Breaking News: Louisiana's Governor To Strip Food Stamps From Walmart Looters

Piyush will get lots of Tea Party votes for that stunt.

Do you agree with him for stripping them of their food stamps?

Not really.

What would be fair is to deduct the value of what they bought from their alotment.

If they have accurate records and you can trust that Wal Mart kept accurate records.

The blame here really belongs to Wal Mart. They know damned well that most people don't have thousands of dollars of credit on their cards and processed the transactions anyway.
There are dozens of cases in MA alone where card balances exceed $5000.
The governor has repeatedly refused to investigate.
Never go against your base, welfare scum are Devals base.

People need to learn to be honest. That includes Walmart in this.

Absolutely.
In my opinion, two things should happen here:
1) The EBT holders should have the equal amount they overcharged to be deducted from their future balance in equal amounts.
2) WalMart should be fined to the equal amount of everyone who overcharged. The store manager's excuse is unacceptable.
Now, that means taxpayers will get twice their money back. Good.

How is deducting the overcharged amount from their accounts be just? EBT money is not theirs. It's a gift from the tax payers. The only one being hurt is the tax payer.

??....It is just because the taxpayers will get back the overcharged amounts.

Piyush will get lots of Tea Party votes for that stunt.

Do you agree with him for stripping them of their food stamps?

Not really.

What would be fair is to deduct the value of what they bought from their alotment.

If they have accurate records and you can trust that Wal Mart kept accurate records.

The blame here really belongs to Wal Mart. They know damned well that most people don't have thousands of dollars of credit on their cards and processed the transactions anyway.
If wal mart refused the sale you would be the first ranting about how wal mart should not interfere with government policy/programmes.

It was established in an earlier thread that Wal Mart managers knew what was going down and made the conscious decision to allow it. The cardholders knew as well and continued to buy.

And besides, even if managers didn't know, when people were running around like wild people stripping shelves bare, a reasonable person would have had a clue. It isn't rocket science. Everyday use of those cards doesn't result in bare shelves.

Food Stamp Glitch Leaves Walmart Shelves Bare: ?Like a Tornado Had Came Through? | Video | TheBlaze.com

And if indeed Walmart had done such, do you not think there would have been suits for denying them? Was it unusual so many people were able to buy so much at one time? Yes, but there would also be those that could buy $700 at a time, even a $1000, if they had a large family. Walmart did what they did to keep suits at bay as well as the possibility of angering some EBT holders and causing danger to their employees and customers. If the system had simply been down then they could show it was down. It was not.

And Walmart was not the only retailer this happened to, but they are the ones everyone wants to complain about.

That is ridiculous. I have a law degree and I don't know a single attorney who would pursue such a suit. Just go across the street to Kroger. If they wanted to keep the store secure all they had to do was lock the doors and put up a 'closed' sign. DUH!

Well, you are fortunate then.
Florida Man Guilty of DUI Manslaughter Sues Victim - ABC News

Gunman Sues His Victim for Firing Back in Self-Defense | Legal News | Lawyers.com

Judge dismisses killer?s lawsuit that sought to sue victim?s widow | Q13 FOX News

And why should they interrupt their ability to run their business for a mistake by the feds? Do you realize the volume that passes through their stores on a weekend? Were the feds going to pay for their lost business?

Punishing thieves? That's so unfair. After all, they were victims of a computer glitch they had nothing to do with. Sure they know how much taxpayer money their cards are worth each month, but they probably figured they'd gotten a raise they didn't know about and, hey, Christmas is just around the corner.

Punishing thieves? That's so unfair. After all, they were victims of a computer glitch they had nothing to do with. Sure they know how much taxpayer money their cards are worth each month, but they probably figured they'd gotten a raise they didn't know about and, hey, Christmas is just around the corner.

Crazy, huh??

Last edited:
Absolutely.
In my opinion, two things should happen here:
1) The EBT holders should have the equal amount they overcharged to be deducted from their future balance in equal amounts.
2) WalMart should be fined to the equal amount of everyone who overcharged. The store manager's excuse is unacceptable.
Now, that means taxpayers will get twice their money back. Good.

How is deducting the overcharged amount from their accounts be just? EBT money is not theirs. It's a gift from the tax payers. The only one being hurt is the tax payer.

??....It is just because the taxpayers will get back the overcharged amounts.

No they won't. The money will still go to those who abused the gift they were given. They just wont get more until the balanced is paid off.

Since Food Stamps are Federal, does Piyush really have the authority to do this?

Did Wal Mart keep accurate records of who exceeded their alotments?

Why not?.. the fed unconstitutionally grabbed the authority to provide for personal wants and needs of civilians...

This guy just took the power back where it belongs

The state Department of Children and Family Services said Wednesday that retailers across the state got 12,000 nonsufficient funds messages.

I am curious to know that the normal week to week number of nonsufficient funds messages is.

This is an excellent idea...
These folks knew there was a problem with the system so to them it meant free stuff.
Fuck them...

They should be thrown out of the system.
Ban them for a year.
Then let them re apply.

The state Department of Children and Family Services said Wednesday that retailers across the state got 12,000 nonsufficient funds messages.

I am curious to know that the normal week to week number of nonsufficient funds messages is.

Obviously they are talking about EBT insufficient funds messages after the fact - not from credit cards, or checks. Since the system is designed to notify them at the time of purchase, I would guess very few, if any. This was a glitch in the system where it didn't bring back any insufficient messages at time of EBT card purchase.

what would you do? give them double benefits for the next 12 months because their feelings might have been hurt when someone on the news called them cheats?

See my last post. I've worked in prisons. The cost of incarceration is too much for a mere 'cheat.'

Prison? :eusa_eh:

You do know that quite a few people convicted of crimes don't get incarcerated, right?

This isn't even close to a jail-able offense, but a lengthy stretch of community service... you betcha.

If theft is over $100 dollars in most states that constitutes a felony and a felony conviction requires prison, usually 1 year.

See my last post. I've worked in prisons. The cost of incarceration is too much for a mere 'cheat.'

You do know that quite a few people convicted of crimes don't get incarcerated, right?

This isn't even close to a jail-able offense, but a lengthy stretch of community service... you betcha.

If theft is over $100 dollars in most states that constitutes a felony and a felony conviction requires prison, usually 1 year.

I find it especially hard to believe that a judge's hands would be thusly tied in a case like this, but if so, even better. Offer a plea down to a misdemeanor and a shit load of community service. No costly trial, no costly jail, and a few less cigarette butts lying in the streets.

I find it especially hard to believe that a judge's hands would be thusly tied in a case like this, but if so, even better. Offer a plea down to a misdemeanor and a shit load of community service. No costly trial, no costly jail, and a few less cigarette butts lying in the streets.

You can't make welfare recipients work. That is involuntary servitude. I'm sure some states may have some leeway in sentencing, but many states are tired of judges giving felons a slap on the wrist and have instituted laws that include mandatory prison time for any felony. I don't know about Louisiana and I'm not motivated to look it up.

Forum List

Back