Bruce Bartlett: I voted for Trump to destroy the GOP

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
The following editorial/commentary was written by Bruce Bartlett.

We have a very serious political problem in this country. Our system of government works best when it is balanced between roughly equal political parties, one on the center-right and the other on the center-left.

Unfortunately, what we have is a centrist Democratic Party and a far-right Republican Party. Therefore, the system is out of balance, creating gridlock even as the public cries out for action on serious problems such as our deteriorating public infrastructure, epitomized by that in Flint, Michigan.

I believe that Republicans made a deal with the devil in 2009 when they embraced the Tea Party, a populist group who were just mad as hell and weren't going to take it anymore. In Congress, the Tea Party has been aggressive in destroying all the norms that made it work for more than 200 years.

103443277-RTX2692Q.530x298.jpg

Mike Segar | Reuters
The government was shut down, increases in the debt limit are constantly at risk, nominations to even the most minor administration positions are blocked and, now, the president has been denied the opportunity, which is his right under the Constitution, to name a new justice to the Supreme Court.

Flush with such "victories," extremists of all shapes and sizes were attracted to the Tea Party ranks—Christian religious fanatics, gun nuts, anti-gay bigots, nativists opposed to all nonwhite immigrants, secessionists, conspiracy theorists and, of course, racists.

What binds them together is hatred. Hatred of government, yes, but also hatred of liberals, minorities, homosexuals, non-fundamentalist Christians, environmentalists, feminists, and many other groups.

Donald Trump, to his credit, figured this out instinctively and pandered to it brilliantly. He channeled the anger and hatred of many whites on the fringes of the economy and society who blame "others" for stagnant wages and other real problems that Republican gridlock in Washington has prevented legislative action on.

Trump understood that these people didn't so much want solutions to these problems as someone in power to acknowledge their existence and give voice to their frustrations.

Nature abhors a vacuum and also abhors gridlock. Gridlock, in turn, creates fertile soil for fascism—the simplistic desire to get stuff done, much of which does need to get done—regardless of the political cost.

Trump taps into this desire very, very well with his long and carefully developed persona as a brilliant businessman who gets things done. He was perfectly positioned to capitalize on the true populist nature of the Tea Party, which cannot be easily characterized as either right or left in terms of policy.

Trump offers them a mishmash of left and right policies—attacks on the war in Iraq and promises of new public infrastructure for the left along with right-wing favorites such as big tax cuts and a wall across the Mexican border.

Trump's opponents never figured him out and now it is too late as he is poised to win the Republican nomination. Many in the Republican establishment are horrified, fearing that he will lead the party to a historic defeat in November. I agree with their fears and that is why I voted for Trump in my state's primary on Super Tuesday.

I believe that only when the GOP suffers a massive defeat will it purge itself of the crazies and forces of intolerance that have taken control of it. Then, and only then, can the GOP become a center-right governing party that deserves to occupy the White House.

The death of today's Republican Party is, therefore, necessary to its survival, in my opinion. And Donald Trump can make it happen, which is why I voted for him.

Commentary by Bruce Bartlett, who served as domestic policy adviser to Ronald Reagan and a Treasury Department official under George H.W.Bush. He also worked on Capitol Hill for the late Rep. Jack Kemp. He is now a writer living in Virginia. Follow him on Twitter @BruceBartlett.

Why the GOP must die: ex-Bush official

"I believe that only when the GOP suffers a massive defeat will it purge itself of the crazies and forces of intolerance that have taken control of it. Then, and only then, can the GOP become a center-right governing party that deserves to occupy the White House."
That's what should happen, but it won't. They ignored everything that told them to do that, including their own study, after Obama beat them again.

We have a very serious political problem in this country. Our system of government works best when it is balanced between roughly equal political parties, one on the center-right and the other on the center-left.

Unfortunately, what we have is a centrist Democratic Party and a far-right Republican Party. Therefore, the system is out of balance, creating gridlock even as the public cries out for action on serious problems such as our deteriorating public infrastructure, epitomized by that in Flint, Michigan.

