"Brownie....You're Doin' A Helluva Job"

Mandatory evacuations in some parts of the city were issued 2 days before the storm.

There was a mandatory evacuation the day before the storm hit. Many people, including myself, and presumably the bus drivers, were under contract not to leave in the event of a hurricane, on pain of being fired. I considered staying for about 5 minutes, before I made up my mind that my job billing Medicare at Charity Hospital was not as important as saving myself and my family, and I got the hell out of town. I seriously doubt that any of those bus drivers would have felt so concerned about their school bus driving job that they would have put their family at risk and report to work. New Orleans had never had a mandatory evacuation before.

Nevertheless. The issue is not about bus drivers. The issue is about the slow emergency response from various government agencies after the storm.

Let me give you a hypothetical then...

Let's pretend that Ray Nagin had his shit together and as that storm crossed Florida and regained strength out in the Gulf...he informed the people of New Orleans that if the storm WERE to head towards the city that he would be declaring a mandatory evacuation and that transportation for that evacuation would be provided with city school buses for anyone who did not have a car as was outlined in the city's emergency evacuation plan!

Let's pretend that people got on those buses and evacuated New Orleans instead of going to the Superdome.

What happens following the storm while FEMA is trying to get it's people and supplies through the giant punch bowl filled with flood waters that New Orleans had become? Is there an issue with desperate people running out of food and water at the Superdome? Obviously no, because FEMA had stocked the Superdome with supplies before the storm...just nowhere near the amounts needed to provide for all the people that Nagin didn't get out of the city! Is the Coast Guard desperately trying to rescue people off rooftops in the lower wards? Probably a few holdouts but if Nagin had gotten the majority of those people out of the city the number of deaths from the storm would have been very few.

So what government REALLY failed the people of New Orleans?
Ok, let's follow your hypothetical to it's logical conclusion. Nagin follows the plan .... somehow get hundreds of bus drivers to abandon their own families to bus folks out of New Orleans .... they follow the plan and drive to the north side of Lake Pontchartrain to wait for the storm to pass .... the hurricane follows them to the north and thousands more die, stuck in busses which can't escape the storm's path.

All that remains the same as what actually happened is righties' screaming Nagin's head on a pike.

LOL....why would the buses go north when that's the projected path of the storm? Most of the evacuees from New Orleans went west to Houston. You get more pathetic with each post where you try to excuse Nagin's incompetence, Faun.

And just to show that you're REALLY clueless...even going north and inexplicably staying in the path of the storm they would have been far safer than in New Orleans.
That was the plan you keep saying they should have followed. How quickly you abandon your own position once you hear how stupid it is.

How have I abandoned my position? The city of New Orleans had an emergency evacuation plan that recognized that a large percentage of the city did not own cars and therefore would have no means to evacuate if called on to do so. The solution to that was a plan that called for school buses to be used to transport those people out of the city. That plan was in place LONG before Katrina formed.

Yet when the city WAS threatened by a category 5 storm...Ray Nagin inexplicably didn't follow his own emergency evacuation plan! He didn't use the school buses! He left them sitting in bus yards to be destroyed by flood waters while at the last minute he told people to get rides from their neighbors or from other people at church. The only thing that was "abandoned" was the plan that was abandoned by Ray Nagin...something that you can't explain away.

this thread was started by a libtardian in a poorly veiled attempt to bash Bush and take the focus off of Obama's failures and Hillary's criminal acts.

We get it. Best to ignore the idiots rather than try to educate them. The liberal brain is not receptive to truth.

Who knows? How does one gather hundreds of bus drivers, many of whom had already evacuated?

There was a mandatory evacuation the day before the storm hit. Many people, including myself, and presumably the bus drivers, were under contract not to leave in the event of a hurricane, on pain of being fired. I considered staying for about 5 minutes, before I made up my mind that my job billing Medicare at Charity Hospital was not as important as saving myself and my family, and I got the hell out of town. I seriously doubt that any of those bus drivers would have felt so concerned about their school bus driving job that they would have put their family at risk and report to work. New Orleans had never had a mandatory evacuation before.

