Brazil To Kentucky: How Tariffs Could Affect The Coal Industry

1. It is a government policy choice to let foreign competition fuck our industrial heartland. It will be a goverment policy choice to reverse that.

2. Why should a tariff paid by the American consumers be a matter of concern for them?

3. From that right wing rag, NPR. The Forces Driving Middle-Aged White People's 'Deaths Of Despair'

"In 2015, when researchers Anne Case and Angus Deaton discovered that death rates had been rising dramatically since 1999 among middle-aged white Americans, they weren't sure why people were dying younger, reversing decades of longer life expectancy.

Now the husband-and-wife economists say they have a better understanding of what's causing these "deaths of despair" by suicide, drugs and alcohol.

In a follow-up to their groundbreaking 2015 work, they say that a lack of steady, well-paying jobs for whites without college degrees has caused pain, distress and social dysfunction to build up over time. The mortality rate for that group, ages 45 to 54, increased by a half percent each year from 1999 to 2013.

But whites with college degrees haven't suffered the same lack of economic opportunity and haven't seen the same loss of life expectancy. The study was published Thursday in Brookings Papers on Economic Activity."

"Anne Case: These deaths of despair have been accompanied by reduced labor force participation, reduced marriage rates, increases in reports of poor health and poor mental health. So we are beginning to thread a story in that it's possible that [the trend is] consistent with the labor market collapsing for people with less than a college degree. In turn, those people are being less able to form stable marriages, and in turn that has effects on the kind of economic and social supports that people need in order to thrive."

1. Over dramatic much?

2. I am sure our grain farmers will not need to ask that question soon, they will be living it.

3. So, uneducated white people are too lazy to do something to better themselves and choose to kill themselves. Seems like Darwin was right.

7 years ago my wife and were facing some of those same pressures, deep in debt and not much in the way of prospects after getting out of the Corps. So we did something about it, since that time I went from "some college" to a Masters degree and my wife started and completed Nursing school and is now an RN. We are now basically debt free and making more than 4 times what we were 7 years ago as a family.

1. YOur use of ridicule as a dodge is noted. My point stands. I support the one trade policy, you suppor the other. YOu are the one pretending it is more than that.

2. Another dodge. The real answer is that they care because they want to make Trade Surpluses. You couldn't say that because you want to pretend that our massive Trade DEFICITS are not something that needs fixing.

3. You asked me to support my claim that this country has been harmed by our trade partners. I provided it, and now you've moved the goal posts to, while they should do something about it. That's another dodge.

Three strikes and you are out.

THis is where you admit that you have lost the debate and we move on to discussing "what next".

1. It is a government policy choice to let foreign competition fuck our industrial heartland. It will be a goverment policy choice to reverse that.

2. Why should a tariff paid by the American consumers be a matter of concern for them?

3. From that right wing rag, NPR. The Forces Driving Middle-Aged White People's 'Deaths Of Despair'

"In 2015, when researchers Anne Case and Angus Deaton discovered that death rates had been rising dramatically since 1999 among middle-aged white Americans, they weren't sure why people were dying younger, reversing decades of longer life expectancy.

Now the husband-and-wife economists say they have a better understanding of what's causing these "deaths of despair" by suicide, drugs and alcohol.

In a follow-up to their groundbreaking 2015 work, they say that a lack of steady, well-paying jobs for whites without college degrees has caused pain, distress and social dysfunction to build up over time. The mortality rate for that group, ages 45 to 54, increased by a half percent each year from 1999 to 2013.

But whites with college degrees haven't suffered the same lack of economic opportunity and haven't seen the same loss of life expectancy. The study was published Thursday in Brookings Papers on Economic Activity."

"Anne Case: These deaths of despair have been accompanied by reduced labor force participation, reduced marriage rates, increases in reports of poor health and poor mental health. So we are beginning to thread a story in that it's possible that [the trend is] consistent with the labor market collapsing for people with less than a college degree. In turn, those people are being less able to form stable marriages, and in turn that has effects on the kind of economic and social supports that people need in order to thrive."