I believe that Republicans made a deal with the devil in 2009 when they embraced the Tea Party, a populist group who were just mad as hell and weren't going to take it anymore. In Congress, the Tea Party has been aggressive in destroying all the norms that made it work for more than 200 years.

Mike Segar | Reuters
The government was shut down, increases in the debt limit are constantly at risk, nominations to even the most minor administration positions are blocked and, now, the president has been denied the opportunity, which is his right under the Constitution, to name a new justice to the Supreme Court.

Flush with such "victories," extremists of all shapes and sizes were attracted to the Tea Party ranks—Christian religious fanatics, gun nuts, anti-gay bigots, nativists opposed to all nonwhite immigrants, secessionists, conspiracy theorists and, of course, racists.

What binds them together is hatred. Hatred of government, yes, but also hatred of liberals, minorities, homosexuals, non-fundamentalist Christians, environmentalists, feminists, and many other groups.

Donald Trump, to his credit, figured this out instinctively and pandered to it brilliantly. He channeled the anger and hatred of many whites on the fringes of the economy and society who blame "others" for stagnant wages and other real problems that Republican gridlock in Washington has prevented legislative action on.

Trump understood that these people didn't so much want solutions to these problems as someone in power to acknowledge their existence and give voice to their frustrations.

Nature abhors a vacuum and also abhors gridlock. Gridlock, in turn, creates fertile soil for fascism—the simplistic desire to get stuff done, much of which does need to get done—regardless of the political cost.

Trump taps into this desire very, very well with his long and carefully developed persona as a brilliant businessman who gets things done. He was perfectly positioned to capitalize on the true populist nature of the Tea Party, which cannot be easily characterized as either right or left in terms of policy.

Trump offers them a mishmash of left and right policies—attacks on the war in Iraq and promises of new public infrastructure for the left along with right-wing favorites such as big tax cuts and a wall across the Mexican border.

Trump's opponents never figured him out and now it is too late as he is poised to win the Republican nomination. Many in the Republican establishment are horrified, fearing that he will lead the party to a historic defeat in November. I agree with their fears and that is why I voted for Trump in my state's primary on Super Tuesday.

I believe that only when the GOP suffers a massive defeat will it purge itself of the crazies and forces of intolerance that have taken control of it. Then, and only then, can the GOP become a center-right governing party that deserves to occupy the White House.

The death of today's Republican Party is, therefore, necessary to its survival, in my opinion. And Donald Trump can make it happen, which is why I voted for him.

Commentary by Bruce Bartlett, who served as domestic policy adviser to Ronald Reagan and a Treasury Department official under George H.W.Bush. He also worked on Capitol Hill for the late Rep. Jack Kemp. He is now a writer living in Virginia. Follow him on Twitter @BruceBartlett.

The Democratic Party centrist... LOL
wenn2670528.jpg

Manbearpig says not...

Mike Segar | Reuters

Spot on. This echoes a post I made a few days ago. The Republican party has to fracture, let the hard right-wing portion, the people in the society that cannot face or accept the rapid changes taking place in the society, spin off into a third party, likely the Tea Party or some similar thing, and then rebuild a more moderate Republican party that acknowledges the demographics change in the society (more minorities, gays accepted, women with equal pay), and which can operate within the society.

The very loud voice coming from the Republican party right now, which is drowning out the moderates, is saying "we don't compromise on anything, we want a tyrant that will force society back to the 1950s". There is no sustainable future for this voice. They'd have to implement draconian anti-democratic laws or have someone like trump become an actual strong man dictator. Don't look now but the military is already weighing in saying they won't follow a number of things trump's says he'll have them do.

The coming bloodletting in the GOP is needed and after it's over maybe that party can rebuild and become relevant again. And the diminishing angry minority can fade away over time.

You people in this minority, things change. I wish TWA was still around.