Nevertheless. The issue is not about bus drivers. The issue is about the slow emergency response from various government agencies after the storm.
Mandatory evacuations in some parts of the city were issued 2 days before the storm.

How long does it take to put a plan into action that's already in place? Yet he STILL failed to do so!
Who knows? How does one gather hundreds of bus drivers, many of whom had already evacuated?

Let's pretend that Ray Nagin had his shit together and as that storm crossed Florida and regained strength out in the Gulf...he informed the people of New Orleans that if the storm WERE to head towards the city that he would be declaring a mandatory evacuation and that transportation for that evacuation would be provided with city school buses for anyone who did not have a car as was outlined in the city's emergency evacuation plan!

Let's pretend that people got on those buses and evacuated New Orleans instead of going to the Superdome.

What happens following the storm while FEMA is trying to get it's people and supplies through the giant punch bowl filled with flood waters that New Orleans had become? Is there an issue with desperate people running out of food and water at the Superdome? Obviously no, because FEMA had stocked the Superdome with supplies before the storm...just nowhere near the amounts needed to provide for all the people that Nagin didn't get out of the city! Is the Coast Guard desperately trying to rescue people off rooftops in the lower wards? Probably a few holdouts but if Nagin had gotten the majority of those people out of the city the number of deaths from the storm would have been very few.

Ok, let's follow your hypothetical to it's logical conclusion. Nagin follows the plan .... somehow get hundreds of bus drivers to abandon their own families to bus folks out of New Orleans .... they follow the plan and drive to the north side of Lake Pontchartrain to wait for the storm to pass .... the hurricane follows them to the north and thousands more die, stuck in busses which can't escape the storm's path.

All that remains the same as what actually happened is righties' screaming Nagin's head on a pike.

LOL....why would the buses go north when that's the projected path of the storm? Most of the evacuees from New Orleans went west to Houston. You get more pathetic with each post where you try to excuse Nagin's incompetence, Faun.

And just to show that you're REALLY clueless...even going north and inexplicably staying in the path of the storm they would have been far safer than in New Orleans.

New levels of Stupid... if a storm is coming from the south, i.e. travelling north... THEN YOU GO NORTH, TO GET AHEAD OF IT.

Where else would you go? SOUTH? :banghead:

What a collossal fucking IDIOT.

Further, except for a very limited 24-mile-long Causeway bridge which is by design severely limited (i.e. if you get partially across and traffic stops, you're sitting directly over a soon-to-rise Lake Ponchartrain), there is no route to the north -- you have to go west or east first.

Most evacuees from NOLA btw habitually go to Baton Rouge. I have no idea why that is other than it being not below sea level. Me, I went northwest -- both NORTH and WEST being AWAY from the path of the hurricane.

Holy SHIT that was a stupid post.

New levels of Stupid... if a storm is coming from the south, i.e. travelling north... THEN YOU GO NORTH, TO GET AHEAD OF IT.

Further, except for a very limited 24-mile-long Causeway bridge which is by design severely limited (i.e. if you get partially across and traffic stops, you're sitting directly over a soon-to-rise Lake Ponchartrain), there is no route to the north -- you have to go west or east first.

Most evacuees from NOLA btw habitually go to Baton Rouge. I have no idea why that is other than it being not below sea level. Me, I went northwest -- both NORTH and WEST being AWAY from the path of the hurricane.

Yes, your post surely is stupid. Look at a map. I 59 goes north, I 55 goes north. Hwy 49 in Miss goes north. Those roads had contraflow implemented so that both sides were north-only during the evacuation.

the bottom line is that the loss of life is primarily due to the incompetence of Nagin and Blanco (who hated each other by the way).

Yes, your post surely is stupid. Look at a map. I 59 goes north, I 55 goes north. Hwy 49 in Miss goes north. Those roads had contraflow implemented so that both sides were north-only during the evacuation.

the bottom line is that the loss of life is primarily due to the incompetence of Nagin and Blanco (who hated each other by the way).

No shit Sherlock, I know those roads in my sleep; I have no need of a "map". The poster was questioning why we would be going north when the storm was coming from the south.