1. Over dramatic much?

2. I am sure our grain farmers will not need to ask that question soon, they will be living it.

3. So, uneducated white people are too lazy to do something to better themselves and choose to kill themselves. Seems like Darwin was right.

7 years ago my wife and were facing some of those same pressures, deep in debt and not much in the way of prospects after getting out of the Corps. So we did something about it, since that time I went from "some college" to a Masters degree and my wife started and completed Nursing school and is now an RN. We are now basically debt free and making more than 4 times what we were 7 years ago as a family.

1. YOur use of ridicule as a dodge is noted. My point stands. I support the one trade policy, you suppor the other. YOu are the one pretending it is more than that.

2. Another dodge. The real answer is that they care because they want to make Trade Surpluses. You couldn't say that because you want to pretend that our massive Trade DEFICITS are not something that needs fixing.

3. You asked me to support my claim that this country has been harmed by our trade partners. I provided it, and now you've moved the goal posts to, while they should do something about it. That's another dodge.

THis is where you admit that you have lost the debate and we move on to discussing "what next".

1. Yes, one of us supports a trade policy that favors less government interference and more freedom for individuals. The other one of us favors a trade policy that includes more government interference and less choice for individuals.

2. OR, it could be that the tariffs make their goods less competitive ,while not changing whether there is a trade surplus or deficit...which is exactly what the tariffs imposed by Trump do. They have nothing to do with turning the US into a country with a trade surplus.

3. You are correct, you did support your claim and I should have thanked you for that, it is a rare thing on this forum. The point I was trying to make, which I guess I failed at, was that I do not think the government should base policy on the fact that one segment of the population is unable to deal with the changing world. The merry-go-round will not stop, the world is not going to stop changing. People either adapt or they get left behind.

1. Over dramatic much?

1. Yes, one of us supports a trade policy that favors less government interference and more freedom for individuals. The other one of us favors a trade policy that includes more government interference and less choice for individuals.

2. OR, it could be that the tariffs make their goods less competitive ,while not changing whether there is a trade surplus or deficit...which is exactly what the tariffs imposed by Trump do. They have nothing to do with turning the US into a country with a trade surplus.

3. You are correct, you did support your claim and I should have thanked you for that, it is a rare thing on this forum. The point I was trying to make, which I guess I failed at, was that I do not think the government should base policy on the fact that one segment of the population is unable to deal with the changing world. The merry-go-round will not stop, the world is not going to stop changing. People either adapt or they get left behind.

1. Allowing other nations governments predator trade practices to operate unchecked is not lack of government.

2. So, if no one cares about trade deficits, then what does it matter if their exports are less competitive. The trade surplus goes to US for a change. So who cares? What's the problem if it doesn't matter?

3. Individuals can adapt. Large populations cannot. The people of the Rust Belt, for one limited example, cannot deal with unfair competition from globalization. The governments of these other nations have stacked the game against them to the point they cannot overcome it. ANd it is literally killing them.

That is a fine reason for government policy.

Trade as it is occurring is not benefiting this nation as a whole It is not to our benefit.

1. Over dramatic much?

1. Allowing other nations governments predator trade practices to operate unchecked is not lack of government.

2. So, if no one cares about trade deficits, then what does it matter if their exports are less competitive. The trade surplus goes to US for a change. So who cares? What's the problem if it doesn't matter?

3. Individuals can adapt. Large populations cannot. The people of the Rust Belt, for one limited example, cannot deal with unfair competition from globalization. The governments of these other nations have stacked the game against them to the point they cannot overcome it. ANd it is literally killing them.

Trade as it is occurring is not benefiting this nation as a whole It is not to our benefit.

1. There are no trade deals the US has that are not beneficial to all parties.

2. The US will still not have a trade surplus after the tariffs take effect. We will only have the "surplus" on things we sell to other countries, we can never have a surplus on things that we buy. Everything we sell we is at a 100% surplus and everything we buy is at a 100% deficit. This seems to confuse a lot of people.

