BREAKING NEWS: Justice Souter to Retire

Then why are they defending foreign citizens who are being tried as terrorists?
Because they are being tried by our government...and anything the government can do to foreigners makes it easier to do to us...btw, Padilla is an American.

It could also be because many Americans take "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" literally to mean the constitution covers anyone within the jurisdiction of the USA.

Unless of course they are Conservatives, Tea party members, Bush, Karl Rove or any member of Bush's Government. Or any other group Liberals decide are not worthy of protection under the law, Like Bankers and such, you do remember the scare tactics employed by the left against AIG executives right?

exactly! :clap2:

Because they are being tried by our government...and anything the government can do to foreigners makes it easier to do to us...btw, Padilla is an American.

It could also be because many Americans take "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" literally to mean the constitution covers anyone within the jurisdiction of the USA.

Unless of course they are Conservatives, Tea party members, Bush, Karl Rove or any member of Bush's Government. Or any other group Liberals decide are not worthy of protection under the law, Like Bankers and such, you do remember the scare tactics employed by the left against AIG executives right?

exactly! :clap2:

You gotta understand--lefties are smarter and know what's good for you.

Then why are they defending foreign citizens who are being tried as terrorists?

You can make up anything you want, but the ACLU is on record for defending Rush Limbaugh and the rights of Christians to wear religious icons. FAIL.

ESPECIALLY FOREIGNERS WHO TRIED TO KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE!

Did they?

There's the problem....

no one knows for sure... because they were never tried.

I cannot believe I'm hearing this from a NY'er.

I just cannot believe it.

Did you lose anyone in 9/11, Jillian? Because I sure did. Now let's just, for a moment, use a hypothetical situation. Let's say that Khalid Sheik Mohammed is indeed the mastermind behind 9/11 and in order to get that confession out of him, he was waterboarded, which prez Obama says is torture and is illegal.

That would mean and I know you know this because you're a lawyer, the method used to get his confession was illegal and his confession is not admissible in court. I'm sure you know that's happened before HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS of times. So, then all we have on this guy is the reason why he was picked up in the first place.

These people, if I should call them that, are NOT soldiers that are fighting for other countries. At least not officially. If one of our Blackwater guys were kidnapped in Iran, he would have absolutely ZERO rights in Iran because the Geneva Convention uses the term "unlawful combatant." This means this unlawful combatant has NO rights whatsoever. They do NOT have the right to be tried in a court of law as they are NOT American citizens. The ACLU is an AMERICAN Civil Liberites Union, not a FOREIGN civil liberties union. The ACLU has stuck up for these pigs, and I apologize to the pigs for comparing them, on several occassions and said that they deserve a right to a fair trial.

Do you know what would happen? While we're on the verge of prosecuting Bush and co. for torturing the mastermind of 9/11, the actual mastermind could go scott free because the method used to get the information out of him was illegal. Is that what you'd like to see happen, Jillian?

Well,, just take a moment and ponder the facts.. Is this country fucked up or not? I think many of us will agree it is indeed fucked up.. Now my next question would be.. what percentage of the congresscritters are lawyers?? do they make the law of the land??? yes they do,, and don't the lawyers who make up the courts uphold the law of the land? yes they do..now,, I watch a lot of c-span,, and I think I'm looking at a great many high paid lawyers standing around all day arguing points left then right then left again then right again and not getting a whole lot done for the good of the country..personally I think the congressgritters salary is money wasted.. I personally think we are getting screwed over by a bunch of lawyers and that would include the ANti American ACLU,, my biggest beef with the ACLU is their thwarting every single solitary attempt to deal with illegal immigration, then add their war on Christmas then add their backing of NAMBLA. The are just disgusting.. and if reports are correct they are behind the decision for the obamalama releasing classified information in an effort to conduct a witch hunt on the past administration, and that is detrimental to the USA.

Did you lose anyone in 9/11, Jillian? Because I sure did. Now let's just, for a moment, use a hypothetical situation. Let's say that Khalid Sheik Mohammed is indeed the mastermind behind 9/11 and in order to get that confession out of him, he was waterboarded, which prez Obama says is torture and is illegal.

That would mean and I know you know this because you're a lawyer, the method used to get his confession was illegal and his confession is not admissible in court. I'm sure you know that's happened before HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS of times. So, then all we have on this guy is the reason why he was picked up in the first place.

