Buffalo Snowfall: When Did We Lose Ability to Take Care of Ourselves?

CherryPanda

Aug 12, 2014
Every extreme situation highlights existing problems and weak places. And though I feel for the people suffering from this enormous snowfall, I can’t but notice that we have some real problems.

I was surprised to know that some people died of cardiac issues while cleaning their cars from snow. This is terrible, but… what was the state of their health if such kind of physical activity causes such consequences? I mean, that is signal of real problems with national health…

Then, there are people trapped in their houses. They can’t get out because the snow is door high. I understand they may not have shovels, but… I remember my grandma telling me about such snowfalls. They were regular for the area she lived in, and grandpa just got out through the window in the attic and cleared the way. I keep asking myself why people have problems with that now… I mean, three adult persons are sitting at home hoping to be saved. Why aren’t they doing anything themselves?

Or the story of the guy who died in his car… He got stuck in it because it was covered with more than a foot of snow. How much does it take for the snow to form such height? What was he waiting for?

Or, I know, he waited for help because the authorities are asking people who are stuck in vehicles to remain in their vehicles until they are rescued. But… if the help isn’t coming for two hours and more? Would you wait any longer? I wouldn’t, I would walk to the nearest place with people to wait there, and hell with the car. Life is more precious.

Once again, I feel for the people who died during the snowstorm, but I seems like we have turned into a bunch of children waiting for someone to come and save us, not ready to take some action and responsibility for our own lives. We have become either stupid or helpless…

What would you do if the snow covered the door and blocked the entrance?

If Buffalo can't handle snow who can? This cold air has to be coming from somewhere so it stands to reason that the Arctic ain't melting and it's probably colder than it has been for the last couple of years. You have to be a religious zealot to believe in global warming when your senses tell you otherwise. It's the sun, stupid.

My b'friend grew up on a farm near the NY state line. He said when the snow piled up on the doors they jumped out their second-story bedroom windows with shovels, slid down the drift and started digging out. But he also had seven brothers to help. So.....a retired couple living alone doesn't have that option.

Every extreme situation highlights existing problems and weak places. And though I feel for the people suffering from this enormous snowfall, I can’t but notice that we have some real problems.

I was surprised to know that some people died of cardiac issues while cleaning their cars from snow. This is terrible, but… what was the state of their health if such kind of physical activity causes such consequences? I mean, that is signal of real problems with national health…

Then, there are people trapped in their houses. They can’t get out because the snow is door high. I understand they may not have shovels, but… I remember my grandma telling me about such snowfalls. They were regular for the area she lived in, and grandpa just got out through the window in the attic and cleared the way. I keep asking myself why people have problems with that now… I mean, three adult persons are sitting at home hoping to be saved. Why aren’t they doing anything themselves?

Or the story of the guy who died in his car… He got stuck in it because it was covered with more than a foot of snow. How much does it take for the snow to form such height? What was he waiting for?

Or, I know, he waited for help because the authorities are asking people who are stuck in vehicles to remain in their vehicles until they are rescued. But… if the help isn’t coming for two hours and more? Would you wait any longer? I wouldn’t, I would walk to the nearest place with people to wait there, and hell with the car. Life is more precious.

Once again, I feel for the people who died during the snowstorm, but I seems like we have turned into a bunch of children waiting for someone to come and save us, not ready to take some action and responsibility for our own lives. We have become either stupid or helpless…

"""What would you do if the snow covered the door and blocked the entrance?"""

His name is Estuardo and I have him on speed dial. He's got three snow plow trucks now.
I helped him start his landscaping business a couple of years ago after he came to the U.S.

Well, according to meteorological history, we have never recorded a snowfall of 100 inches in one place in such a short time. We have had snowfalls exceeding 100 inches, but over a much longer time-frame, not just 96 hours.

Old people trying to shovel through 100 inches of snow may just have some heart problems.

So, it's not a preparedness or dependency. It's a matter of 100 inches of snow within less than 96 hours and any asshole who wants to try to make something political out of a snowstorm is completely off his rocker.

