Charles Manson follower, killer Leslie Van Houten, approved for parole

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The vicious killers that crawled out of Spahn Ranch in the summer of 1969 at Charles Manson’s behest to kill innocent people didn’t just terrify California, but the entire country. The addled, apocalyptic death cult these murderers and their master were the faces of — a cult that embraced a pseudo-philosophy that had something to do with the Beatles song “Helter Skelter” and a race war — was terrifying precisely because it made no sense. The Manson “family” became another emblem of the strange years known as the 60s and many of its members are in prison to this day.

But Leslie Van Houten, a former member of Manson family who killed a married couple almost 50 years ago and wrote messages of revolution on the walls in their blood, may soon be on her way out. Hope for Van Houten came at the conclusion of a five-hour hearing at the California Institution for Women in Corona on Thursday, when a panel recommended parole for the 66-year-old convicted killer. She had previously been denied 19 times.

Never thought this would happen.

The vicious killers that crawled out of Spahn Ranch in the summer of 1969 at Charles Manson’s behest to kill innocent people didn’t just terrify California, but the entire country. The addled, apocalyptic death cult these murderers and their master were the faces of — a cult that embraced a pseudo-philosophy that had something to do with the Beatles song “Helter Skelter” and a race war — was terrifying precisely because it made no sense. The Manson “family” became another emblem of the strange years known as the 60s and many of its members are in prison to this day.

But Leslie Van Houten, a former member of Manson family who killed a married couple almost 50 years ago and wrote messages of revolution on the walls in their blood, may soon be on her way out. Hope for Van Houten came at the conclusion of a five-hour hearing at the California Institution for Women in Corona on Thursday, when a panel recommended parole for the 66-year-old convicted killer. She had previously been denied 19 times.

Never thought this would happen.

As long as they don't release the head honcho, letting some of these has been anarchist hippies isn't ideal to me, but doesn't bother me too much.

We took 50 years of her life from her. I would prefer more, but I can live with it.

1969....i was young....16 ish and i remember this and the horror of it all.....people are numb to this stuff now....wasnt like that then...she has served most of her life....is she sick they will boot her out if she is sick ...due to costs

Good point. I just ran a search and I'm not seeing anything about an illness. Atkins had cancer but died in prison.

Again, when you are running a Prison Industrial Complex like we do in this country, there's no point in keeping one of those cells for a person who is too old to produce anything for that Prison industrial Complex, is there?

You guys totally miss the point of the prison industrial complex. It isn't to keep you safe. It's to make money for the 1% and keep the 99% scared and in line.

Again, when you are running a Prison Industrial Complex like we do in this country, there's no point in keeping one of those cells for a person who is too old to produce anything for that Prison industrial Complex, is there?

You guys totally miss the point of the prison industrial complex. It isn't to keep you safe. It's to make money for the 1% and keep the 99% scared and in line.

You forgot to rant about plutocrats.

IapBtka.jpg

i agree marty without manson it would not have happened.....yet i still find it interesting he will spend the rest of his life in jail and never killed anyone...while many killers are walking the street....the american justice system is a scarey thing at times

Ah yes, the efficiency of Jim Cronyism.

Given the notoriety of the Manson murders, I thought none of them would ever get out

Van Houten is 66 and been a model prisoner. If not for the Manson stigma, she would have been released years ago for a similar crime

i agree marty without manson it would not have happened.....yet i still find it interesting he will spend the rest of his life in jail and never killed anyone...while many killers are walking the street....the american justice system is a scarey thing at times

To me it actually makes perfect sense. The intent to commit the crimes was all with Manson. He was the one who wanted "Helter Skelter", and decided that murdering these people would lead to it. The people he used to accomplish it were a bunch of drugged out gullible hippie idiots.

That doesn't absolve them, but I do think it gives them the right to more access to the privilege of possible parole.

Given the notoriety of the Manson murders, I thought none of them would ever get out

Van Houten is 66 and been a model prisoner. If not for the Manson stigma, she would have been released years ago for a similar crime

Model prisoner is a contributing factor, but Berkowitz has been a "model prisoner" for decades. They only thing we have going for us there is he doesn't want to be paroled.

Notoriety is a contributing factor when it comes to parole. Some crimes are just too nasty to consider release, or release before a certain time, even with good behavior.

1969....i was young....16 ish and i remember this and the horror of it all.....people are numb to this stuff now....wasnt like that then...she has served most of her life....is she sick they will boot her out if she is sick ...due to costs
Susan Atkins was denied a compassionate release and kept locked up after becoming 85% paralyzed from brain cancer and having to have a leg amputated. She got a slow suffering death in prison for her deeds.

Susan Atkins was denied a compassionate release and kept locked up after becoming 85% paralyzed from brain cancer and having to have a leg amputated. She got a slow suffering death in prison for her deeds.

Sadie was the most vicious of the killers....Van Houten among the least

I remember that spring and summer of 1970.

Very scary, for the entire country.

If she stays in prison, OK. If not, OK.

If Manson were freed he would still find 19 year old girls who would follow him

Forum List

Back