BREAKING:Justices uphold Arizona's system for redistricting

The OP's logic is flawed. The system the SCOTUS upheld is one of an independent panel comprised of 2 Democrats, 2 Republicans and 1 Independent to draw up districts, removing this activity from the purview of the legislature. Assuming that the Independent will always fall in with the Dems is a false hope.
You don't think this is a better system than the clearly partisan system of allowing the state legislature to draw the dustricts as they please?

There is nothing in my post that suggests a criticism of having an independent commission determine districts. The voters approved it; so be it. It was their choice.

I'm just pointing out the illogic of CC's inane crowing that it's a defeat for the GOP. It's not. It's a defeat for the legislature, whose majority may change in subsequent elections.

It appears that my switching from Republican to Democrat when baby Bush was elected put me on the cutting edge of a trend. This is going to hurt Republicans. My guess is that the sale of pale yellow polyester golf slacks is going to plummet.

In a bad week for the GOP, the Supreme Court may well have delivered an A-Bomb to the Republican party.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Monday upheld Arizona congressional districts drawn by an independent commission and rejected a constitutional challenge from Repulicans.

The 5-4 outcome preserves efforts in 13 states to limit partisan influence in redistricting. Most notably, California uses an independent commission to draw electoral boundaries for its largest-in-the-nation congressional delegation.

--------

Basically, it blows apart the idea that those who control the State Legislatures can draw whatever crazy congressional districts they want.

This is a Big Fucking Deal to quote the Vice President.

So now the world "legislature" doesn't mean anything either.

Great.
I said it yesterday

SCOTUS has neutered Congress, in that they have no Power of the Purse when it comes to ACA
State governments have no say whether or not to accept subsidies
States have no say as to what the legal definition of Marriage is, despite the fact that most states arrived at that distinction by a 60/40 decision of its citizenry
Our President, and his pen, can rewrite laws on a whim

I'm glad that the recipients of all their new-found "freedom" are rejoicing

I'm weeping at the dismantling of our separation of powers

The AZ ruling puts the power to draw congressional lines into the hands of an independent commission if the citizens of a State wish to establish one.

I certainly wish it would have stipulated that each state set one up and bar the state legislatures from drawing the lines since they obviously do so only to preserve their own power.
But who gets to decide who is "independent' enough

The OP's logic is flawed. The system the SCOTUS upheld is one of an independent panel comprised of 2 Democrats, 2 Republicans and 1 Independent to draw up districts, removing this activity from the purview of the legislature. Assuming that the Independent will always fall in with the Dems is a false hope.
You don't think this is a better system than the clearly partisan system of allowing the state legislature to draw the dustricts as they please?

There is nothing in my post that suggests a criticism of having an independent commission determine districts. The voters approved it; so be it. It was their choice.

I'm just pointing out the illogic of CC's inane crowing that it's a defeat for the GOP. It's not. It's a defeat for the legislature, whose majority may change in subsequent elections.
The gop brought the suit...

The constitution says the legislatures figure it out,

Statements like this just serve to confirm you tards have never actually read the Constitution.
Marty doesnt need to. He assumed he knew it all about 10 years ago and stopped trying to keep up on current events.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

All I know is to change the constitution you need to use the amendment process, not get 5 of 9 un-elected lawyers to agree with you, and THAT is what is happening now.

Statements like this just serve to confirm you tards have never actually read the Constitution.
Marty doesnt need to. He assumed he knew it all about 10 years ago and stopped trying to keep up on current events.

All I know is to change the constitution you need to use the amendment process, not get 5 of 9 un-elected lawyers to agree with you, and THAT is what is happening now.
You've proven in this thread you don't know what the constitution says - how would you know if 5 judges were changing it (they aren't)

AGAINST the commission.

AGAINST the commission.

The GOP as a party didn't bring the suit; thhe Republican-controlled Arizona Legislature did. The germane grouping here is the Arizona Legislature. This is a contest between a government body and an independent commission.

That's funny coming from you, and sad at the same time.
Go ahead and quote the part of the Constitution which "says the legislatures figure it out".

You've done gone and stepped in it now, skippy.

Section 4, clause 1.

