Brit Teens Try US Biscuits-N-Gravy For The First Time

Eel is very good deep fried-up in a tempura batter....Very mild.

The hide can also be tanned like leather. NAs used to to repair gun stocks with. They wrapped it around the area to be repaired when it was wet. As it dried it shrank and made for a very effective repair.

I am not going to eat the same thing I wear or repair my guns with. :laughing0301:

I don't really care for sausage in my gravy.

For biscuits n gravy, I like just the plain white gravy. With a good bit of black pepper.

Not really a fan of England either.

I am not going to eat the same thing I wear or repair my guns with. :laughing0301:
Good, more for me though it's not like I have any completion. ;)

In about a month or so the eels will be moving out of their salt/brackish water digs and moving into the small headwater streams the feed the Potomac and Rappahannock Rivers to breed.

I have a eel honey-hole in a spring-fed mountain pond I go to in the early Spring and catch them on hook and line. You can gig them too if you catch them in the little streams.....4.50' to 5'ers are common, some are near as big around as a motorcycle tire.

They put up a damn good fight too. I keep a coffee can of sand out so when I land them I can toss a bit of sand on them to grasp them. I just knock them in the head to kill them, nail the head to a nearby tree, and skin them out like a catfish. Easy-peasy. :)

Good, more for me though it's not like I have any completion. ;)

In about a month or so the eels will be moving out of their salt/brackish water digs and moving into the small headwater streams the feed the Potomac and Rappahannock Rivers to breed.

I have a eel honey-hole in a spring-fed mountain pond I go to in the early Spring and catch them on hook and line. You can gig them too if you catch them in the little streams.....4.50' to 5'ers are common, some are near as big around as a motorcycle tire.

They put up a damn good fight too. I keep a coffee can of sand out so when I land them I can toss a bit of sand on them to grasp them. I just knock them in the head to kill them, nail the head to a nearby tree, and skin them out like a catfish. Easy-peasy. :)

Japanese eels -- unagi -- looks pretty tasty, but I never tried it.

iu

EEEEK!!!!!!!!!!

Nope.

My English hosts were so desperate for good food that they begged me to make a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner while I was there. They had gotten their hands on a big frozen turkey somehow.

My dinner would have been considered a flop by American culinary standards, but they could not stop raving!

Sweet! Thanks.

My biggest deal was shopping. No canned pumpkin to be had and I was not at that time familiar enough with pumpkin types, so I had to make a sweet potato pie. And the whipped cream started out as double cream, which is a cultural blast all of its own! My host, Dave, came up after dinner, planted a boozy smack on my cheek and swore "Your po-ta-to pie was GOOOOOORGEOUS" -- imagine the thick northern English accent.

No candied sweet potatoes because marshmallows were not to be had.

The green bean casserole was a flop because there were no crunchy french fried onions to be had, and try as I might, my french fried onions came out soggy and greasy. But they ate every bite and LOVED IT!

The stuffing was a huge hit, as well as the turkey.

Mashed potatoes and gravy were also a hit.

My hostess tasted the cranberry sauce and made a face, but it was accepted in the leftover sandwiches next day. They made the same comment about the sandwiches -- HUGE!!!!!

Forum List

Back