And to the second asshole here, Global Warming is a SUB-RUBRIK under CLIMATE CHANGE, which also means that not only do the summers get hotter, but rather, the winters can get decisively colder, earlier and with far more precipitation. Reason: the melting of the polar caps, which causes way too much fresh water to collide with existing salt water in the ocean, the mixing of which generates heat, which in turn generates what is called EL NINO, a scientifically proven and now historically recorded and followed event. Time to pull your head out of your fucking ass and realize that climate change means more than just one thing. Whether or not this is all man-made, natural or likely a combo of the two, no one can say with certainty. But to also use a town's misery to make a political point once again shows assholism of the highest degree.

It's hard to pinpoint when and where Righties lost their humanity, but it's now pretty obvious, even to the blind, with fucked up threads like this one, that they have lost their humanity.

Oh, and asshole no. 1: go shovel 100 inches of snow for about an hour and let us know how your heart is doing before you accuse people of being weak and dependent. That is, of course, assuming that you can get your fat ass away from the computer, chips and pop to do it.

Last edited:
Nature used to weed these types out on a regular basis but modern living has minimized the impact and they've bred quite freely. I don't know if our ancestors would have laughed or cried.

Nature used to weed these types out on a regular basis but modern living has minimized the impact and they've bred quite freely. I don't know if our ancestors would have laughed or cried.

Another case of lack of humanity. I bet if it were your grandparents who had no choice but to shovel themselves out, you would be whistling a different tune, you disgusting fuckwad. Carry on.

Another case of lack of humanity. I bet if it were your grandparents who had no choice but to shovel themselves out, you would be whistling a different tune, you disgusting fuckwad. Carry on.

Well, even he calls himself a weasel. Sure fits.

Make sure I had adequate supplies in the house for a few days.

Since Hurricane Sandy closed off our cul-de-sac for three days and left us without electricity for seven, I have a basement full of dry food, batteries, lanterns, firewood, water, flashlights, two generators and my favorite thing: a miner's headlight so my hands are free.

Well, even he calls himself a weasel. Sure fits.
Sure does.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

Typical RW mentality - If they were fetuses, they would be demanding Big Government pass laws to save them.

But, the elderly? Children? Handicapped?

Let them freeze to death.

Funny thing is, what Stat wrote above is true- if it were their parents, children, handicapped, they'd be whining for help. RWs have a very entitled attitude when its about what they want.

RWs have become sub-human and they're proud of it.

...and nature used to weed assholes like you out too. Your type had very limited lifespans. We weren't discussing those who are disabled or incapable,we were discussing retards like you.

I went to school in Buffalo and went through the blizard of 77 which was about 48 inches

It is not just the snow, but the drifts which would go over 10 foot high. In 77 I was trapped for 5 days. There was no place to go. Even if you dug your car out the roads were impassable. Even if you walk through the drifts, no stores or other services were open. Their employees cannot get through and they cannot receive any shipments.
Die in your car?
Back in 77 you would be driving your car in blizard conditions. Traffic grinds to a halt. You cannot move. So you sit in your car with the motor running for heat. After a couple hours you are out of gas and your car is covered in snow. It is not just the snowfall but the drifting snow. So you decide to walk out. Seems easy but you are in whiteout conditions with snow up to your chest. Most who died then were those who tried to walk their way out. Many died within a few hundred yards of a house or shelter and never knew it. Many bodies were not found until spring.

It is not a case of people not being able to take care of themselves. People in Buffalo know about snow, it is a way of life. But nobody is able to handle snowfall of this magnitude. Most people will just hunker down and wait it out. People in Buffalo who have snowmobiles will help out their neighbors and bring needed food or medication. Times like this show that you need to be a community and help eachother out. Share food, take in those without heat, shovel out the old people
This is not a time for every man for himself

Clear it, duh...or move to the south...

Make sure I had adequate supplies in the house for a few days.

Since Hurricane Sandy closed off our cul-de-sac for three days and left us without electricity for seven, I have a basement full of dry food, batteries, lanterns, firewood, water, flashlights, two generators and my favorite thing: a miner's headlight so my hands are free.
Good for you dear.
But you don't 'really' have a 'real' miners headlight do you? (They are actually called 'headlamps')
You have a band that goes around your head with a LED light.

Global warming is coming to save them be patient, these things take time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back