Britt Hume: Forgiveness depends on Christianity....

I just saw this bullshit on the news this morning.......

Brit Hume: Tiger Woods must become Christian to be forgiven

By David Edwards and Gavin Dahl
Sunday, January 3rd, 2010 -- 10:51 am
Share on Facebook Stumble This!

tigerwoods20080618 Brit Hume: Tiger Woods must become Christian to be forgivenBuddhism is inferior to Christianity when it comes to forgiveness of sins, according to Fox News pundit Brit Hume. Tiger Woods should turn his back on Buddhism and become a Christian to be forgiven for cheating on his wife, Hume told Fox News' Chris Wallace Sunday.

"The extent to which he can recover seems to me depends on his faith," said Hume. "He is said to be a Buddhist. I don't think that faith offers the kind of redemption and forgiveness offered by the Christian faith. My message to Tiger is, 'Tiger turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world."

Woods is the most famous among several American celebrity Buddhists. Richard Gere, Herbie Hancock, Steven Seagal, Leonard Cohen, Tina Turner and Orlando Bloom were recently called the most famous Buddhists in the world. The list goes so far as to argue Tiger Woods is more famous than the Dalai Lama himself.

Hume's statements are particularly ironic given the recent sex scandals encountered by an assortment of Christian politicians.

Two noted journalists criticized Hume's remarks.

Brit Hume: Tiger Woods must become Christian to be forgiven | Raw Story

What really pisses me off is that kind of attitude that most Christians seem to have today. I mean, it shouldn't really depend on one specific thing leading to God, but rather a person seeking Him out on a daily basis, no matter what faith.

What exactly does Mr. Hume know about Buddhism? I'm guessing not much, as I also saw a segment where Pat Robertson was talking about it, and he was making all sorts of comments on Buddhism, and got all of 'em wrong.

So do most Christians. What ever happened to love one another as yourself?

And, more importantly, what is this sudden trend of everyone (even the political pundits) bringing in Christianity into politics?

Nope......I think the idiots at FAUX should have left this one alone. What's even stupider, is that Hume did it on their Sunday segment where they get to talk about anything they want.

If that's his best as a news person, he should think about converting to NY pooper scooper.

Sudden Trend?

You mean like the other sudden trends of "mystical design" and "God hates gays" and the magicians who refused to give polititions their magical wafers because they disagreed with their politics and "9/11 happened because God lifed his viel of protection because of gays and feminists"?

Religion has been in politics for the last 30 years and is what is behind the Republican Party going all "loony".

The real messages is, "If you are straight and married and cheating on your wife, become a Christian. God will give you a free pass".

Absolutely right.

What's funny to me is that you libs who never ever stoop to watching Fox news know so much of what goes on there,, it's just astounding.. the hypocrisy and all.

What's funny to me is that you don't realize that this is all over the news media because of it's stupidity.

I wonder if the freedom loving righties would complain is a prominent muslim said that we should convert to Christiantiy to find redemption.

Hume is like a hemrhoid. You only know he's there because of the annoyzance.

Freedom of speech or stupidity of nation wide media speak?

The thing that's the most ironic is that mysticism and the occult are merely products of a delusional mind.

Religion and mysticism are the attempts to explain the unexplainable. (possible temporary condition) and it is much easier for the uneducated (over history) to say it was gods, spirits, or devils that controlled and caused rather than admitting that they just didn't know.

Much easier to convince the ignorant that there was a private secret conference with "god" who handed down the rules, than to say that this or that must happen because it is the right and decent thing to do, and because it makes it possible for humans to live in peace together.

Then, too, how much easier, when a ruler or those in power want something for their own reasons, to justify and/or blame things on "GOD TOLD ME!" That one has been working for how many millennia now?

I haven't been following this whole Tiger thing because I don't give a crap about it. Has Tiger said anything anywhere about wanting to be forgiven by God or a god?

Was the show Hume was on a news show? If not, then he was giving his opinion. Big whoop.

Hume looks sad because he looks like a bloodhound dog.

I agree with ABS on this "I mean, it shouldn't really depend on one specific thing leading to God, but rather a person seeking Him out on a daily basis, no matter what faith." Absolutely correct.

The thing that's the most ironic is that mysticism and the occult are merely products of a delusional mind.

Religion and mysticism are the attempts to explain the unexplainable. (possible temporary condition) and it is much easier for the uneducated (over history) to say it was gods, spirits, or devils that controlled and caused rather than admitting that they just didn't know.

