly the same, meaning there is only a 33% chance that the Justice would be picked by the GOP, and the GOP still has to consent so any real dog won't make it.
There really is no reason to wait. However, I do believe we should use Obama's advice when confirming any nominee.

Complete Text

First off, let me congratulate Senators Specter and Leahy for moving yet another confirmation process along with a civility that speaks well of the Senate.

As we all know, there's been a lot of discussion in the country about how the Senate should approach this confirmation process. There are some who believe that the President, having won the election, should have the complete authority to appoint his nominee, and the Senate should only examine whether or not the Justice is intellectually capable and an all-around nice guy. That once you get beyond intellect and personal character, there should be no further question whether the judge should be confirmed.

I disagree with this view. I believe firmly that the Constitution calls for the Senate to advise and consent. I believe that it calls for meaningful advice and consent that includes an examination of a judge's philosophy, ideology, and record
. And when I examine the philosophy, ideology, and record of Samuel Alito, I'm deeply troubled.

Obama Speech - Confirmation of Judge Samuel Alito, Jr. Floor Statement- Complete Text

Mark

The difference here, however, is simple. The left in this country intends to use the courts to circumvent the democratic process (as they have demonstrated time and again). The next president "may" nominate 2-3 Justices to the Supreme Court. Thankfully, the next president WILL be a republican. However, should the worst happen and one of the two idiots who are running on the other side win - this country is finished as we know it.

That is why there will be NO nominee voted on until the next election. This country simply can not endure more of these judicial activists.

Complete Text

Mark

The difference here, however, is simple. The left in this country intends to use the courts to circumvent the democratic process (as they have demonstrated time and again). The next president "may" nominate 2-3 Justices to the Supreme Court. Thankfully, the next president WILL be a republican. However, should the worst happen and one of the two idiots who are running on the other side win - this country is finished as we know it.

That is why there will be NO nominee voted on until the next election. This country simply can not endure more of these judicial activists.

Since getting 60 votes is an impossibility at this point, at least the Senate would look like its following protocol.

I do find it amazing that now the liberals are dunning the GOP for not wasting their time, but when voting to repeal Obamacare it was a huge waste of money.

Perspective, I guess.

Mark

Obama voted to block the vote on Alito.
Karma is a bitch.

The Democrats rejected Robert Bork's confirmation. That bullshit about how The Senate is somehow legally obligated to confirm a nominee is just that, bullshit.

I don't think anything is hog-tied just yet! The President does have an un-played card up his sleeve that has yet to be played and a good time might be round about the Senate's summer recess (adjournment) or perhaps a little later in September.

US Constitution, Article II § 3:
"... he [the President, sic] may, on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them, with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn them to such time as he shall think proper;"

The President could keep them in Washington for months on end, "working" 7 days a week 12 hours a day if the GOP controlled Senate wishes to outright obstruct any appointment nominee. And for those ignoring this Constitutional power of the Executive, I do believe the President can send the US Marshalls after any scofflaws to drag them back to DC!

Complete Text

Mark
So, was there a vote? Yes or no?

So what

Harry reid held up or flat out refused to bring lots of things to the floor of the senate for a vote

Turnabout is fair play
Those are bills, not Supreme Court appointments, dumbass.
Doesn't matter

You don't think Reid would do the same thing if the roles were reversed?

If you do you're even more of a retard than I thought and that's saying something

Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Since you are happy to pay Congress to do nothing, your opinion is of no value.

The nomination was made the year before, and besides, that was a whole different political time and place.
How? Oh right, no difference.

Rubber-stamping means you actually offered to get out the stamps, and they are not. Up or Down? No vote and we will send a bunch of them packing.

Looks like someone needs a Waaahmbulance..........:laugh:........
Nope. I now have a key issue to take back the Senate with, and one less conservative vote of the Supreme Court. Happy days actually, if you can be happy about a man dying, and I'm not.

Since when did you ever care the F about anyone dyin'?!?
I'm happy 'bout the fact the Democraps cannot do J-shit about the situation but throw stones during this election year of SCOTUS 4-4 votes.
Great, be happy, while we use it to take back the Senate, and we will...

Come now, you're squealing like a pig...............
Not me, but every GOP senator up for reelection will be soon.

What's your point?
My point is the job of the Senate is to vote, up or down, on whomever the nominee is.

So what

Harry reid held up or flat out refused to bring lots of things to the floor of the senate for a vote

Turnabout is fair play
Those are bills, not Supreme Court appointments, dumbass.
Doesn't matter

You don't think Reid would do the same thing if the roles were reversed?

If you do you're even more of a retard than I thought and that's saying something

Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Since you are happy to pay Congress to do nothing, your opinion is of no value.
Quit your bitch'n...
The vast majority of Americans don't give two shits if it sits vacant for a bit, there is nothing pressing. Anyway, comrade asshat does not need anymore picks. Barry's judgement sucks ass...

Complete Text

Mark
So, was there a vote? Yes or no?

Yes. Like I stated, I believe they have an obligation to vote. BUT, they also have an obligation to keep the SCOTUS balanced if they can.

Mark

What's your point?
My point is the job of the Senate is to vote, up or down, on whomever the nominee is.

No, that isn't their job.

Forum List

Back