BREAKING NEWS: Justice Souter to Retire

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Boy will this shake up the Supreme Court.

Supreme Court Justice Souter To Retire : NPR

NPR has learned that Supreme Court Justice David Souter is planning to retire at the end of the court's current term.

The court has completed hearing oral arguments for the year and will be issuing rulings and opinions until the end of June.

Souter is expected to remain on the bench until a successor has been chosen and confirmed, which may or may not be accomplished before the court reconvenes in October.

At 69, Souter is nowhere near the oldest member of the court, but he has made clear to friends for some time now that he wanted to leave Washington, a city he has never liked, and to return to his native New Hampshire.

Who should replace him?

I think Obama should consider Justice Judy, cuz she don't take no shit!

From the article:

Souter's retirement would give President Obama his first appointment to the high court, and most observers expect that he will appoint a woman.

The court currently has one female justice — Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who is recovering from cancer surgery.

An Obama pick would be unlikely to change the ideological makeup of the court. Souter, though appointed by the first President Bush, generally votes with the more liberal members of the court, a group of four that is in a rather consistent minority.
No real damage done here. No "shakeup."

Last edited:
Who should replace him?

I think Obama should consider Justice Judy.

Look for a very far left judge to replace him. With 60 votes in the Senate it's a shoe-in.

the senate will confirm whomever obama picks. i hope he picks someone like souter... who, btw, was chosen by daddy bush.

it won't change the configuration of the court at all.

now if scalia were to retire :eusa_whistle:

From the article:

Souter's retirement would give President Obama his first appointment to the high court, and most observers expect that he will appoint a woman.

The court currently has one female justice — Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who is recovering from cancer surgery.

An Obama pick would be unlikely to change the ideological makeup of the court. Souter, though appointed by the first President Bush, generally votes with the more liberal members of the court, a group of four that is in a rather consistent minority.
No real damage done here.

Don't worry... the damage was done by Baby Bush.

Who should replace him?

I think Obama should consider Justice Judy.

Look for a very far left judge to replace him. With 60 votes in the Senate it's a shoe-in.

the senate will confirm whomever obama picks. i hope he picks someone like souter... who, btw, was chosen by daddy bush.

Yes, give us judges not partisans. Moderate jurists instead of activists.

Wouldn't surprise me if the head dude of the ACLU got the nod! We are Anti-American all the way now!
the ACLU defends civil rights of every American, you idiot.

Then why are they defending foreign citizens who are being tried as terrorists?

Why? Because sometimes one has to defend the rights of others to protect one's own rights? Why did ISrael give Eichman a fair trial?

Yes, give us judges not partisans. Moderate jurists instead of activists.

my favorite justices were always o'connor and souter. both brilliant in their own way. souter hated being a justice though. he was waiting for bush to leave so he could go back up to New Hampshire.

the ACLU defends civil rights of every American, you idiot.

Then why are they defending foreign citizens who are being tried as terrorists?

Why? Because sometimes one has to defend the rights of others to protect one's own rights? Why did ISrael give Eichman a fair trial?

Maybe you don't understand my question correctly.

Why would the AMERICAN civil liberties union, defend a FOREIGN citizen? Especially if he's being charged with terrorism... you know, the same kind of terrorism that brought down our towers on 9/11?

Why not let Human Rights Watch or the Red Cross or any of the other far left international organizations take care of this. Why does an AMERICAN leftist organization have to do this?

Forum List

Back