Much easier to convince the ignorant that there was a private secret conference with "god" who handed down the rules, than to say that this or that must happen because it is the right and decent thing to do, and because it makes it possible for humans to live in peace together.

Then, too, how much easier, when a ruler or those in power want something for their own reasons, to justify and/or blame things on "GOD TOLD ME!" That one has been working for how many millennia now?

Making something up and then calling it the "unexplainable" doesn't mean it's no longer "made up".

Don't know what the big deal is really.

I mean, it's just another of the many examples of the fact that FoxNews should be named "FoxOpinion" channel.

Don't know what the big deal is really.

I mean, it's just another of the many examples of the fact that FoxNews should be named "FoxOpinion" channel.

What is amazing is that if it were Pat Robertson it would be acceptable commentary. But Brit Hume is their senior political analyst. For him to openly prostelitize puts his objectivity on political matters into question

Besides which, Hume is right. Of all the religions, for repentance and forgiveness, the Christian religion is the most comprehensive and successful.

Really? How is the Christian religion "better" for repentance and forgiveness?

I guess the Jewish people slaughtered goats and sheep just because they liked the smell, then eh? Probably didn't have anything to do with forgiveness.

Probably also cuts out the Buddhist, Taoist, and Hindu religions as well.

What about Native Americans? Can they get forgiveness from Father Sky, or are they just consigned to hell because they aren't Christians?

You know...........there is absolutely NO WAY that Christianity in its current incarnation can be more forgiving or repentant than any other.

If you have proof, then provide links and articles that demonstrate Christianity is that much better than any other.

If you can, I will recant.

If you don't, I will tell you Christians that you're a bunch of bigoted assholes.

Yes Christianity is the most forgiving religion of course unless you do not walk in lockstep with them then you are damned to an eternity in hell.

A good story to highlight the folly of this religious bickering is The Parable of the Three Rings By a German named Gotthold Lessing:

In the Orient in ancient times there lived a man who possessed a ring of inestimable worth. Its stone was an opal that emitted a hundred colors, but its real value lay in its ability to make its wearer beloved of God and man. The ring passed from father to most favored son for many generations, until finally its owner was a father with three sons, all equally deserving. Unable to decide which of the three sons was most worthy, the father commissioned a master artisan to make two exact copies of the ring, then gave each son a ring, and each son believed that he alone had inherited the original and true ring.

But instead of harmony, the father's plan brought only discord to his heirs. Shortly after the father died, each of the sons claimed to be the sole ruler of the father's house, each basing his claim to authority on the ring given to him by the father. The discord grew even stronger and more hateful when a close examination of the rings failed to disclose any differences.

The dispute among the brothers grew until their case was finally brought before a judge. After hearing the history of the original ring and its miraculous powers, the judge pronounced his conclusion: "The authentic ring," he said, "had the power to make its owner beloved of God and man, but each of your rings has brought only hatred and strife. None of you is loved by others; each loves only himself. Therefore I must conclude that none of you has the original ring. Your father must have lost it, then attempted to hide his loss by having three counterfeit rings made, and these are the rings that cause you so much grief."

The judge continued: "Or it may be that your father, weary of the tyranny of a single ring, made duplicates, which he gave to you. Let each of you demonstrate his belief in the power of his ring by conducting his life in such a manner that he fully merits -- as anciently promised -- the love of God and man.

The Three-Ring Parable: Tales of Type 972

Took a lot of courage for "Hume" to do what he did on National TV..

I also agree with him, 100%.

Tiger does need to bow a knee before His Creator, and repent, and receive Christ.

If you think he'll find the answer in Bhudism......etc....other than Christianity, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to get off my hands for $100.00, and will sell it to you skeptics. ;)

Tiger does need to bow a knee before His Creator, and repent, and receive Christ.

If you think he'll find the answer in Bhudism......etc....other than Christianity, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to get off my hands for $100.00, and will sell it to you skeptics. ;)

All religions are "equal" because they are all "equally" made up. There is no such things as "ghosts" and "spirits". If you find one, bring it over my house, I want to meet it.

Looks like you are selling it for less than you paid for it.

Ghosts and spirits yeah.
When I was a kid we had a family cemettary on the farm. I used to camp out behind it sometimes.
Some people used to ask me if I was scared , I said no if any of my relatives came up as a spirit I would just like to talk with them a while.

Why do people who believe in spirits and after life assume all people turn evil when they die?
But they got to heaven?
A bit confusing.

Looks like you are selling it for less than you paid for it.

