Brexit dividend - Proddys force withdrawal of Port services following intimidation.

Well this was 100% guaranteed to happen following the brexit farce.The brain dead right wing nationalist loons in London have a lot to answer for.

You conveniently forget that the Welsh voted for Brexit along with your friends the English. Northern Ireland and Scotland voted against Brexit.

Well this was 100% guaranteed to happen following the brexit farce.The brain dead right wing nationalist loons in London have a lot to answer for.

You conveniently forget that the Welsh voted for Brexit along with your friends the English. Northern Ireland and Scotland voted against Brexit.

English people living in Wales voted for it.

Doesn't matter a jot when it's a UK-wide referendum how any areas of the UK voted.

If you want to apply that logic then I'll take it a step further - there's 5 houses in my street & 3 of the households voted for Brexit (and I'm in Scotland) - there's no difference.

English people living in Wales voted for it.

You are a gutless sod. When Wales was promised that lost EU funds would be covered if they voted for Brexit, the Welsh were only too happy to vote for Brexit.

"Campaigners for a Leave vote have said money Wales gets from Brussels would be maintained by the UK government in the event of Brexit."

Doesn't matter a jot when it's a UK-wide referendum how any areas of the UK voted.

If you want to apply that logic then I'll take it a step further - there's 5 houses in my street & 3 of the households voted for Brexit (and I'm in Scotland) - there's no difference.

Interesting that you feel this way. On the other hand:

"The vast bulk of Wales' council areas, many of them Labour-supporting, voted for Leave with a majority in 17 backing Brexit.

Only five areas - Gwynedd, Cardiff, Ceredigion, the Vale of Glamorgan and Monmouthshire - voted for Remain.

Turnout was high at 71.7% for Wales.
"

"The vast bulk of Wales' council areas, many of them Labour-supporting, voted for Leave with a majority in 17 backing Brexit.

Only five areas - Gwynedd, Cardiff, Ceredigion, the Vale of Glamorgan and Monmouthshire - voted for Remain.

"

It can be spun many ways mate, but it really just does bubble down to the fact of what a UK-wide referendum really is.

There's too many folk playing grievance politics with Brexit for my liking. Especially my lot in Scotland, the SNP.

Westminster have gave up Scotland hundreds of millions to help us cope with any side-effects of Brexit and the SNP have took it and not allocated it out so they can use it to further their aims of separation.

If it's not Brexit it would be something else they'd be jumping on to cause unrest in all honesty.

Despite my username, believe it or not, Brexit was a preference for me but it wouldn't have been the end of the world if we stayed in. There's literally pro's and con's for and against it - I thought the benefits outweighed the side-effects - and still do.

People need to give it a chance and stop acting like spoiled brats.

Since I've been old enough to vote I've voted in everything - by-elections, council elections, Holyrood elections, European elections, General elections and referendums.

I have literally only got what I voted for twice (Scottish referendum and the Brexit referendum) and the same folk in Scotland have spent every day since trying to reverse the results of each.

That's why it annoys me when people say "more people in Scotland voted remain than for Brexit" - so what? that's not how it works. You don't get everything you want politically.

"

It can be spun many ways mate, but it really just does bubble down to the fact of what a UK-wide referendum really is.

There's too many folk playing grievance politics with Brexit for my liking. Especially my lot in Scotland, the SNP.

Westminster have gave up Scotland hundreds of millions to help us cope with any side-effects of Brexit and the SNP have took it and not allocated it out so they can use it to further their aims of separation.

If it's not Brexit it would be something else they'd be jumping on to cause unrest in all honesty.

Despite my username, believe it or not, Brexit was a preference for me but it wouldn't have been the end of the world if we stayed in. There's literally pro's and con's for and against it - I thought the benefits outweighed the side-effects - and still do.

Since I've been old enough to vote I've voted in everything - by-elections, council elections, Holyrood elections, European elections, General elections and referendums.

I have literally only got what I voted for twice (Scottish referendum and the Brexit referendum) and the same folk in Scotland have spent every day since trying to reverse the results of each.

That's why it annoys me when people say "more people in Scotland voted remain than for Brexit" - so what? that's not how it works. You don't get everything you want politically.

So more people voted for Brexit shouldn't matter either by that logic.

Long before Brexit the biggest complaint over the years has been that London was largely unresponsive to the needs of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Devolution was a compromise put forward by Westminster to try and quiet growing dissatisfaction with British politics. The English still govern from London with little regard or understanding of the needs of regions beyond the south of the country. Even north-eastern regions of England bitterly complain that they are ignored.

In essence Westminster is part of the problem and not the solution.

Personally I think Scotland should opt for independence and rejoin the EU. The benefits are largely financial in the new jobs it could attract to Scotland.

"

Scotland was lied to during the Indy referendum. They were told that they had to stay in the UK to remain in the EU. The Irish were told that nothing would change in their relationship with the Reoublic. Another lie. A long list of lies from a lying tory government.

