Breaking! Appeals Court Rules Charles Manson cult follower Leslie Van Houten should be Paroled

I'm not not believing this. The nutty appeals court Justices overturned Gavin Newsom's decision to keep her in prison. The murders seems like it was yesterday.

The murders seem like they were "just yesterday"? How freaking old are you? They happened back in August of 1969. I was only 5 years old when they happened, and I've graduated HS, had a successful Navy career, and been retired for over 20 years!

Not only that, but one of the reasonings was that Manson had an undue hold on her and her actions, but Charlie has been dead for the past 5 years.

The murders seem like they were "just yesterday"? How freaking old are you? They happened back in August of 1969. I was only 5 years old when they happened, and I've graduated HS, had a successful Navy career, and been retired for over 20 years!

Not only that, but one of the reasonings was that Manson had an undue hold on her and her actions, but Charlie has been dead for the past 5 years.
Been locked up for about 54 years, since the killings when she was 19? Maybe her killing days are behind her.

They should all be dead. It's an injustice that they got to live at all.

But Justice would still be done if she were to croak behind bars.
To be honest, it would not bother me either, but niether does this bother me. At 19, she was the type that would follow any charismatic psycho, with enough drugs and do horrific things, as Manson seemed to have that effect over that criminal cult. 55 years later, psycho Manson has been dead for 5, though should have been executed years ago, as the leader of the little Helter Skelter group. I do not remember if she too, had a death sentence or simply received life. At 19 years old, 55 years is life, and she was safely locked away for hers. It bothers me not, she will be released at age 70.

To be honest, it would not bother me either, but niether does this bother me. At 19, she was the type that would follow any charismatic psycho, with enough drugs and do horrific things, as Manson seemed to have that effect over that criminal cult. 55 years later, psycho Manson has been dead for 5, though should have been executed years ago, as the leader of the little Helter Skelter group. I do not remember if she too, had a death sentence or simply received life. At 19 years old, 55 years is life, and she was safely locked away for hers. It bothers me not, she will be released at age 70.

Well said. I cannot find any care either way. I would not be upset is she is let out and will not lose sleep if she is not.

The only real issue I have is the stupid argument she is still a danger to society.

I'm not not believing this. The nutty appeals court Justices overturned Gavin Newsom's decision to keep her in prison. The murders seems like it was yesterday.

aside from releasing the nutjob on the streets,, after all these yrs how in the world will she ever fit into a normal society ever again,,,

Well said. I cannot find any care either way. I would not be upset is she is let out and will not lose sleep if she is not.

The only real issue I have is the stupid argument she is still a danger to society.
The crimes they committed are too heinous for any of the remaining ones to be let out. They made global news when it happened. They stuck a fork in Leno LaBianca's carved up abdomen and watched it wiggle back and forth as he died. Then they took his blood and wiped Helter Skelter and Death to Pigs on the walls and fridge. Oh, they made sandwiches after they killed them.

I get that, too. There is supposed to be a place for mercy tempering justice.

But the Manson “Family” victims won’t ever get the benefit of such mercy. I guess that just sticks a bit in my craw.

The crimes they committed are too heinous for any of the remaining ones to be let out. They made global news when it happened. They stuck a fork in Leno LaBianca's carved up abdomen and watched it wiggle back and forth as he died. Then they took his blood and wiped Helter Skelter and Death to Pigs on the walls and fridge. Oh, they made sandwiches after they killed them.

54 years ago. This lady has spent 70% of her life in prison. I cannot really find it in me to care either way what happens to her.

I get that, too. There is supposed to be a place for mercy tempering justice.

But the Manson “Family” victims won’t ever get the benefit of such mercy. I guess that just sticks a bit in my craw.
I understand. Somewhere above, I commented hopefully she had murder out of her system after all this time, and somebody wrote, the comment could sound like famous last words. They are, of course correct, but hopefully the parole board has a better understanding than we do.

I understand. Somewhere above, I commented hopefully she had murder out of her system after all this time, and somebody wrote, the comment could sound like famous last words. They are, of course correct, but hopefully the parole board has a better understanding than we do.
Parole Boards have much to consider. And certainly risk (or lack of future risk) to the community is part of that. But I don’t think that makes them particularly “expert” in such matters. It is a tragic fact of life that, sometimes, parolees do commit crimes after release.

And I’m not convinced she is worth the risk. Even the CA Governor wasn’t so sure about her.

Put it this way. I don’t get a vote. But if her serving the rest of her days behind bars is not unjust (and I say it isn’t), then I would be pretty darn content letting her stay behind bars for another 30 years or so.

Parole Boards have much to consider. And certainly risk (or lack of future risk) to the community is part of that. But I don’t think that makes them particularly “expert” in such matters. It is a tragic fact of life that, sometimes, parolees do commit crimes after release.

And I’m not convinced she is worth the risk. Even the CA Governor wasn’t so sure about her.

Put it this way. I don’t get a vote. But if her serving the rest of her days behind bars is not unjust (and I say it isn’t), then I would be pretty darn content letting her stay behind bars for another 30 years or so.
In many cases, I agree. We've seen youthful offenders doing 5 to 10 get out on early parole, only becoming worse than when they went in. In this case, she went in at 19, coming out at 70. I figure she has had a psych exam before this one and earlier parole hearings. Hopefully they have it right, and are not just being pathetic bleeding heart liberals, although we are talking about California. Who knows?

Last edited:
I dunno. I would have never gotten involved with shit like that at 19. At 70 she could live longer and she did do some crazy shit.

Forum List

Back