British Trolls Beware

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
A recent UK law could mean one identified internet troll could spend up to two years in jail.

I'm torn by this. Someone who threatens and attacks others online deserve more than just being restricted in their connections. At the same time, how exactly do you determine just who a troll is?

Any comments from this online crowd?

Read more with links @ Vox Popoli Trolls beware

Why doesn't anyone talk about what this troll did in particular?

You know I have brought this up before. You cannot and should not claim a person is for example a pedophile.

It seems others don't understand the language that is usable vs not usable.

Call someone an asshole. Okey dokey. Call someone like Ted Nugent a pedophile a distinct criminal you put the board at risk.

You cannot go out there and willy nilly claim someone is a criminal.

I hope some of the posters on this board finally get it.

Some people are far too sensitive.

Next thing you know they'll start criminalizing opposing views.

One I know in particular was a wife claiming her soon to be ex husband was a pedophile.

That has nothing to do with opposing views. His business was wiped out.

To me, hey I'm the old days it's called slander and you go for the throat. But it used to have to be filed in court. Not just at the click of a mouse.

Understand that British law is directed at abuse of real people.

Make-believe usernames? Not real people. Of course if one were posting under their real name that would be a pig of a different odor.

Public figures are also a different matter so cases might be made to allow criticism of them or their actions with truth as a valid defense.

I agree being slandered should be dealt with on a whole different level.

One I know in particular was a wife claiming her soon to be ex husband was a pedophile.

At one point in California when child custody and visitation rights were the central battle in messy divorce cases, almost 80% of women were claiming their husbands were child sex abusers. Thank the lawyers. The charges were bullshit of course, at least 97% of the time, and judges put their collective foot down. The "pedophile" defense in heterosexual unions about to dissolve, themselves dissolved.

You know I have brought this up before. You cannot and should not claim a person is for example a pedophile.

Call someone an asshole. Okey dokey. Call someone like Ted Nugent a pedophile a distinct criminal you put the board at risk.

Really. Ted Nugent was a pedophile, period.

The trolling act is just the latest in a series of exceptions to the right of freedom of expression in the UK.
Other exceptions are speech that is inciteful, insulting, glorifying terrorism, indecency, corruption of public morals, etc.
There have been arrests in the UK for wearing the T shirt that says Bullocks to Blair.

I understand the rationale behind attempting to prevent threatening speech. But, the UK takes too progressive of a position for my comfort.

Okay.

Sounds like sumin' a frick'n Redcoat would say. :badgrin:

Forum List

Back