"

Long before Brexit the biggest complaint over the years has been that London was largely unresponsive to the needs of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Devolution was a compromise put forward by Westminster to try and quiet growing dissatisfaction with British politics. The English still govern from London with little regard or understanding of the needs of regions beyond the south of the country. Even north-eastern regions of England bitterly complain that they are ignored.

Personally I think Scotland should opt for independence and rejoin the EU. The benefits are largely financial in the new jobs it could attract to Scotland.

Your first line makes absolutely zero sense. If it's a UK-wide referendum everyone's vote counts the same no matter what part of the UK you're from.

So why would you ignore the fact more people voted for it and the referendum being won?

Your last line - it's not as simple as that. The EU have said there's no obvious way for Scotland to re-enter the EU - they've no currency, no central bank, and the net def falls way below of what's required as criteria.

What new jobs could Scotland attract if they were able to get back in? give me some examples.

"

Scotland was lied to during the Indy referendum. They were told that they had to stay in the UK to remain in the EU. The Irish were told that nothing would change in their relationship with the Reoublic. Another lie. A long list of lies from a lying tory government.

You surprise me but forgot to mention that some members of Labour repeated those same lies.

"

Another viewpoint that makes zero sense.

If Scotland got their way in the separation referendum then they'd have been out of the EU anyway by default with no obvious way back in - but now all of a sudden the EU is the most important thing to them? does that not tell you it's about using Brexit as a tool to further their own agenda?

There's Unionists that voted remain and are unhappy that the SNP are using their remain vote to push for a second separation referendum.
Over 1/3 of SNP voters voted Brexit.
The last General Election just over a year ago, only 38% of Scotland voted for SNP after they campaigned aggressively on a cancel Brexit and leave the UK manifesto.
The same General Election there was 220 THOUSAND more votes for pro-Union parties than voted for the SNP - which in a small electorate is pretty substantial.
I don't know how you can accuse the Tory Government considering Cameron was a remainer at the time and a lot of the party members likewise including our PM Boris.

They are all the facts laid out.

You're someone who's totally blinkered by Brexit, it sounds like it consumes you and impairs your ability to think straight.

"

Your first line makes absolutely zero sense. If it's a UK-wide referendum everyone's vote counts the same no matter what part of the UK you're from.

So why would you ignore the fact more people voted for it and the referendum being won?

Your last line - it's not as simple as that. The EU have said there's no obvious way for Scotland to re-enter the EU - they've no currency, no central bank, and the net def falls way below of what's required as criteria.

What new jobs could Scotland attract if they were able to get back in? give me some examples.

Who voted for Brexit is of significant importance as it is in all political votes.

England would be a first client for Scotland given its proximity:

"

Who voted for Brexit is of significant importance as it is in all political votes.

That link has no baring on the point you were making.

That link is talking about hold up's for small companies who aren't VAT registered before they can reclaim.

Those same small companies are not the companies that will be tendering for contracts and staff from outside the country and trying to do the deals and attracting new jobs.

It's from the Guardian though, so no surprise.

Also, of course England would be Scotland's first clients - after all about 75% of Scotland's trade is with England - but taking Scotland outside of the UK union (and assuming they were able to get back into the EU) think of the problems to trade then? a different currency, a hard border, different VAT/tax codes etc.

Think about that for a moment. They can't have it all ways.

"

That link is talking about hold up's for small companies who aren't VAT registered before they can reclaim.

Those same small companies are not the companies that will be tendering for contracts and staff from outside the country and trying to do the deals and attracting new jobs.

Also, of course England would be Scotland's first clients - after all about 75% of Scotland's trade is with England - but taking Scotland outside of the UK union (and assuming they were able to get back into the EU) think of the problems to trade then? a different currency, a hard border, different VAT/tax codes etc.

If English companies open offices and/or warehouses in Scotland won't they also have to hire staff in Scotland (keep in mind new visa rules) or outsource to Scottish companies. Would Scotland generate additional tax revenues from arriving companies?

It must be a significant need if the UK government is advising British companies to open EU companies:

"

If English companies open offices and/or warehouses in Scotland won't they also have to hire staff in Scotland (keep in mind new visa rules) or outsource to Scottish companies. Would Scotland generate additional tax revenues from arriving companies?

It must be a significant need if the UK government is advising British companies to open EU companies:

Why would England need to set up offices or warehouses in Scotland? the only things that come up from England into Scotland is supermarket foods from Tesco, Asda, Morrisons etc depots on the lorries.

Why would they pick Scotland to set up shop with their businesses when Scotland is out of BOTH the EU and the UK unions, have no credible currency, no centralised bank for any investment to flow through and a hard border, especially when they (England) would still be much more aligned with the EU due to the tariff-free trade that the Brexit deal facilitates? it doesn't make any sense.

The SNP is running Scotland into the ground, they can't run a bath or do the very basics correctly here without additionally trying to secure all this new investment in a newly separated state. They are crackpots and far too many folk (especially the English) are buying their nonsense and grievance politics brand.