These people, if I should call them that, are NOT soldiers that are fighting for other countries. At least not officially. If one of our Blackwater guys were kidnapped in Iran, he would have absolutely ZERO rights in Iran because the Geneva Convention uses the term "unlawful combatant." This means this unlawful combatant has NO rights whatsoever. They do NOT have the right to be tried in a court of law as they are NOT American citizens. The ACLU is an AMERICAN Civil Liberites Union, not a FOREIGN civil liberties union. The ACLU has stuck up for these pigs, and I apologize to the pigs for comparing them, on several occassions and said that they deserve a right to a fair trial.

Do you know what would happen? While we're on the verge of prosecuting Bush and co. for torturing the mastermind of 9/11, the actual mastermind could go scott free because the method used to get the information out of him was illegal. Is that what you'd like to see happen, Jillian?

Really? And I can't believe what I'm hearing from a JEW is that people should be imprisoned without trial because someone decides, without benefit of public charges or trial, that they've done something wrong.

9.11 doesn't justify us being the same as the low-lives....

so ride the fear train all you want.

I hope somebody in New Hampshire uses eminent domain to seize his farmhouse before he leaves the bench. The Lost Liberty Hotel would look much better.

That certainly was stain on his otherwise admirable record.

Really? And I can't believe what I'm hearing from a JEW is that people should be imprisoned without trial because someone decides, without benefit of public charges or trial, that they've done something wrong.

This is INTERNATIONAL LAW, Jillian. Whether wrong or right - NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW.

Tell me I'm wrong about torture not being illegal. If torture is illegal and waterboarding is torture, then these people will be let go and not only free to return to their country, but at the taxpayers expense. The people that are directly responsible for 9/11. Answer my question: Is that what you want to happen?

I agree! Which is why we should have NEVER tortured in the first place! But it's too late now - we've already tortured. So now what? You're the President, Jillian. What do you do?

You are obsessed with the Bush's. The OP was about Justice Souter and you seem to be the only one bringing up Bush. They are both gone...one for quite some time now. Time to start thinking in the present. Why do the libs continue with this never ending obsession with Bush? As is constantly reminded on this board: "we won, get over it". Maybe that advice is worth taking for all.

You are aware, aren't you, that the PRESIDENT nominates the Federal Justices?

Maybe not... given the "inciteful" nature of your post.

You are aware that Bush is not in office. Maybe not given your many posts bashing him.

so ride the fear train all you want.

The ones at Gitmo were for the most part caught ON the field of battle fighting against the US. But hey don't let facts get in the way of a good lie.

Let's say that Khalid Sheik Mohammed is indeed the mastermind behind 9/11 and in order to get that confession out of him, he was waterboarded, which prez Obama says is torture and is illegal.

I think that is the problem. If it was Khalid, nobody would give a fuck. But was it Khalid? Nobody knows....there is no transparency where there should be...

Lots of records grump. Right now they are secret and until this freaking war is over they should remain so.

Yeah, but that's disingenuous, particularly coming from lawyers who ought to understand the reasoning and history of the amendment. The fact is, the ACLU chooses to view it as a collective right for political reasons, and then puts out the talking points in support of it. That's what I am talking about by picking and choosing.

and i agree with ya....whether its an indiv. right or all of our rights....ITS STILL OUR RIGHTS....all of ours....and the ACLU ought to be right there shoving the anti 2nd amen. shit right back at the fuckers who bring it up...

And imo he committed a collosal blunder which if nothing else is at least consistent with most of his other actions to date. The war will now be much harder to prosecute just because the intelligence community will be far more risk averse meaning you are going to get people killed finding out info we would have gotten in other ways previously. It also means the civilian casualties on both sides are likely going to ramp up a bit.

And imo he committed a collosal blunder which if nothing else is at least consistent with most of his other actions to date. The war will now be much harder to prosecute just because the intelligence community will be far more risk averse meaning you are going to get people killed finding out info we would have gotten in other ways previously. It also means the civilian casualties on both sides are likely going to ramp up a bit.

What blunders has he made other than the special Olympics faux pas on Letterman? Can't think of any yet. He's doing a great job.

I very much doubt it will have any affect. Maybe the intel folk just won't say anything...I think transparency in any form of democracy is a good thing..

Forum List

Back