BREAKING NEWS: Justice Souter to Retire

I don't know if Roberts is the best justice on the court because, to me, where the decision lands is part of the analysis and Roberts is way too far to the right for me. As I said, i was always a huge Souter fan. I'm sorry he's leaving. And I still think losing O'Connor was a shame.

Though I will admit to a soft spot for Bader Ginsberg... just because she's a brooklyn girl.

you are taking one quote and saying that is their basic issue.
Read my post of their joint statement. Kind of seems like they protecting the gun owner's rights to me.

You should go re-read the statement. How much you see about the 2nd amendment in there? It's not even a 2nd amendment case to begin with, it is a case dealing with Texas statutory law. Go back and read it and you'll see what it is about and why the ACLU was involved.

Mind you, I think the ACLU was right in their position, but it had absolutely zero to do with the 2nd amendment.
It might not have to do with the 2nd amendment but they are still protecting someones right to keep a gun in their car no matter their reason for doing so.

I agree but when I was watching the appointment I was not up on my politics, I pretty much didn't care to investigate for myself and went along with what someone told me. And like Jillian said he is jurist and I feel he is not usually partisan.
And as for Alito, I don't even want to start on him. I think he is far right extremist who has no place on the supreme court and Thomas is his lap dog.

Half the court, left and right both, have no business being on there.

From the article:

Souter's retirement would give President Obama his first appointment to the high court, and most observers expect that he will appoint a woman.

The court currently has one female justice — Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who is recovering from cancer surgery.

An Obama pick would be unlikely to change the ideological makeup of the court. Souter, though appointed by the first President Bush, generally votes with the more liberal members of the court, a group of four that is in a rather consistent minority.
No real damage done here.

Don't worry... the damage was done by Baby Bush.

Every chance to take a swing, huh? Have you ever once refered to him as President Bush? I bet not.

It might not have to do with the 2nd amendment but they are still protecting someones right to keep a gun in their car no matter their reason for doing so.

Yeah, but their 'reason' was what the discussion was about. They'd have been in this case whether it was to do with guns or not. But if the key issue was 2nd amendment gun rights, they wouldn't have been involved.

Though I will admit to a soft spot for Bader Ginsberg... just because she's a brooklyn girl.

I'm sure Bader Ginsburg is a good person and all, but I see her as sort of the Scalia of the left. She's too tied to ideology, and I think her decisions will break on ideological grounds rather than legal ones more often than not. I suppose that is true of many judges.

I'm not the idiot.. The ACLU is as Anti American as it gets.
I guess the Bill Of Rights is anti american also. And I also love how repugs always get decide what is anti american.

No moreso than you moonbats try to decide what is anti american.
Oh! the right loves to toss around unpartriotic, anti american, unchristian like and quite a big more than us moonbats. Have you ever hear me say the NRA is anti american? I can't remember that last time I referred to anyone as anti american.

I'm sure Bader Ginsburg is a good person and all, but I see her as sort of the Scalia of the left. She's too tied to ideology, and I think her decisions will break on ideological grounds rather than legal ones more often than not. I suppose that is true of many judges.
some say she is against the ruling of roe v wade, not abortion but the ruling. I will have to do some googling!

I'd venture it's true of most judges. It's a rare one who can walk the fence. Do you think Sotomayor will be the replacement? I figure it's likely to be a woman...

I don't know if Roberts is the best justice on the court because, to me, where the decision lands is part of the analysis and Roberts is way too far to the right for me. As I said, i was always a huge Souter fan. I'm sorry he's leaving. And I still think losing O'Connor was a shame.

I actually saw O Connor from a distance right before she retired. She came here for a convention and than went fly fishing in Idaho or Montana, can't remember which. There is someone who also change while on the court.

some say she is against the ruling of roe v wade, not abortion but the ruling. I will have to do some googling!

roe v wade reached a correct result but is one of the most badly written decisions ever... it's why the anti-choice folk love going after it.

I actually saw O Connor from a distance right before she retired. She came here for a convention and than went fly fishing in Idaho or Montana, can't remember which. There is someone who also change while on the court.

she did change while on the court.

truth is, other than the wingiest wingnuts, the justices take what they do very seriously.

[
roe v wade reached a correct result but is one of the most badly written decisions ever... it's why the anti-choice folk love going after it.

Yeah, Roe is poorly written. The decision itself is completely scatter-brained as to its own rationale.

I'd venture it's true of most judges. It's a rare one who can walk the fence. Do you think Sotomayor will be the replacement? I figure it's likely to be a woman...

I think Sotomayor would be a fairly good pick, and she would breeze through. I think she would make a lot of the far-left a bit angry, because she's not an extremist.

I wonder if Obama would pass her over simply because she was a Bush appointee to the federal bench? Doesn't seem like he would.

I think Sotomayor would be a fairly good pick, and she would breeze through. I think she would make a lot of the far-left a bit angry, because she's not an extremist.

I wonder if Obama would pass her over simply because she was a Bush appointee to the federal bench? Doesn't seem like he would.
what would be a real shock is if he picked Janice Rodgers Brown
hell, i would even love that choice
i wont hold my breath to get it though

[

Yeah, Roe is poorly written. The decision itself is completely scatter-brained as to its own rationale.

and yet in it is the correct rationale, but he got caught up in the medical stuff.. which never should have been the case.

what would be a real shock is if he picked Janice Rodgers Brown
hell, i would even love that choice
i wont hold my breath to get it though

why would he appoint that rightwingnut?

Don't worry... the damage was done by Baby Bush.

Every chance to take a swing, huh? Have you ever once refered to him as President Bush? I bet not.

to differentiate him from daddy bush ;)

did i ever refer to him as president bush? I actually have to think about that. I did his father.

So, how did President Bush damage the court? He put up two highly qualified nominees that were both confirmed. It didn't change the balance of the court. Both replaced conservative leaning Justices, though O'Connor was more moderate, she voted right much more than she voted left. So what damage was done? Or was this another one of those "jillian didn't like W so you'll just blame him for shit that didn't really happen moments?"

to differentiate him from daddy bush ;)

did i ever refer to him as president bush? I actually have to think about that. I did his father.

So, how did President Bush damage the court? He put up two highly qualified nominees that were both confirmed. It didn't change the balance of the court. Both replaced conservative leaning Justices, though O'Connor was more moderate, she voted right much more than she voted left. So what damage was done? Or was this another one of those "jillian didn't like W so you'll just blame him for shit that didn't really happen moments?"

alito wasn't equipped for the court. but you know what, i'm going to be fair to the guy... I think his dad's choice of Clarence Thomas was far more of an insult to the court than anyone Bush could have picked.

My bigger problem with Bush wasn't that "jillian didnd't like W"... it was that he replaced a brilliant centrist with someone who wasn't in her league and was far more a right-wing ideologue...

*edit* that and the fact that roe v wade is now a litmus test and respect for precedent optional.

Forum List

Back