3. Even large populations can, and have to adapt. In the early 1900s roughly 50% of the population was involved in agricultural, now that number is less than 2%. That populaoint had to adapt. Or should the government had policies in effect that would have prevented that? Do you think it would be beneficial to our country if 50% of the population was still working in the Ag industry?

No policy will ever benefit everyone in the country 100%, no trade deal will ever be good for 100% of the country. Even the tariffs you are so happy for are only good for a small industry, but will harm 80 times more people than they help. That is how many times more people work in industries that use steel and aluminum as opposed to the number that produce it in this country.

1. Over dramatic much?

1. There are no trade deals the US has that are not beneficial to all parties.

2. The US will still not have a trade surplus after the tariffs take effect. We will only have the "surplus" on things we sell to other countries, we can never have a surplus on things that we buy. Everything we sell we is at a 100% surplus and everything we buy is at a 100% deficit. This seems to confuse a lot of people.

3. Even large populations can, and have to adapt. In the early 1900s roughly 50% of the population was involved in agricultural, now that number is less than 2%. That populaoint had to adapt. Or should the government had policies in effect that would have prevented that? Do you think it would be beneficial to our country if 50% of the population was still working in the Ag industry?

No policy will ever benefit everyone in the country 100%, no trade deal will ever be good for 100% of the country. Even the tariffs you are so happy for are only good for a small industry, but will harm 80 times more people than they help. That is how many times more people work in industries that use steel and aluminum as opposed to the number that produce it in this country.

1. The decline in white life expectancy shows otherwise.

2. So, why are our trade partner so put out if it doesn't matter. Oh, have you seen the link about the high tariffs that the EU has on cheap chinese steel? Hypocrisy of an INDUSTRIAL scale.

3. I think that there are a lot of good jobs to be had, protected and reclaimed in manufacturing. That is why our trade partners are so pissed off. THey want as many of those jobs as they can have. SOMEDAY, manufacturing is likely to be a job scare as agriculture, but that time is at least decades away and not a reason to just give up on those jobs or those people.

2. So, why are our trade partner so put out if it doesn't matter. Oh, have you seen the link about the high tariffs that the EU has on cheap chinese steel? Hypocrisy of an INDUSTRIAL scale.

3. I think that there are a lot of good jobs to be had, protected and reclaimed in manufacturing. That is why our trade partners are so pissed off. THey want as many of those jobs as they can have. SOMEDAY, manufacturing is likely to be a job scare as agriculture, but that time is at least decades away and not a reason to just give up on those jobs or those people.

1. That is not the trade agreements fault, it is the inability of the uneducated white guy to adapt.

2. What matters is that both sides are mutually benefited. Clearly our trade partners feel this does not benefit them. If you grocery store, whom is your trade partner, suddenly raised the price of beef by 25% would you be put off or would you just say "oh well, it does not matter'?

3. At what cost?

1. That is not the trade agreements fault, it is the inability of the uneducated white guy to adapt.

2. What matters is that both sides are mutually benefited. Clearly our trade partners feel this does not benefit them. If you grocery store, whom is your trade partner, suddenly raised the price of beef by 25% would you be put off or would you just say "oh well, it does not matter'?

3. At what cost?

1. Forcing tens of millions of our citizens to adapt or die, is hardly a benefit to US. That is not mutually beneficial trade, so why are we doing it?

2. Except they aren't the ones paying, so that can't be it. Try again.

3. Well, consider the scale of the cost we are already bearing. 500 billion a year and a middle class so ravaged that our life expectancy is actually DECLINING. With that in mind, I am ready to bear quite a cost to fix that.

3. At what cost?

1. Forcing tens of millions of our citizens to adapt or die, is hardly a benefit to US. That is not mutually beneficial trade, so why are we doing it?