Mike Segar | Reuters

Spot on. This echoes a post I made a few days ago. The Republican party has to fracture, let the hard right-wing portion, the people in the society that cannot face or accept the rapid changes taking place in the society, spin off into a third party, likely the Tea Party or some similar thing, and then rebuild a more moderate Republican party that acknowledges the demographics change in the society (more minorities, gays accepted, women with equal pay), and which can operate within the society.

The very loud voice coming from the Republican party right now, which is drowning out the moderates, is saying "we don't compromise on anything, we want a tyrant that will force society back to the 1950s". There is no sustainable future for this voice. They'd have to implement draconian anti-democratic laws or have someone like trump become an actual strong man dictator. Don't look now but the military is already weighing in saying they won't follow a number of things trump's says he'll have them do.

The coming bloodletting in the GOP is needed and after it's over maybe that party can rebuild and become relevant again. And the diminishing angry minority can fade away over time.

Exactly.

And in some aspects many on the extreme, reactionary right want to force American society back to the 1850s.

Mike Segar | Reuters

Exactly.

And in some aspects many on the extreme, reactionary right want to force American society back to the 1850s.
Tissue?

Mike Segar | Reuters

The Tea Party has shattered the Republican party into pieces. There is no Unity. You have the majority that are moderate Republicans--then you've got the right or should I say Reich wing of the party that has cost Republicans the election in 2012 and now 2016. It's out of ignorance of what government can and cannot do.

A great article describing why Mitt Romney lost in 2012 is here:
Why Romney Lost And Republicans Keep Losing

In 2012 the Evangelical wing of the party decided to make their platform about abortion. Of course abortion is a 45 year old settled U.S. Supreme court issue, but for some reason they still think it's a political one. This of course then went into who's not going to pay for birth control pills, and what was legal legitimate rape questions, that were always answered by an ancient white male Republican. This sent women running into Barack Obama's column by double digits, younger women by 36 points. Basically they were "offended" into giving Barack Obama a 2nd term.
The GOP's woman problem goes beyond Trump
Gender Gap in 2012 Vote Is Largest in Gallup's History

In 2016, it's another large voting block that Republicans need, Hispanics. 17% of the population or 23 million Latino's have been "offended" into voting for Hillary Clinton. Of course in 2012, one of the platform topics was immigration/deporation and Romney only captured 27% of this block. The last Republican President to win was G. W Bush and he captured 44% of this block. The GOP nominee, since Reagan has had to capture at least 40% of this block to win the White House. This year it's 46%. Trump is polling at a Negative 80% with this block.
GOP Win Will Need More Than 40 Percent Of Latino 2016 Vote, Says Study
Latino conservatives: If Donald Trump is the nominee, we will not work to elect him
Poll: 75% of Latinos Have Negative View of Donald Trump

The Tea Party, is lead by Mr. Talent on loan from Gawwwwddd-d Rush Limbaugh and all the other right wing talk show hosts that fill their audiences with 3 or more daily hours of right wing hyperbole for political entertainment and profits. They promote candidates based on this hyperbole, such as Ted Cruz a Canadian born candidate, that would be certain to be challenged on his eligibility. He is too far right to win a National election. Women nor Independents would vote for him. They have promoted Donald Trump to their audiences, another one that could not possibly win the White House, and is really only good at driving people off. These right wing talk shows hosts have incited this anger within the Republican party, and exploited this ignorance and bigotry.

So you're right the Tea Party is destroying the Republican party right before our eyes, and the only way to stop it is for Hillary Clinton to win in a landslide election.

tea_party_teenager.jpg

rush-gop-leader.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, one guys vote and we're "destroyed".

His one vote can't destroy the GOP any more than my one vote for Trump could. The GOP it's self is required for the complete destruction that we are seeing. Looks like all the hate and fear that the right has been pushing for so long is finally paying off, but not in the way they intended.

The progressive establishment GOP career politician deserves to be destroyed and never be seen again…

Beware_of_RINO.jpg

Forum List

Back