Breaking news...

Untimely deaths are all equally sad. I don't consider a pedestrian killed by a drunk driver, or a person killed when their propane furnace explodes, or someone killed in a coal mine, or someone killed by a suicide bomb in Afghanistan any sadder than each other.

Some deaths are completely with no fault of their own (former two)...some are due to risky situations that the person is in (latter two). But they are all sad and unfortunate.

The only situation that is somewhat less sad are those who really get risky, like climbing up the side of a building without ropes. I consider that to be thinning the herd.
I must have a faulty sadness meter. I find the deaths of innocent people sadder than the deaths of people that take risks.

But you have a right to see them as equal.

I find the deaths of innocent people sadder than the deaths of people that take risks.
It is a bit more dramatic and makes is seem as if you really care more than other people.
That's your problem, not mine...a bit sensitive, eh?

Ohh I take full responsibility for my words. Other than a couple of quips I have been honest about how I feel about the situation.
Some others on the other hand are just responding with how they are programmed to respond.

Plus it is a good opportunity for them to gang up on me for some of my less contriversial viewpoints. Like Bush sucks!

YAAY I got that in here too.
Yup. Your opinion is that they were not really victims and they were stupid for doing their jobs. Got it. And good to know.

I have never said they were not victims. Just that they made their choice and it did not turn out too well for them.

Victims abound. Few who die are not some kind of victim.
Oh? Then why put the word in quotes, eh? Like I said, man up.
Anyone not in the military who would accept a job in Afganistan....

Yes sorry for their families, but not so much for the "victims".

I must have a faulty sadness meter. I find the deaths of innocent people sadder than the deaths of people that take risks.

But you have a right to see them as equal.

I find the deaths of innocent people sadder than the deaths of people that take risks.
It is a bit more dramatic and makes is seem as if you really care more than other people.
That's your problem, not mine...a bit sensitive, eh?

problem? what problem?

Does this change the level of sympathy?

Not for me..

I imagine it does for you, though....
If you watch a movie and see soldiers/cia agents/mercenaries killed vs. bystanders/children/mentally ill killed...are you telling me your gut reaction to the tragedy isn't different?

If you are, I think you are being dishonest.

That is all.

Not for me..

If you watch a movie and see soldiers/cia agents/mercenaries killed vs. bystanders/children/mentally ill killed...are you telling me your gut reaction to the tragedy isn't different?

That is all.

I don't see tragedy in a freaking movie... I watch movies for entertainment...

I thought I was clear earlier... ALL human life lost to acts of terrorism is equally sad to me...

Not for me..

That is all.

I thought I was clear earlier... ALL human life lost to acts of terrorism is equally sad to me...
Saving Private Ryan...Schindler's List...just entertainment to you? Cool.

That is all.

Ravi. One question. Have you ever been in a combat situation or even a war zone for that matter?
In the movie all the actors and extras get up, still alive and whole after the scene is shot so yes, it's entertainment. In real life when people you know don't get back up or lose body parts that's a whole different story, that's not entertainment and even the physically unharmed have to deal with their experience for the rest of their lives.
It's amazing how you can survive a battle and still carry a sense of guilt with you the rest of your life for those who died and for those you killed.

That is all.

They were fictional movies... They remain movies, despite their depiction of actual events... All movies are entertainment (not all entertainment is laughing and comedies)...

Tragedies occur (and occurred) in real life...

ALL human life lost to acts of terrorism is equally sad to me... I'm sorry to be repeating this, but you just don't seem to be grasping my words....

For me it doesn't change the sympathy level. They were serving their country and deserve the highest honors that we can give them. There will be 8 new stars on the wall in the lobby of CIA Headquarters...something that's tragic yet very patriotic at the same time. Those people were doing what they loved.

Any civilian death during conflict is tragic as well. Unfortunately the human race hasn't been able to figure out a foolproof way of negotiating away differences and anger without someone picking up a weapon and shooting the place up. Innocents are are always caught in the crossfire.

This brings up the question of did the suicide bomber know they were CIA due to a security leak and target them? Or was this just a coincidence in a random bombing?

Anyone not in the military who would accept a job in Afganistan....

Yes sorry for their families, but not so much for the "victims".

I'm sure it's been pointed out already, but you truly don't know what you're talking about.

My brother served 20+ years in the AF. He's in the reserves and is employed with the AF in his special ops unit. Although he isn't technically 'activated' as a reservist, he has over the last several years frequently traveled to that God-forsaken area of the world as a civilian military employee.

Ive know USC for years and he is a fine human being who I would also like to say has predicted nearly everything that has happened to this country absolutely correctly fro years now.

You guys just wear on even a good mans soul with your partisanship .

This thread is neither partisan or merits disrespect from usc....this post is about respecting the fact that we not only have soldiers in harms way but MWR civilians who serve them in country's all over the world for pennies compared to what the average contractor gets paid. Perhaps you should call him and have him clarify his remarks....like what is so bad about having a place where our troops can unwind while they're trying to make heads or tails out of the last op they were on.

Many of those in the theater of Iraq and Afganistan in the past have been opportunists like blackwater and KBR who did NOT help or enlisted people.

I think it was knee jerk from USC and in fact very unlike him.

I realize he is human and there fore dont expect him to reflexct perfection at every milisecond.

I have know him for years and think he is one of the finest people I have been arround on the internets. This little blip on his screen will not change that.

God help us, you don't have a clue what Blackwater or KBR employees are doing beyond what you get from the asshat bunch at MSNBC.....

Forum List

Back