British Muslims demand insulting Islam be outlawed

All this over a few Pakis in the UK protesting a film, huh?

Can somebody direct me to the thread protesting these protests?

A comparison:

"“Thousands have come together to show peacefully to the western world that the production and promotion of a recent film insulting Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) has caused hurt to Muslims all over the world. We are a peaceful community and we will do everything to protect peace and respect for all on equal basis. It’s not fair that some people insult Islam everyday and preach hatred through their actions and words but the lack of legislation encourages such elements. We want to tell our government that we welcome debate and constructive criticism of our religion but insults are unacceptable and inflammatory language is contributing to the rise of extremism amongst youth in western countries where youth mistakenly believe that the West hates Islam and Muslims.” (OP)

"“As far as I know, the magnitude of this act of public reparation is unparalleled. The moral outrage is real and Catholics proved it by forming the largest grassroots protest against blasphemy in history,” said TFP president Raymond E. Drake. “We will not remain silent as Our Divine Savior is publicly ridiculed and reviled by The Da Vinci Code or any anti-Catholic display of disrespect that targets the sacred person of Our Lord.” (link above)

See the difference?
Me neither.

Perspective: the buzzkill of paranoia.

Is your point that extremists are extremists, that they are all the same, that all attempts at inflicting one certain 'faith' on society is wrong, or what?

A comparison:

"“Thousands have come together to show peacefully to the western world that the production and promotion of a recent film insulting Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) has caused hurt to Muslims all over the world. We are a peaceful community and we will do everything to protect peace and respect for all on equal basis. It’s not fair that some people insult Islam everyday and preach hatred through their actions and words but the lack of legislation encourages such elements. We want to tell our government that we welcome debate and constructive criticism of our religion but insults are unacceptable and inflammatory language is contributing to the rise of extremism amongst youth in western countries where youth mistakenly believe that the West hates Islam and Muslims.” (OP)

"“As far as I know, the magnitude of this act of public reparation is unparalleled. The moral outrage is real and Catholics proved it by forming the largest grassroots protest against blasphemy in history,” said TFP president Raymond E. Drake. “We will not remain silent as Our Divine Savior is publicly ridiculed and reviled by The Da Vinci Code or any anti-Catholic display of disrespect that targets the sacred person of Our Lord.” (link above)

See the difference?
Me neither.

Yeah, they're known for peacefully gathering to voice their disapproval.

"Innocence of Muslims" is the title attributed to an anti-Islamic movie trailer. ... The protests have led to hundreds of injuries and over 75 deaths. ... participants and a Pakistani minister has offered a bounty for the killing of the producer Nakoula. ... film which was shown only once, to an audience of fewer than ten people.........

A comparison:

See the difference?
Me neither.

"Innocence of Muslims" is the title attributed to an anti-Islamic movie trailer. ... The protests have led to hundreds of injuries and over 75 deaths. ... participants and a Pakistani minister has offered a bounty for the killing of the producer Nakoula. ... film which was shown only once, to an audience of fewer than ten people.........

When it comes to Muslims in the West, ya - it's peaceful protests for the most part.

Ut-oh! I believe you are onto something there, There4! I am watching the news and apparently there is no cemetary plot available for the Boston Bomber. Not a single cemetary in the USA will accept his body for burial. The undertaker is appealing to the state to find a place to bury him. If they can't find a place to bury him why not cremate his body?

No Mosque is willing to give him a service either.

A comparison:

See the difference?
Me neither.

Is your point that extremists are extremists, that they are all the same, that all attempts at inflicting one certain 'faith' on society is wrong, or what?

Pretty much. I don't view either of those examples as "extremist"; I just note the contrast of reactions to them.

Or lack thereof.

A comparison:

See the difference?
Me neither.

The key difference between your comparison and the protest in England is this,
but insults are unacceptable
Protesting against something, even trying to get something like the Da Vinci Code banned is not petitioning the government to outright outlaw, on a national level, free speech that some may find offensive. You will notice most wanted a disclaimer concerning the Da Vinci Code, not necessarily an outright ban, so it doesn't appear to me to be a valid comparison.

A comparison:

See the difference?
Me neither.

So your response to my post is a unattributed quote about a movie trailer ... that you can't even link?

It gets denser and denser in here. :cuckoo:

A comparison:

See the difference?
Me neither.

Protesting against something, even trying to get something like the Da Vinci Code banned is not petitioning the government to outright outlaw, on a national level, free speech that some may find offensive. You will notice most wanted a disclaimer concerning the Da Vinci Code, not necessarily an outright ban, so it doesn't appear to me to be a valid comparison.

Semantics. The DaVinci protest said the same thing in different words. Granted I didn't link a DaVinci protest that called for the same objective but that wasn't the point.

As far as actual bans, Iran already did. So did Jordan. So did Egypt and Lebanon. And a state in India. In the Philippines a government official was on record calling for a ban.

Monty Python's Life of Brian was banned in several cities around the UK for up to thirty years, even in the home town of its main actress.

Some seem to want to pretend this religious insult huff-n-puff is something "foreign".

Beatles-records-banned-burned-and-trashed-by-many-in-August-1966..jpg

Again: perspective is the buzzkill of hysteria.