3. Well, consider the scale of the cost we are already bearing. 500 billion a year and a middle class so ravaged that our life expectancy is actually DECLINING. With that in mind, I am ready to bear quite a cost to fix that.

1. You are being a little over dramatic again. There are not tens of millions of people out of work in the manufacturing sector. In 1950 there were 13.1 million people employed by the manufacturing sector, today that number is 12.6 million and the highest it ever got between then and now was 19.3 million.

If the other 300 million people are benefiting, then it is indeed mutually beneficial trade.

3. Middle class life expectancy is not going down, just white, uneducated people. They are not the only ones in the middle class.

But if you want to get rid of that 500 billion, get people to quit buying things from other countries, start a true America only movement. We have 500 billion trade deficit because the individual citizens of this country have chosen to buy things made in other countries. They were not forced to do so, it was our free choice.

3. At what cost?

1. You are being a little over dramatic again. There are not tens of millions of people out of work in the manufacturing sector. In 1950 there were 13.1 million people employed by the manufacturing sector, today that number is 12.6 million and the highest it ever got between then and now was 19.3 million.

If the other 300 million people are benefiting, then it is indeed mutually beneficial trade.

3. Middle class life expectancy is not going down, just white, uneducated people. They are not the only ones in the middle class.

But if you want to get rid of that 500 billion, get people to quit buying things from other countries, start a true America only movement. We have 500 billion trade deficit because the individual citizens of this country have chosen to buy things made in other countries. They were not forced to do so, it was our free choice.

1. Are you really that far away from the people who have been fucked? YOu don't know anyone that lost a good job and never found another? You haven't seen the impact on their lives and the lives of their families? You don't know anyone that wasn't able to afford college and has had nothing but a series of shit jobs their whole lives, because there are so few decent jobs for people without degrees in this economy?

You really don't see the scale of the problem?

2. Hey, did you hear of the large tariffs that the EU has on cheap Chinese steel? They did it to protect their steel industries. Strange how that works.

3. The economic stress on white high school grads have been so bad that it is dragging down the numbers for the entire nation as a whole. That is a bad result of a bad policy.

Trade policy is not an individual choice. The voters elected a man who promised an American First trade policy. THat is how trade policy is done in a democratic nation.

WHAT BENEFIT, to those who are benefiting from "Free Trade" is worth a drop in life span for the nation as a whole?

miners are being lied to. they believe THEIR jobs are 'coming back'. they think that THEY will be mining instead of a robotic solution to their black lung disease.

"automation" has become a buzz word used by those who are against Trump's pro jobs agenda.

coal automation - Google Search

A Google search is not an argument. It is not even a clearly stated position.

Coal is 40 per cent of world electricity production.

Ignoring it is not a reasonable, or even sane policy.

No matter how many times you say, "automation".

ignoring the many articles & reporting that automation is replacing humans & does not support your argument that humans will be holding those supposed jobs that are 'coming back'.

my point stands & you have failed to prove yours.

None of those article claim that automation is the SOLE CAUSE of job loss.

Thus your point is the one that is unsupported.

lol... i see what you tried to do there. i never said they were the SOLE cause... but it is probably the major reason as far as coal is CONcerned.

why hasn't trump brought his clothing lines back here from china & mexico? you tried arguing in the past that it was because of 'job killing regulations'. he removed so many protections, that there isn't any reason why.... other than he is a filthy liar.

got any new excuses, cartoon boy?

coal will not be coming back in the way that miners' think. automation over humans means more productivity without the health risks, therefore no medical insurance needed for non humans. plus no paycheck distribution.

Automation is not an excuse to not care about jobs.

miners are being lied to. they believe THEIR jobs are 'coming back'. they think that THEY will be mining instead of a robotic solution to their black lung disease.
Shit for brains, Most coal comes from open pit mining and has a zero health risks.
You silly little fucker

602a3a67ee54b8e30f9dd8b13b7431b3.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2011-172/pdfs/2011-172.pdf
http://www.kyenvironmentalfoundation.org/coal-mining-health-risks.html
Coal Mining Health Risks

Health effects of coal - SourceWatch

:fu:

"automation" has become a buzz word used by those who are against Trump's pro jobs agenda.

coal automation - Google Search

A Google search is not an argument. It is not even a clearly stated position.