I mean DUH.

The point remains, none of those roads go north until you get TO them, which requires first going east or west, which means I-10 or its antecedent, US 90. So one goes east or west for the larger purpose of GOING NORTH.

In my case I had planned to use I-55 but was prevented by the flow being diverted to Baton Rouge :puke: so I had to pick up 61 -- a road I've known intimately since babyhood.

I wasn't the person who SAID they should go north and remain in the path of the storm...that was Faun...trying desperately to come up with an excuse for why Ray Nagin didn't evacuate people out of that city. He's the "idiot" who thinks the only way out of New Orleans is to go north. I was saying that the exit route that would have made the most sense given Katrina's track was to go west towards Texas. You're right...that really WAS a stupid post! Unfortunately for you...Faun is the one who made it!

Either way the local Govt. dropped the ball by not utilizing the busses and letting people stay.

They also didn't follow their own emergency evacuation measures. None of the locals were prepared for a hurricane and that's the truth. They also had no problem looting every store they could find and not just for food.

I wasn't the person who SAID they should go north and remain in the path of the storm...that was Faun...trying desperately to come up with an excuse for why Ray Nagin didn't evacuate people out of that city. He's the "idiot" who thinks the only way out of New Orleans is to go north. I was saying that the exit route that would have made the most sense given Katrina's track was to go west towards Texas. You're right...that really WAS a stupid post! Unfortunately for you...Faun is the one who made it!

Really. Whose name is on this?

LOL....why would the buses go north when that's the projected path of the storm?

That's all yours, retard.

LOL....why would the buses go north when that's the projected path of the storm?

That IS all mine and I stand by it! I'm mocking Faun for claiming that if Nagin HAD evacuated the city that those people would have died by the thousands because they would have still been in the path of the storm! Have you not had your morning cup of coffee?

Either way the local Govt. dropped the ball by not utilizing the busses and letting people stay.

They also didn't follow their own emergency evacuation measures. None of the locals were prepared for a hurricane and that's the truth. They also had no problem looting every store they could find and not just for food.

This whole idea of "mandatory" versus "voluntary" evacuation is a complete red herring. As posted innumerable times already there are ALWAYS those who ride out, regardless of whether the government holds your hand and decides for your what you should do. That's true in Louisiana, Florida, the fucking Philippines, anywhere tropical storms exist. I literally know of NOBODY who bases their decision on whether to go or not on what a local government says. You can certainly evacuate without an 'order' to do so, and you can certainly ignore that order and stay put.

This idea that the government somehow controls what people do just has no basis in the real world.

Second, New Orleanians, Louisianans, Mississippians et al certainly WERE prepared for the storm. The storm itself did little damage in the way of human lives. The flooding was the causation there. And the flooding was due to the levee failure, and the levee failure was due to poor construction by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Last edited:
Faun seems to think that if they HAD evacuated with buses that they would have stopped just north of the city and waited for the storm to hit. How he arrived at THAT conclusion you'd have to ask him yourself. I'm pretty sure that WASN'T how the evacuation plan was drawn up! LOL

That IS all mine and I stand by it! I'm mocking Faun for claiming that if Nagin HAD evacuated the city that those people would have died by the thousands because they would have still been in the path of the storm! Have you not had your morning cup of coffee?

Apparently armchair ten-years-later Monday morning quarterbacks living in East Jipip Kansas have no clue how hurricanes work.

A tropical storm weakens once it gets over land because its fuel supply is compromised. That's one reason we're dismayed about the barrier islands destroyed by oil companies. So the farther ahead you get of a storm -- on land -- the weaker the storm gets as it dies down. And there is no way to put more distance between yourself and another object than a straight line. How stupid can you be?

This whole idea of "mandatory" versus "voluntary" evacuation is a complete red herring. As posted innumerable times already there are ALWAYS those who ride out, regardless of whether the government holds your hand and decides for your what you should do. That's true in Louisiana, Florida, the fucking Philippines, anywhere tropical storms exist. I literally know of NOBODY who bases their decision on whether to go or not on what a local government says. You can certainly evacuate without an 'order' to do so, and you can certainly ignore that order and stay put.