Well it is govt property.
Right wingers like to privatize stuff at a loss.

I just saw this bullshit on the news this morning.......

Brit Hume: Tiger Woods must become Christian to be forgiven

By David Edwards and Gavin Dahl
Sunday, January 3rd, 2010 -- 10:51 am
Share on Facebook Stumble This!

tigerwoods20080618 Brit Hume: Tiger Woods must become Christian to be forgivenBuddhism is inferior to Christianity when it comes to forgiveness of sins, according to Fox News pundit Brit Hume. Tiger Woods should turn his back on Buddhism and become a Christian to be forgiven for cheating on his wife, Hume told Fox News' Chris Wallace Sunday.

"The extent to which he can recover seems to me depends on his faith," said Hume. "He is said to be a Buddhist. I don't think that faith offers the kind of redemption and forgiveness offered by the Christian faith. My message to Tiger is, 'Tiger turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world."

Woods is the most famous among several American celebrity Buddhists. Richard Gere, Herbie Hancock, Steven Seagal, Leonard Cohen, Tina Turner and Orlando Bloom were recently called the most famous Buddhists in the world. The list goes so far as to argue Tiger Woods is more famous than the Dalai Lama himself.

Hume's statements are particularly ironic given the recent sex scandals encountered by an assortment of Christian politicians.

Two noted journalists criticized Hume's remarks.

Brit Hume: Tiger Woods must become Christian to be forgiven | Raw Story

What really pisses me off is that kind of attitude that most Christians seem to have today. I mean, it shouldn't really depend on one specific thing leading to God, but rather a person seeking Him out on a daily basis, no matter what faith.

I have heart the segment several times, and in it I heard love and concern rather than an intentional cut of another religion, or of anyone. I felt that Humes was making a plea to Woods to seek what he (Humes) believed to be Wood's best and even only hope. I believe it was all with good intentions. But, I am a Christian who has been praying that Woods would seek God and find Him.

What exactly does Mr. Hume know about Buddhism? I'm guessing not much, as I also saw a segment where Pat Robertson was talking about it, and he was making all sorts of comments on Buddhism, and got all of 'em wrong.

So do most Christians. What ever happened to love one another as yourself?

Over the time that I have been entertined by message boards, I would have to reverse your statement. Most of those who down Christianity have no clue about Christianity. I also agree that most Christians don't know much about Buddhism, and many of the other religions. In most cases neither of us have enough knowledge of other religions to cur them down.

However, when one religion is in worship, or doing what their faith commands them to do such as "tell the Good News" to the world, we are not putting down any other religion, we are telling about ours.

And, more importantly, what is this sudden trend of everyone (even the political pundits) bringing in Christianity into politics?

Nope......I think the idiots at FAUX should have left this one alone. What's even stupider, is that Hume did it on their Sunday segment where they get to talk about anything they want.

If that's his best as a news person, he should think about converting to NY pooper scooper.

LOL...just LOL. The man was talking about a sports figure who is in deep trouble on many levels of life, and expressing his personal views of where hope casn be found. He did it in love. However, I don't remember that it had anything to do with politics. Sowhere is that coming from?

Agreed.:clap2:

Hume, I think you broke a record by Offending two Religions at one time! He offended Buddisim by suggesting Tiger Leave that Religion just so he could make a comeback..He offended Christians by suggesting Tiger become a Christian just so he could make a comeback..Way to go Hume :clap2:! Another Fucktard on FUX News!

You know? If redemption and forgiveness were based on either Christianity as it is currently practiced today, or Buddhism as it is currently practiced today, I'd have to go with Buddhism.

Why? Simple........they haven't cherry picked and bastardized their religion, Christianity has.

What I am trying to figure out is how does Tiger becoming Christian is going to improve his situation.

The man is a habitual cheating load of crap. Does becoming a Christian nullify that? I say no. Will it repair his marriage. I seriously doubt it. Then why should Tiger change his religion?

If I am not mistaken, Buddhism teachings one to be faithful to their spouse and look down on infidelity as well. So if Tiger does not practice Buddhism correctly(folow its teachings) then why in the world would you expect him to practice Christianity(or one of its hundreds of denominations) correctly??

Apparently, Humes statement has less to do in helping Tiger Woods than it is to attracting single minded christians into viewing fox news due to Brit's "Moral Clarity"!! I guess even the cable News networks are starting to feel the pinch coming from the internet/media avalanche!!

Why pay for it when you can get it as part of your wide band services?? That is right folks, Cable news is on its death Bed!!

Forum List

Back