Coal is 40 per cent of world electricity production.

Ignoring it is not a reasonable, or even sane policy.

No matter how many times you say, "automation".

ignoring the many articles & reporting that automation is replacing humans & does not support your argument that humans will be holding those supposed jobs that are 'coming back'.

my point stands & you have failed to prove yours.

None of those article claim that automation is the SOLE CAUSE of job loss.

Thus your point is the one that is unsupported.

lol... i see what you tried to do there. i never said they were the SOLE cause... but it is probably the major reason as far as coal is CONcerned.

YOu are against a pro-job policy because you think that it cannot bring any jobs back because of "automation".

That only makes sense, if you believe that "automation" is the only significant cause of job loss.

Surely if "automation" was responsible for 60% of the job loss, than you would not have said that "humans would not being holding those jobs" you would have said that "humans would only be holding 40% of those jobs".

BTW, thanks for reminding me. It's been too long.

THis is for you, I know you love them.

635776420276289334_d783.jpg

coal will not be coming back in the way that miners' think. automation over humans means more productivity without the health risks, therefore no medical insurance needed for non humans. plus no paycheck distribution.

Automation is not an excuse to not care about jobs.

Shit for brains, Most coal comes from open pit mining and has a zero health risks.
You silly little fucker

Yep, no health risk at all...:21::21:

Surface Coal Miners At Risk For Black Lung

Diesel fuel is a cancer risk....wanna halt the trucking industry?

start converting to with veggie oil. there are fast food places who would LOVE to get rid of theirs for a profit instead of paying to have it taken away... & it's easy to do with diesel engines.

Na, I live right near coal country. We never hear of any black lung.
56fd51bf60cd3.image.jpg

Well, the fact you do not hear about it is wayyyyy more compelling than all of these scientific studies...silly me...

Black Lung Plagues Surface Miners, New Study Shows
Debilitating Lung Disease Among Surface Coal Miners With No Underground Mining Tenure
Respiratory Diseases Caused by Coal Mine Dust
Lol
All dust is not good, living is a risk, it’s best if you stay in seclusion in your safe space... snowflake

Thank you for admitting you were wrong. That is something new for you. I hope it is a trend
Obviously so called “black lung” is not an issue here in coal country, a red herring it seems. Lol

It's 2018 and black lung disease seems to be on the rise

There is no cure for the fatal condition.
By Amal Ahmed posted Feb 27th, 2018 at 12:30pm

It's 2018 and black lung disease seems to be on the rise

Yeah, where is Brazil going to get coal cheaper than the U.S.? Here let me laugh at your OP

China, India and (I believe) Australia produce MORE and CHEAPER coal than the U.S.
What are the chances that the Brazilian government would also know that???

What are you going to do libwit teleport it across the ocean? :auiqs.jpg:

like we do with ME oil?

Do you know the price difference between oil and coal /mocking sarcasm

never mind the fine particulate air surrounding coal mines.... how'z about a nice tall glass of toxic waste from a nearby steam or from the tap pumping in from a groundwater aquifer 'eh?

water.jpg

med_dont_drink_the_water.jpg.jpg

yummy.

so a few dollars in your pocket now, is worth fucking over your children & future generations?

Yeah, where is Brazil going to get coal cheaper than the U.S.? Here let me laugh at your OP

China, India and (I believe) Australia produce MORE and CHEAPER coal than the U.S.
What are the chances that the Brazilian government would also know that???

What are you going to do libwit teleport it across the ocean? :auiqs.jpg:

like we do with ME oil?

Do you know the price difference between oil and coal /mocking sarcasm

you should rephrase that to what is cheaper to destroy your health & the environment for several generations to come/ elevated mocking sarcasm

Forum List

Back