BREAKING:Justices uphold Arizona's system for redistricting

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
In a bad week for the GOP, the Supreme Court may well have delivered an A-Bomb to the Republican party.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Monday upheld Arizona congressional districts drawn by an independent commission and rejected a constitutional challenge from Repulicans.

The 5-4 outcome preserves efforts in 13 states to limit partisan influence in redistricting. Most notably, California uses an independent commission to draw electoral boundaries for its largest-in-the-nation congressional delegation.

--------

Basically, it blows apart the idea that those who control the State Legislatures can draw whatever crazy congressional districts they want.

This is a Big Fucking Deal to quote the Vice President.

In a bad week for the GOP, the Supreme Court may well have delivered an A-Bomb to the Republican party.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Monday upheld Arizona congressional districts drawn by an independent commission and rejected a constitutional challenge from Repulicans.

The 5-4 outcome preserves efforts in 13 states to limit partisan influence in redistricting. Most notably, California uses an independent commission to draw electoral boundaries for its largest-in-the-nation congressional delegation.

--------

Basically, it blows apart the idea that those who control the State Legislatures can draw whatever crazy congressional districts they want.

So now the world "legislature" doesn't mean anything either.

Great.

Wow....Kennedy just keeps on delivering! Good job on the Supreme Court....Drawing Maps is not mentioned anywhere in the constitution.

--------

Great.

We the People decided that a commission draw the congressional lines. The GOP didn't like that.

--------

Great.

We the People decided that a commission draw the congressional lines. The GOP didn't like that.

The constitution says the legislatures figure it out, but you and progressives don't like that. Now you get to create "independent commissions" stocked with your own people.

Wow....Kennedy just keeps on delivering! Good job on the Supreme Court....Drawing Maps is not mentioned anywhere in the constitution.

A lot of 5-4 rulings....

This should underscore all of those on the fence about voting for HIllary if she is the nominee....

If a GOP President is elected, a lot of these rulings could be reversed easily (as easily as the high Court does anything).

The SCOTUS turned down a case about voter registration also, which is a win for Democrats too. It's kinda looking like the EPA and Death Penalty rulings are the only ones in Republican's favor.

The constitution says the legislatures figure it out

oops%20wrong%20answer.png

The SCOTUS turned down a case about voter registration also, which is a win for Democrats too. It's kinda looking like the EPA and Death Penalty rulings are the only ones in Republican's favor.

This is what a "victory" looks like for the GOP. The EPA didn't go away...it just must factor in costs now in some cases. Probably a good idea on the whole.

--------

Wouldn't it be smartest for EVERY state to have an independent commission to do this? Not sure how you get an independent commission since MOST people are registered voters or worked on a campaign for a candidate or voted a certain way but its better than allowing politicians more power to bend things their way this includes democrats AND republicans.

--------

Wouldn't it be smartest for EVERY state to have an independent commission to do this? Not sure how you get an independent commission since MOST people are registered voters or worked on a campaign for a candidate or voted a certain way but its better than allowing politicians more power to bend things their way this includes democrats AND republicans.

In AZ, there are 5 commissioners, 2D, 2R and an I who is the chair.

--------

In AZ, there are 5 commissioners, 2D, 2R and an I who is the chair.
Ahhhh then what the hell were the republicans bitching about? They get half the seats democrats get half and an independent gets 1. Jeez...amazes me the stupid shit that goes to the SC.

Wouldn't it be smartest for EVERY state to have an independent commission to do this?

Probably. But each state has the power to decide for itself how it will redistrict, or whether it will redistrict at all. There is no obligation to redistrict, except for when reapportionment changes the total number of Congresspersons owed to a state.

Not sure how you get an independent commission since MOST people are registered voters or worked on a campaign for a candidate or voted a certain way

In Arizona they have a five person panel, chosen every 10 years and selected by both parties. Not a perfect system, but far better than a single partisan committee.

--------

Great.
I said it yesterday

SCOTUS has neutered Congress, in that they have no Power of the Purse when it comes to ACA
State governments have no say whether or not to accept subsidies
States have no say as to what the legal definition of Marriage is, despite the fact that most states arrived at that distinction by a 60/40 decision of its citizenry
Our President, and his pen, can rewrite laws on a whim

I'm glad that the recipients of all their new-found "freedom" are rejoicing

I'm weeping at the dismantling of our separation of powers

--------

Great.
I said it yesterday

SCOTUS has neutered Congress, in that they have no Power of the Purse when it comes to ACA
States have no say as to what the legal definition of Marriage is, despite the fact that most states arrived at that distinction by a 60/40 decision of its citizenry

The AZ ruling puts the power to draw congressional lines into the hands of an independent commission if the citizens of a State wish to establish one.

I certainly wish it would have stipulated that each state set one up and bar the state legislatures from drawing the lines since they obviously do so only to preserve their own power.

I certainly wish it would have stipulated that each state set one up and bar the state legislatures from drawing the lines since they obviously do so only to preserve their own power.

That would have been a disgusting miscarriage of justice of the court had done that.

--------

Great.
I said it yesterday

The AZ ruling puts the power to draw congressional lines into the hands of an independent commission if the citizens of a State wish to establish one.

This latest ruling is a WIN for fair-monded voters....I wish that the Texan democrats had brought up the case.

Basically, the GOP wants for redistricting to be done based on registered voters and NOT on the population number of a particular district.

That would have been a disgusting miscarriage of justice of the court had done that.

Uh no, that would have been the greatest example of justice being served I could think of. Districts are put together without any regard to what is best for their constituents:

Here is the NC 12:
nc12.jpg

Here is the AZ 2nd:
az02.jpg

There is no hint of justice ever being considered much less served.

However, it would not have been in the court's purview to do so--set up commissions. I think what you meant was that it would have been a disgusting overstep of judicial power. I could be wrong.

The only reason I brought it up was that the standard "gloom and doom" crap of executive power-grabs.

--------

Finally the dolts get something right................at least on the surface

Forum List

Back