Brokered Convention

geauxtohell

Choose your weapon.
Jun 27, 2009
Out here in the middle.
Let's face it.... It's looking more and more plausible everyday as the GOP won't unite under one candidate. If this goes to a brokered convention, what might happen? Will the establishment cut a smokey back room deal to get what they want - a Romney candidate? Will Paul's loyal cadre pull an upset? Will the evangelicals finally start showing some clout? Or will their be a dark horse?

Sarah Palin: I'd

A thread for your discussion/wild ass speculation.

Let's face it.... It's looking more and more plausible everyday as the GOP won't unite under one candidate. If this goes to a brokered convention, what might happen? Will the establishment cut a smokey back room deal to get what they want - a Romney candidate? Will Paul's loyal cadre pull an upset? Will the evangelicals finally start showing some clout? Or will their be a dark horse?

I'm still going with a "Draft Jeb Bush" scenario.

I'm still going with a "Draft Jeb Bush" scenario.

Not a bad guess. I think Jeb is too smart for it.

He's not going to jump in half assed and steal a nomination that he hasn't earned. It would ruin his credibility with the base.

Plain on the other hand..........

It will be a historical event if it happens. We haven't seen a brokered convention in either party in decades.

Nobody but Paul...

Can he take a brokered convention?

I think he can. He has about 20% of the electorate who are fiercely loyal and will consider no one else. Most Republicans are on the "Anybody But Obama" train, and will back whoever the GOP nominates.

No Republican candidate can win in November without Ron Paul supporters, PERIOD.

Ron Paul can pull Indies and disaffected Dems, while the other guys can't.

If the GOP doesn't get their heads out of their collective asses, Obama wins in a cakewalk.

Nobody but Paul...

I think he can. He has about 20% of the electorate who are fiercely loyal and will consider no one else. Most Republicans are on the "Anybody But Obama" train, and will back whoever the GOP nominates.

No Republican candidate can win in November without Ron Paul supporters, PERIOD.

If the GOP doesn't get their heads out of their collective asses, Obama wins in a cakewalk.

I think Jeb Bush could. He seems well-liked on the right and doesn't scare independents and swing voters.

I don't think Bush would take the nomination. With Obama's approval rating rising as the economy does better, he's going to be really, really hard to beat. Any savvy Republican pol is going to sit this one out and hope better opportunities arise in 2016, when there will be no incumbent running.

I don't think Bush would take the nomination. With Obama's approval rating rising as the economy does better, he's going to be really, really hard to beat. Any savvy Republican pol is going to sit this one out and hope better opportunities arise in 2016, when there will be no incumbent running.

At the risk of being considered a spammer, woohooo Bush-Clinton II ! :mm:

I think Jeb Bush could. He seems well-liked on the right and doesn't scare independents and swing voters.

I wouldn't vote for another Bush if there was a gun to my head. I'm tired of political families treating our country as their own personal fiefdom.

We live in interesting times. How is this for "wild speculation":

As the weeks pass and the results continue to show no clear winner of the GOP nomination a 'dark horse', someone not seeking the GOP nod, will appear and a well funded third party movement will emerge. Think 1948 and the Dixiecrats.

The Republican Party will remain fractured up to and during the convention in FL. and Romney will prevail as the nominee. His choice for VP will be an ethnic minority, likely from the South or South West.

The General election will mimic the loss the GOP suffered in 1964, Obama will be elected to a second term and the Democrats will again win the HoR, the Senate will remain deadlocked. The Tea Party & Social Conservatives will split with the establishment Republicans and neo conservatives with the former supporting the third party candidate and the latter supporting Romney.

Nobody but Paul...

I think Paul is the one candidate that will buck the ABO mentality. He represents such a dramatic departure from what the rank and file perceive the GOP to be that I don't think he get their votes in the general.

I think Paul stands a better chance in a brokered convention personally. The bound delegates will become unbound and he has been working to secure the delegate spots for his loyal people. I would imagine his caucus strategy would be used in the primary states too in order to cover the possibility of a brokered convention and it may be what he has been shooting for all along.

I also think the fact that the primary wins have been split helps him because with their proportionate allocation of delegates and the winner take all format benefits him in the long run. We could actually see him come out on top if the other candidates keep splitting the primary delegates.

Last edited:
The GObP is in complete chaos. Fun to watch.

When I posted this story yesterday, I said I'd love to see $arah leap into the breach. Maybe she could get DuhDonuld to join her.

Great fun.

A while back Jeb said he won't run for President because it would be to much like a... I can’t remember the word lol, but where a family runs Government... and he is right. People talked about it with the Clintons as well.

I also doubt Jeb with get any Dems to vote for him, he will also have a hard time with the indy vote, his name is Bush.

Dynasty!!! That’s the word.

A while back Jeb said he won't run for President because it would be to much like a... I can’t remember the word lol, but where a family runs Government... and he is right. People talked about it with the Clintons as well.

I also doubt Jeb with get any Dems to vote for him, he will also have a hard time with the indy vote, his name is Bush.

Dynasty!!! That’s the word.

I don't get the sense that people fell the same way about Jeb, as they do about Dubya. I also feel, if he were chosen he'd run, regardless of what he's said before. He just seems loyal that way.

Palin/Paul would be awesome. We'd unwind 100 years of the Progressive Jihad in one term

I usually don't watch a lot of the republican convention but this year I am going to be glued to the screen. The usual happy carnival atmosphere will be missing and there will be thousands of people in that hall itching for confrontation. If there is not an actual riot or at least a couple of brawls I will be very surprised. It's sure to get ugly and end with the GOP fractured and unelectable.

I usually don't watch a lot of the republican convention but this year I am going to be glued to the screen. The usual happy carnival atmosphere will be missing and there will be thousands of people in that hall itching for confrontation. If there is not an actual riot or at least a couple of brawls I will be very surprised. It's sure to get ugly and end with the GOP fractured and unelectable.

Outdoing the Dems in '68 would be cool. We haven't had that level of political theater in a while. I can see it now, the people in the streets chanting "the whole world is laughing". :cool:

Forum List

Back