This idea that the government somehow controls what people do just has no basis in the real world.

Second, New Orleanians, Louisianans, Mississippians et al certainly WERE prepared for the storm. The storm itself did little damage in the way of human lives. The flooding was the causation there. And the flooding was due to the levee failure, and the levee failure was due to poor construction by the Army Corps of Engineers.

No it was due to the fact that they never repaired those levee's because of lack of money. It was well know that the levee system needed extensive upgrading.

No one forced those folks to stay in New Orleans and if Nagin had used those hundreds of buses many of they could have gotten to safety.

Of course there are those who will stay.

I live in Florida pal so no one has to tell me about hurricanes, flooding or storm surges. I've lived them many, many times.

Second, New Orleanians, Louisianans, Mississippians et al certainly WERE prepared for the storm. The storm itself did little damage in the way of human lives. The flooding was the causatiohn there. And the flooding was due to the levee failure, and the levee failure was due to poor construction by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Gee, you live in an area that is below sea level protected by levees built to protect the city from storms up to a category 3 and there is a monster storm out in the Gulf headed your way...do you think that "flooding" might be a concern that would prompt you to evacuate?

As for poor construction by the Army Corps of Engineers? Millions of dollars in Federal funds were approved to be used along with matching State and local funds to repair the levee system in New Orleans but those funds were never put into use because local politicians spent local money on OTHER projects that benefited them or the people who were giving them payoffs and there were no funds left to match the Federal money.

Apparently armchair ten-years-later Monday morning quarterbacks living in East Jipip Kansas have no clue how hurricanes work.

A tropical storm weakens once it gets over land because its fuel supply is compromised. That's one reason we're dismayed about the barrier islands destroyed by oil companies. So the farther ahead you get of a storm -- on land -- the weaker the storm gets as it dies down. And there is no way to put more distance between yourself and another object than a straight line. How stupid can you be?

First of all...I live in Florida...on the coast. I know more about how hurricanes work than most, thank you!

As for being stupid? Why would you try to put distance between you and a storm headed due north by going due north in a straight line? That's idiotic. If someone threw a fastball at your head would you move to the side to avoid it...or would you go away from it in a straight line on the same path it's coming at you? You can go due north to avoid a hurricane going due north...I'm going to go due west or due east to avoid that hurricane! But that's just me...:cuckoo:

And the reason that barrier islands being destroyed is bad isn't that it allows storms to get stronger from being over water, you buffoon! The reason that destroying barrier islands is bad is that they provide protection from storm surge! You're clueless about this topic. Seriously...

No it was due to the fact that they never repaired those levee's because of lack of money. It was well know that the levee system needed extensive upgrading.

No one forced those folks to stay in New Orleans and if Nagin had used those hundreds of buses many of they could have gotten to safety.

So ---- first it's "Nagin could have got them out" -- then in the next sentence "of course there are those who will stay".

--- Which way you wanna go here? Do people have free will, or do they not?

Again... NOBODY bases their decision on whether to evacuate or not on what the local government says. I've stayed when they said "go" and I've gone when they didn't. And that's true of, literally everybody I know.

As for the levees themselves, they were simply not constructed the way they should have been (not a matter of "repair" but original design), and that's on the ACofE, and that's been determined in court.

>> Corps officials initially said they had never known a levee to fail this way, and they suggested that no one could have predicted it. But the civil engineers panel said yesterday that the failure was foreseen by the Corps' own studies, dating to the mid-1980s. It said the Corps' failure to anticipate the problem reflected an "overall pattern of engineering judgment inconsistent with that required for critical structures." << -- Army Corps Faulted

But as far as those who stayed being prepared for the storm --- which was your original point --- they were.

Last edited:

Second, New Orleanians, Louisianans, Mississippians et al certainly WERE prepared for the storm. The storm itself did little damage in the way of human lives. The flooding was the causatiohn there. And the flooding was due to the levee failure, and the levee failure was due to poor construction by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Gee, you live in an area that is below sea level protected by levees built to protect the city from storms up to a category 3 and there is a monster storm out in the Gulf headed your way...do you think that "flooding" might be a concern that would prompt you to evacuate?

