Brokered Convention

Can he take a brokered convention?

I think he can. He has about 20% of the electorate who are fiercely loyal and will consider no one else. Most Republicans are on the "Anybody But Obama" train, and will back whoever the GOP nominates.

No Republican candidate can win in November without Ron Paul supporters, PERIOD.

Ron Paul can pull Indies and disaffected Dems, while the other guys can't.

If the GOP doesn't get their heads out of their collective asses, Obama wins in a cakewalk.

I think Jeb Bush could. He seems well-liked on the right and doesn't scare independents and swing voters.
Jeb! will bring up the DYNASTY talk that surrounded the Secretary of State. He is not as well like as Republicans believe.

Palin/Paul would be awesome. We'd unwind 100 years of the Progressive Jihad in one term

They'd have to win the election first. Don't hold your breath. :tongue:

I think it would be hilarious if the snowbilly grifter rooked the GOP into making her the nominee.

You be able to listen quietly and hear the GOP committing Hari Kari.

I think he can. He has about 20% of the electorate who are fiercely loyal and will consider no one else. Most Republicans are on the "Anybody But Obama" train, and will back whoever the GOP nominates.

No Republican candidate can win in November without Ron Paul supporters, PERIOD.

If the GOP doesn't get their heads out of their collective asses, Obama wins in a cakewalk.

I think Jeb Bush could. He seems well-liked on the right and doesn't scare independents and swing voters.

I wouldn't vote for another Bush if there was a gun to my head. I'm tired of political families treating our country as their own personal fiefdom.

If you put a gun to my head I will vote for whoever you tell me to. But I will have my fingers crossed and everyone knows crossed fingers nullify all promises.

I think Paul is the one candidate that will buck the ABO mentality. He represents such a dramatic departure from what the rank and file perceive the GOP to be that I don't think he get their votes in the general.

It'd be their loss. From a GOP standpoint, the worst a Paul election would do is stall forward progress for four years. There'd be no new war unless we were attacked. There'd be no Democrat action because it would all be vetoed. The real danger of a Paul presidency is that he has great ideas but the Congress doesn't have the balls to implement them.

The idea the Republican party would pick someone who didn't spend a single day on the 2012 campaign trail, like Jeb Bush or Sarah Palin, requires seven pounds of brain damage to believe.

It takes nearly that much to believe they would pick Ron Paul. Romney and Santorum would have to be filmed throwing live puppies into rush hour traffic for that to happen.

Ron Paul can use his leverage to get something into the GOP platform, like regular Fed audits, but nothing more than that.

The idea the Republican party would pick someone who didn't spend a single day on the 2012 campaign trail, like Jeb Bush or Sarah Palin, requires seven pounds of brain damage to believe. These are pols we are talking about. The voters may not like it much but I have no doubts that the political parties might do just that. Full disclosure, I have eight pounds of brain damage.:eusa_whistle:

It takes nearly that much to believe they would pick Ron Paul. Romney and Santorum would have to be filmed throwing live puppies into rush hour traffic for that to happen. That I can believe. Moral courage hasn't ever been a strong point in either party.

Ron Paul can use his leverage to get something into the GOP platform, like regular Fed audits, but nothing more than that. I hope he leverages something better. Platforms, like the Constitution, are something the party dispenses with entirely too easily

:cool:

There are over a 100 super delegates that can have an impact on whether there will be a brokered convention.

The last brokered conventions were:
Democratic - 1952 A Stevenson
Republican - 1948 Thomas Dewey

The last brokered nominee who was elected was FDR.

After the first ballot in the convention all delegates are free to vote for anyone nominated. We could see Palin nominated, Daniels, Bush or some other dark horse. However the most likely prospect if Romney fails to get the required votes is that a deal is made between two of the four candidates in the race now to keep that from happening.

It could be for the VP slot or party platform.

No one else named Bush will ever get the votes of anyone other than the Republican base.

The idea the Republican party would pick someone who didn't spend a single day on the 2012 campaign trail, like Jeb Bush or Sarah Palin, requires seven pounds of brain damage to believe.

It takes nearly that much to believe they would pick Ron Paul. Romney and Santorum would have to be filmed throwing live puppies into rush hour traffic for that to happen.

Ron Paul can use his leverage to get something into the GOP platform, like regular Fed audits, but nothing more than that.

Don't be so sure.

A prominent Republican senator just told me that if Romney can’t win in Michigan, the Republican Party needs to go back to the drawing board and convince somebody new to get into the race.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...omney-loses-michigan-we-need-a-new-candidate/

Last edited:
I dont pretend to know who will be the choice if we got to a brokered convention. Some of our best Presidents have come out of brokered conventions though. And I think if it is a brokered convention, it will work against the Democrats because the media ill be having a frenzy and the people will be paying attention more than if one person sailed into the convention as the nominee.

Sometimes God acts in mysterious ways.

I dont pretend to know who will be the choice if we got to a brokered convention. Some of our best Presidents have come out of brokered conventions though. And I think if it is a brokered convention, it will work against the Democrats because the media ill be having a frenzy and the people will be paying attention more than if one person sailed into the convention as the nominee.

Sometimes God acts in mysterious ways.

I don't think God is terribly concerned with our primary process....

At any rate, unlike events of the past, this brokered convention will represent a lack of enthusiasm among GOP voters, as opposed to a glut of good candidates or two good candidates that are neck and neck. I think it would be a disaster, and the bigwigs know it, which is why they are desparate to avoid it.

Though, reading between the lines, it's obvious that the GOPs main concern is simply winning as opposed to having any real issues to try and sell.

I have read, with keen interest, many of the musings of some Paulians.

If they are right, then according to their formulations, a brokered convention should yield EITHER Ron Paul as the nominee

:lmao:

OR

the GOP will then "nominate" the incumbent.

I have read, with keen interest, many of the musings of some Paulians.

If they are right, then according to their formulations, a brokered convention should yield EITHER Ron Paul as the nominee

:lmao:

OR

the GOP will then "nominate" the incumbent.

Hilarious that they think Paul would be accepted by hard core GOP delegates after he was rejected by average voters in every state.

Jeb's mother, Barbara, has endorsed Romney.

Forum List

Back