A comparison:

See the difference?
Me neither.

When it comes to Muslims in the West, ya - it's peaceful protests for the most part.

They can put on a peaceful front, like in Australia, for damage control.
A week after violent Muslim protests in Sydney, sections of Perth's Islamic community were out yesterday with one group distributing flowers.
But after a week of violent activity, I doubt the Australians were fooled by the flowers.
Just like America isn't fooled by a few Muslims denouncing the Boston terror attacks.

Muslim violence is proportionate to their numbers, for the most part.

A comparison:

See the difference?
Me neither.

Semantics. The DaVinci protest said the same thing in different words. Granted I didn't link a DaVinci protest that called for the same objective but that wasn't the point.

As far as actual bans, Iran already did. So did Jordan. So did Egypt and Lebanon. And a state in India. In the Philippines a government official was on record calling for a ban.

Monty Python's Life of Brian was banned in several cities around the UK for up to thirty years, even in the home town of its main actress.

Some seem to want to pretend this religious insult huff-n-puff is something "foreign".

Iran and Jordan are not western democracies, banning something like this in certain cities and states still doesn't equate to a national ban on free speech which is what the protesters in England want. Of course it's not completely foreign but again cries, no matter how peaceful, for banning specific media releases is not the same as calling for a general national ban on one area of free speech.

They can put on a peaceful front, like in Australia, for damage control.
A week after violent Muslim protests in Sydney, sections of Perth's Islamic community were out yesterday with one group distributing flowers.
But after a week of violent activity, I doubt the Australians were fooled by the flowers.
Just like America isn't fooled by a few Muslims denouncing the Boston terror attacks.

Muslim violence is proportionate to their numbers, for the most part.

They don't put up peaceful fronts.

They're mostly peaceful. We've never had much problem with violent demonstrations in the Muslim community. It's a rarity from the western Muslims because violent demonstrations are a rarity to westerners.

One event in Australia over that disgusting film and it wasn't that violent: As it happened: Violence erupts in Sydney over anti-Islam film - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

There have been worse riots over Rodney King, class/job/economy and even anti-immigrant causes in western countries.

"Some seem to want to pretend this religious insult huff-n-puff is something "foreign"."

It can easily be domestic and wrong, too.

By the way, you're busted for environmental pollution!

Iran and Jordan are not western democracies, banning something like this in certain cities and states still doesn't equate to a national ban on free speech which is what the protesters in England want. Of course it's not completely foreign but again cries, no matter how peaceful, for banning specific media releases is not the same as calling for a general national ban on one area of free speech.

Nor are they predominantly Christian. But the UK is on both counts. Arguably the state in India and the Philippines too. And I'd say when a film is banned in those countries nationally, that's a "national ban". Again, distinctions without a difference; a ban on free speech is a ban on free speech, and a ban on grounds of religious offence is what we're comparing. And those are places that actually effected a ban; that's a wee bit heavier than the rhetoric of a group of protestors simply calling for one as reported by a Pakistani propaganda paper.

Israel banned "Last Temptation of Christ" on the basis that it "might offend Christians".

Samoa banned "Milk" as ""inappropriate and contradictory to Christian beliefs and Samoan culture". The Solomon Islands also banned DaVinci Code on the basis that it "undermines the very roots of Christianity in Solomon Islands."

Banned films worldwide

:eusa_think:

The idea of banning thought is abhorrent, anywhere. But the idea that "only they do it" isn't realistic.

Last edited:
Why would we think that their agenda is somehow different in America than England? In fact it's worse. We have a Muslim president with radical Islam advising him, and no borders to speak of. Come, stay, get your freebies, demand your rights.

How's that koolaid taste? Is it finally time we upgrade your programing? I think the Tea Party has a new software release you might want........ Make sure your hard wire connection is stable.....

Why would we think that their agenda is somehow different in America than England? In fact it's worse. We have a Muslim president with radical Islam advising him, and no borders to speak of. Come, stay, get your freebies, demand your rights.

Oh geez...and here I thought we were having a rational conversation...

ImpliedFacepalm.jpg

Sigh....

MB has no influence on our political system outside of rubber rooms around the country.

Nor are they predominantly Christian. But the UK is on both counts. Arguably India and the Philippines too. And I'd say when a film is banned in those countries nationally, that's a "national ban". Again, distinctions without a difference; a ban on free speech is a ban on free speech, and a ban on grounds of religious offence is what we're comparing. And those are places that actually effected a ban; that's a wee bit heavier than the rhetoric of a group of protestors simply calling for one.

Israel banned "Last Temptation of Christ" on the basis that it "might offend Christians".

Samoa banned "Milk" as ""inappropriate and contradictory to Christian beliefs and Samoan culture". The Solomon Islands also banned DaVinci Code on the basis that it "undermines the very roots of Christianity in Solomon Islands."

Banned films worldwide

:eusa_think:

The idea of banning thought is abhorrent, anywhere. But the idea that "only they do it" isn't realistic.

Never said it was.

Looks like we're debating semantics......... with slight differences in focus. :dunno:
My point being, banning a specific film, article, cartoon, etc is not the same as banning or calling for a ban on all speech that might be negative towards a specific belief system.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back