Bulldoze Puerto Rico

How do u feel about aid to Florida and Texas?

ZERO in common with PR....don't waste my time.

Nothing in common other than they are all parts of the US, and populated by Americans.

They are a TERRITORY, not a state and there's a reason why they are not a state....they don't want to pay taxes or get up in the morning and work to improve their lives....not as long as Uncle Sugar will keep the wolf from their door. Well guess what? this time the wolf blew their doors off and again, we're supposed to foot the bill.

why not just sell it to China for about 2 Trillion?

They're all coming to your area and making Florida a solid blue state forever. lol

Here is a little bit of cultural perspective here for your consideration based on my working in an inner city school.

Puerto Ricans don't like Cubans and vice versa..

Cubans don't like Mexicans and vice versa.

Mexicans don't like Puerto Ricans and vice versa.

American blacks don't like Africans black and vice versa.

Everyone doesn't like the Muslims.

Try teaching a class full of those groups and see how many fights break out on any given day.

The few American-born white kids in the class just stand back and cheer them on!

If Baby Bush and Cheney were still in office, Halliburton would already be rebuilding Puerto Rico, and the money from Washington to them would be like a river of green.

If you weren't a dipshit rube, you'd know Halliburton is a collection of sub-contractors much like the US government itself. You'd also know they can accomplish things quicker and for less money than say....PELOSI's thieving husband and his no-bid contracts on military bases. You want to talk about graft and corruption, talk to that ugly old witch.

I believe USA's official policy now is to only rebuild countries that our military has destroyed in the name of freedom. Now if puerto rico would allow our brave men in arms and our military contractors to have at the country for awhile....

Estimates of between $40-$80B taxpayer dollars just to repair the island's infrastructure are outrageous. Why do it? Their leaders inept and corrupt borrowing already had American taxpayers $73B in debt before the hurricanes. And who's to say they don't get hit by another hurricane or two next year? The place is destroyed...why throw good money after bad at 3,662,102 people who can't run their own affairs?
dunno.gif

RTX3FCLB_vochow

Ummm...odd isn't it that the OP's author didn't whine about the money, commodities and teams of first responders sent to Texas and Florida. He also didn't post a thread pissing and moaning about the taxpayer money which has been used by the Trump Administration for boondoggles.
Both Texas and Florida have been - and will soon once again be - on a self-sustaining and paying basis.

The same cannot be said of Puerto Rico - historically or in the near future.

The idea of throwing "good money after bad" has some merit.

The only sensible way forward is to require that all residences be built to withstand a Category 5 hurricane, and to build a system of roads with similar specifications.

That means, of course, a stringent review (and, quite probably, massive overhaul) of existing Puerto Rican building codes - assuming that these even exist in a real-world sense.

That means steel-reinforced concrete walls and roofs in homes, or, at the very least, one large "safe room" in each residential structure, sufficient to house all occupants in a pinch.

No grandfathering with building codes... if an existing residential structure has no such provision, then either a sufficiently large "safe room" is added, or the thing gets bulldozed.

Also, provide tax and insurance incentives for residences with "safe rooms" built to code, with the biggest tax breaks and premium discounts for structures entirely built to code.

The only other way around that is to build a very large number of Community Shelters and to assign every person/family to a shelter, with some modest provision for overflow.

Shelters that can shield occupants during such vicious storms, and then reasonably house and sustain them for some weeks afterwards, based on pre-positioned supplies.

Supplies that are replenished quickly after each use.

In addition to a make-over for their roads, they may also need to bury their entire electrical / phone / cable / internet wiring system underground. All of it.

Where is the money going to come from?

Beats the hell out of me.

But that's what's needed.

Last edited:
Gee, Build a house on a cliff above the ocean then bitch about a storm wiping you out. Its like people who move next to an airport then start complaining about the noise.