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof;

Four of the five members of the IRC are chosen by the highest ranking officer and minority leader of each chamber of the legislature from a list of ten candidates pre-selected by Arizona’s Commission on Appellate Court Appointments. The four appointed members themselves then choose the fifth member from the pre-selected nomination pool to serve as chair. After appointment, the members of the IRC can only be removed by the Governor of Arizona, with the concurrence of two-thirds of the Senate, for substantial neglect of duty, gross misconduct in office, or inability to discharge the duties of office

http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-co.../Arizona-Jurisdictional-Statement-FILED-1.pdf

Go ahead and quote the part of the Constitution which "says the legislatures figure it out".

Section 4, clause 1.

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof;

http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-co.../Arizona-Jurisdictional-Statement-FILED-1.pdf

In a majority opinion, a three-judge panel of the District Court for the District of Arizona held that the term “Legislature” in the Elections Clause refers to the entire lawmaking process of the state; that Prop. 106 does not violate the Elections Clause; and that shifting the authority to prescribe congressional districts away from the Legislature and vesting it in the IRC does not violate the Elections Clause.

That decision was upheld.

Also, see Smiley v. Holm.

You've proven in this thread you don't know what the constitution says - how would you know if 5 judges were changing it (they aren't)

Yes, they are.

Section 4, clause 1.

In a majority opinion, a three-judge panel of the District Court for the District of Arizona held that the term “Legislature” in the Elections Clause refers to the entire lawmaking process of the state; that Prop. 106 does not violate the Elections Clause; and that shifting the authority to prescribe congressional districts away from the Legislature and vesting it in the IRC does not violate the Elections Clause.

That decision was upheld.

It's still a shit decision. Plessy V. Furgeson was upheld as well.

Always appeal to authority with you progressives. Guess you love havin yo massas tellin you what to do and think.

Four of the five members of the IRC are chosen by the highest ranking officer and minority leader of each chamber of the legislature from a list of ten candidates pre-selected by Arizona’s Commission on Appellate Court Appointments. The four appointed members themselves then choose the fifth member from the pre-selected nomination pool to serve as chair. After appointment, the members of the IRC can only be removed by the Governor of Arizona, with the concurrence of two-thirds of the Senate, for substantial neglect of duty, gross misconduct in office, or inability to discharge the duties of office

Wonderful, MORE bureaucracy.

In a bad week for the GOP, the Supreme Court may well have delivered an A-Bomb to the Republican party.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Monday upheld Arizona congressional districts drawn by an independent commission and rejected a constitutional challenge from Repulicans.

The 5-4 outcome preserves efforts in 13 states to limit partisan influence in redistricting. Most notably, California uses an independent commission to draw electoral boundaries for its largest-in-the-nation congressional delegation.

--------

Basically, it blows apart the idea that those who control the State Legislatures can draw whatever crazy congressional districts they want.

Finally some good news on this front. No political party should be able to gerrymander districts. NO party.

Gerrymandering reduces the effectiveness of individual votes and needs to be eliminated. And yes both parties have been guilty of this in the past. Republicans have taken it to whole new levels the past few years. Enough.

Stop both parties from doing this.

AGAINST the commission.

The GOP as a party didn't bring the suit; thhe Republican-controlled Arizona Legislature did. The germane grouping here is the Arizona Legislature. This is a contest between a government body and an independent commission.
You're right, the republican controlled legislature brought it, and likely only because they thought they could get more republican seats without the commission than with it.

In the future it could have been a democratic legislature bringing the same suit, making the decision more of a loss for partisans

--------

Finally some good news on this front. No political party should be able to gerrymander districts. NO party.

Gerrymandering reduces the effectiveness of individual votes and needs to be eliminated. And yes both parties have been guilty of this in the past. Republicans have taken it to whole new levels the past few years. Enough.

Stop both parties from doing this.

All this does is give progressives more chance to get the districts done their way. They know they are losing fights at the State levels, and need this to get their own way.

This is good. One of the many reasons we have an American Politboro with a 98 percent re-election rate in the House is because of naked gerrymandering. Hopefully, other citizen groups in other states will follow California's and Arizona's lead and introduce similar amendments to their state constitutions.

AGAINST the commission.

You're right, the republican controlled legislature brought it, and likely only because they thought they could get more republican seats without the commission than with it.

In the future it could have been a democratic legislature bringing the same suit, making the decision more of a loss for partisans

That assumes democrats 1) play by the rules and 2) have a conscience.

Forum List

Back