As for poor construction by the Army Corps of Engineers? Millions of dollars in Federal funds were approved to be used along with matching State and local funds to repair the levee system in New Orleans but those funds were never put into use because local politicians spent local money on OTHER projects that benefited them or the people who were giving them payoffs and there were no funds left to match the Federal money.

Umm... the ACofE doesn't build levees by throwing money at them. They build them by designing and building them. Directly.

Dumbass.

Before hurricane Charlie hit the Fort Myers area most of the models had it making landfall up around Tampa. Funny thing though, Faun...local officials in Southwest Florida prepared like the storm might hit us. Now why would they do that? An even better question...WHY DIDN'T RAY NAGIN?
Why didn't you answer? Remind me.... how many days before Charley hiy Florida did they evacuate Miami-Dade, Broward & Palm Beach counties?
Still no answer to the question above??

What gives?

Why would they call for an evacuation from a storm that was barely a category 1 as it approached the Atlantic Coast of Florida? Do you not grasp the difference between a category 1 storm and a category 5 storm? Anyone that knows how hurricanes generally operate down here in the Gulf understands that hurricanes can "regenerate" over the much warmer Gulf waters and become much more powerful than they were in the Atlantic before they make landfall again.
Dayam. It's like you just don't want to answer my question. Now you're answering questions I didn't ask. I didn't ask what categories those hurricanes were when evacuations were underway, which you got wrong anyway. I asked, when we're evacuations ordered for Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties? That question seeks a time, not a level of a hurricane.

And for the record, Katrina wasn't a cat 5 until the day before hitting NO. She was a cat 3 the day before that when evacuations were already underway.

And Charley was a cat 2 when they began evacuating areas in Florida.

So ---- first it's "Nagin could have got them out" -- then in the next sentence "of course there are those who will stay".

--- Which way you wanna go here? Do people have free will, or do they not?

Again... NOBODY bases their decision on whether to evacuate or not on what the local government says. I've stayed when they said "go" and I've gone when they didn't. And that's true of, literally everybody I know.

As for the levees themselves, they were simply not constructed the way they should have been (not a matter of "repair" but original design), and that's on the ACofE, and that's been determined in court.

>> Corps officials initially said they had never known a levee to fail this way, and they suggested that no one could have predicted it. But the civil engineers panel said yesterday that the failure was foreseen by the Corps' own studies, dating to the mid-1980s. It said the Corps' failure to anticipate the problem reflected an "overall pattern of engineering judgment inconsistent with that required for critical structures." << -- Army Corps Faulted

But as far as those who stayed being prepared for the storm --- which was your original point --- they were.

There are always those who chose to stay and have no problem expecting someone to risk their lives to come rescue them.

Glad you think they were prepared. Kinda funny all that looting of food and water was done because they were so prepared.

Those levee's needed work and the Govt. in LA decided that money needed to be spent somewhere else.

Tell me again who's to blame??

First of all...I live in Florida...on the coast. I know more about how hurricanes work than most, thank you!

As for being stupid? Why would you try to put distance between you and a storm headed due north by going due north in a straight line? That's idiotic. If someone threw a fastball at your head would you move to the side to avoid it...or would you go away from it in a straight line on the same path it's coming at you? You can go due north to avoid a hurricane going due north...I'm going to go due west or due east to avoid that hurricane! But that's just me...:cuckoo:

Because the fucking storm is several hundred miles wide, DUMBASS. Which means every minute veering to the side is a minute NOT going away from it.

In New Orleans you'd go west, not east, because east would put you on the wet side -- the wind coming off the water -- rather than the west side, coming off land where that water's been largely drained. Which you have to do anyway in order to go NORTH.

I-55, the northbound route that doesn't involve going east, is some 20 miles WEST of town depending on where you're coming from. Once you're on 55 and traveling faster than the storm is, you're home free.

For an asshat who claims to be in Florida you display an astounding pig-ignorance of how the fuck hurricanes work.

Forum List

Back