-Geaux
The mayor of San Juan cannot be bothered to work with FEMA. She is busy ordering tee shirts and giving interviews! She should be working with FEMA and ordering her national guard into action. She needs truck drivers. I bet the majority can drive trucks and clear roads!
The Puerto Ricans refused to drive the trucks to distribute the aid. The drivers are standing around waiting for handouts.

Lie.

And Tipsycatlover knows it.

If we can "nation build" other countries, why can't we rebuild our own?
So it is okay for them to sit while you rebuild? Right? Where is their National guard?

Puerto Rico has no legal rights. They can't write laws because they are not a state. And they can't vote. So Puerto Rico is fair game to whichever corporation wants to bulldoze it.

The only sensible way forward is to require that all residences be built to withstand a Cat-5 hurricane, and to build a system of roads with similar specifications.

Is that even possible at this point?

If Baby Bush and Cheney were still in office, Halliburton would already be rebuilding Puerto Rico, and the money from Washington to them would be like a river of green.

Damn shame there's no oil there.

If there was it would be shipped to China same as Iraq's oil.....try a new lie...that one is worn out.

Just like Keystone Pipeline.

FINALLY.

Thanks for admitting that. Its definitely a step toward your recovery.

:clap2:
:)

Gee, Build a house on a cliff above the ocean then bitch about a storm wiping you out. Its like people who move next to an airport then start complaining about the noise.

-Geaux
The mayor of San Juan cannot be bothered to work with FEMA. She is busy ordering tee shirts and giving interviews! She should be working with FEMA and ordering her national guard into action. She needs truck drivers. I bet the majority can drive trucks and clear roads!
The Puerto Ricans refused to drive the trucks to distribute the aid. The drivers are standing around waiting for handouts.

Lie.

And Tipsycatlover knows it.

If we can "nation build" other countries, why can't we rebuild our own?
So it is okay for them to sit while you rebuild? Right? Where is their National guard?

WillowTree
Where did I say that?
Where did I even HINT that?
Why lie?

Their Natl Guard are there, working.
The residents are there, working.
Some from the mainland are there, working.

My point stands.
If the US can "nation build" other countries, we should be able and willing to rebuild our own country. Just as we are now doing in Texass and Florida.

Estimates of between $40-$80B taxpayer dollars just to repair the island's infrastructure are outrageous. Why do it? Their leaders inept and corrupt borrowing already had American taxpayers $73B in debt before the hurricanes. And who's to say they don't get hit by another hurricane or two next year? The place is destroyed...why throw good money after bad at 3,662,102 people who can't run their own affairs?
dunno.gif

RTX3FCLB_vochow

Ummm...odd isn't it that the OP's author didn't whine about the money, commodities and teams of first responders sent to Texas and Florida. He also didn't post a thread pissing and moaning about the taxpayer money which has been used by the Trump Administration for boondoggles.
Both Texas and Florida have been - and will soon once again be - on a self-sustaining and paying basis.

The same cannot be said of Puerto Rico - historically or in the near future.

The idea of throwing "good money after bad" has some merit.

Wry Catcher is right but either way, we must address the human beings who have lost their homes and everything in those homes. Their jobs are gone because all business is gone. They truly have nothing.

They are a TERRITORY, not a state and there's a reason why they are not a state....they don't want to pay taxes or get up in the morning and work to improve their lives....not as long as Uncle Sugar will keep the wolf from their door. Well guess what? this time the wolf blew their doors off and again, we're supposed to foot the bill.
`
`

While you put it more bluntly than I would, you are essentially correct. Puerto Rico is a "failed state." If the banks and wall street called in PR's debt, right now, they would have to declare bankruptcy. Of course I'm oversimplifying this but the point is, Puerto Rico cannot manage itself alone. Therein lays the conundrum of doing what it takes, to make PR a prosperous state, without needing outside intervention.

Business wise, I would be rather Draconian hence very unpopular but that's what tough love is all about.

Forum List

Back