If the UK Government are advising British companies to open EU companies - that indicates there's a good trading relationship with the EU even Brexit, surely? a reminder that an "independent" Scotland wouldn't be in the EU - for at least a decade or so (maybe longer). If the SNP care about the EU so much then their best bet is staying in the UK and hoping Brexit is a total disaster and the UK applies to go back in. If Brexit is a disaster then I'd support the UK doing that, but the SNP won't do that because they do not care about the EU it's a ploy from them. A few years before the EU referendum was announced you had some of these exact same SNP politicians and MP's making statements that they want out of the EU and now it's vital we stay in? lol ... think about it.

"

Why would England need to set up offices or warehouses in Scotland? the only things that come up from England into Scotland is supermarket foods from Tesco, Asda, Morrisons etc depots on the lorries.

Why would they pick Scotland to set up shop with their businesses when Scotland is out of BOTH the EU and the UK unions, have no credible currency, no centralised bank for any investment to flow through and a hard border, especially when they (England) would still be much more aligned with the EU due to the tariff-free trade that the Brexit deal facilitates? it doesn't make any sense.

The SNP is running Scotland into the ground, they can't run a bath or do the very basics correctly here without additionally trying to secure all this new investment in a newly separated state. They are crackpots and far too many folk (especially the English) are buying their nonsense and grievance politics brand.

If the UK Government are advising British companies to open EU companies - that indicates there's a good trading relationship with the EU even Brexit, surely? a reminder that an "independent" Scotland wouldn't be in the EU - for at least a decade or so (maybe longer). If the SNP care about the EU so much then their best bet is staying in the UK and hoping Brexit is a total disaster and the UK applies to go back in. If Brexit is a disaster then I'd support the UK doing that, but the SNP won't do that because they do not care about the EU it's a ploy from them. A few years before the EU referendum was announced you had some of these exact same SNP politicians and MP's making statements that they want out of the EU and now it's vital we stay in? lol ... think about it.

Additional paperwork and other requirements for UK goods exported to the EU is estimated to cost 25 billion pounds a year. Sounds like a great relationship:

"All told, Brexit may cost British exporters 25 billion pounds ($34 billion) this year as a result of weak demand and more red tape, shaving 1.1% off gross domestic product, according to a report Tuesday by the trade insurance company Euler Hermes Group SAS."

"

Additional paperwork and other requirements for UK goods exported to the EU is estimated to cost 25 billion pounds a year. Sounds like a great relationship:

"All told, Brexit may cost British exporters 25 billion pounds ($34 billion) this year as a result of weak demand and more red tape, shaving 1.1% off gross domestic product, according to a report Tuesday by the trade insurance company Euler Hermes Group SAS."

"estimated"

The same way they "estimated" the Economy would collapse in the wake of Brexit when it grew (before Covid hit)
The same way they "estimated" we'd have to take the Euro, when we didn't.
The same way Nissan "estimated" Brexit would mean they have to close their operations in the UK and 2 weeks ago they've said they made a mistake it and it will be the best thing for business.
I can't remember the exact quotes from the Bank Of England too but they had a recent change of heart a few months ago.

Red tape and hold ups are natural. FFS they've had to rip everything up and start again and get it implemented - not even the remainers actually think everything is seamless right from the off?

Or maybe they do. They're not really known for thinking straight.

Listen, as I said Brexit might be a total disaster. There's every chance.

But there's every chance it might work out great too.

We don't know for sure yet. But it's scare stories over nothing at the moment purported from the same folk who were avidly against it in the first place. It's hardly going to be balanced.

"

"estimated"

The same way they "estimated" the Economy would collapse in the wake of Brexit when it grew (before Covid hit)
The same way they "estimated" we'd have to take the Euro, when we didn't.
The same way Nissan "estimated" Brexit would mean they have to close their operations in the UK and 2 weeks ago they've said they made a mistake it and it will be the best thing for business.
I can't remember the exact quotes from the Bank Of England too but they had a recent change of heart a few months ago.

Red tape and hold ups are natural. FFS they've had to rip everything up and start again and get it implemented - not even the remainers actually think everything is seamless right from the off?

Or maybe they do. They're not really known for thinking straight.

Listen, as I said Brexit might be a total disaster. There's every chance.

But there's every chance it might work out great too.

We don't know for sure yet. But it's scare stories over nothing at the moment purported from the same folk who were avidly against it in the first place. It's hardly going to be balanced.

You are free to believe what you want but the reality is that the UK economy is going to suffer greatly.

The EU has been the UK's biggest trading partner. The reduction of exports to the EU will be the first to suffer.

EU companies are going to increasingly fill the gap offering what the UK has been exporting to the EU at a better price. The bureaucracy for UK goods will only increase given these new opportunities for EU companies.

British companies that choose to operate in the EU will be paying taxes to the EU not the UK.

The British financial sector has lost passporting and EU countries are reaping the benefits. Finance is the UK's most important sector - ouch that will hurt.

Sorry to ask but where are all the international trade deals that were promised?
  • where is the US trade deal?
  • where is the Australian trade deal?
  • where is the ????? trade deal?
Reality is brutal.

Personally I would hope that Scotland find a way through this mess and be richer in the end.

Forum List

Back