Brazil To Kentucky: How Tariffs Could Affect The Coal Industry

never mind the fine particulate air surrounding coal mines.... how'z about a nice tall glass of toxic waste from a nearby steam or from the tap pumping in from a groundwater aquifer 'eh?

water.jpg

med_dont_drink_the_water.jpg.jpg

yummy.

so a few dollars in your pocket now, is worth fucking over your children & future generations?

40 per cent of the world's electricity comes from coal. Turn off your computer, and your lights and your refrigerator.

Then go live in a cave in the woods.

never mind the fine particulate air surrounding coal mines.... how'z about a nice tall glass of toxic waste from a nearby steam or from the tap pumping in from a groundwater aquifer 'eh?

water.jpg

yummy.

so a few dollars in your pocket now, is worth fucking over your children & future generations?

40 per cent of the world's electricity comes from coal. Turn off your computer, and your lights and your refrigerator.

nice try....but not here. & my electricity comes from green sources.

Yeah, where is Brazil going to get coal cheaper than the U.S.? Here let me laugh at your OP

China, India and (I believe) Australia produce MORE and CHEAPER coal than the U.S.
What are the chances that the Brazilian government would also know that???

What are you going to do libwit teleport it across the ocean? :auiqs.jpg:

like we do with ME oil?

Do you know the price difference between oil and coal /mocking sarcasm

you should rephrase that to what is cheaper to destroy your health & the environment for several generations to come/ elevated mocking sarcasm

Sorry, first we have to deal with Dem's spilling millions of gallons of raw sewage into public waterways, so fouling them swimming must be banned for fear of disease. Why are Dem's destroying the environment?

Not only is coal not coming back , it will further shrink more

More winning trumpsters?

Last week, Brazil reminded U.S. officials that it’s the biggest buyer of American met coal – about $1 billion worth last year – in a statement expressing concerns over the tariffs.

Latin America’s largest economy imported nearly 5.2 million tons of U.S. met coal through September of last year – about 1.3 million more than the next highest consumer, Japan, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Brazil also said it would not rule out retaliating against proposed tariffs. Similarly, a European Union trade leader has threatened to impose tariffs on U.S.-made products like steel, cars, orange juice and Kentucky bourbon.

Sigh. . . . This is comical coming from the EU, given the fact that the EU is fiercely protectionist. The EU has high tariffs on hundreds of imported goods and won't even allow a wide range of American good to be sold within its borders. When will you folks stop gobbling up every piece of globalist propaganda that most of our news outlets unthinkingly repeat?

And, yeah, let Brazil try to replace its American coal imports with coal from another country. There's a reason that they buy coal from us, even though we're thousands of miles away from them. Furthermore, we could retaliate to Brazil's retaliation, if they wanna play that game. Brazilian factories pay dirt wages compared to our factories. So let Brazil try to pull that kind of stunt and see what happens now that Trump is in the White House.

Finally, we're fighting back on trade and you guys are ready to cave in after reading any little piece of globalist propaganda. Multinational corporations that have no allegiance to anyone but themselves are desperate to keep America from fighting back against decades of getting clobbered on trade.

water.jpg

yummy.

YOu traced the electricity used to make your computer? HOw many of your consumer products were made in china, where they are soooooooo well know for their greeness?

If we are not going to just bury ourselves alive to reduce our carbon foot print, a technological society will have an impact on the environment.

It is reasonable to want to limit it. It is not reasonable to attack the working class joes, who make our civilization possible.

China, India and (I believe) Australia produce MORE and CHEAPER coal than the U.S.
What are the chances that the Brazilian government would also know that???

like we do with ME oil?

you should rephrase that to what is cheaper to destroy your health & the environment for several generations to come/ elevated mocking sarcasm

Sorry, first we have to deal with Dem's spilling millions of gallons of raw sewage into public waterways, so fouling them swimming must be banned for fear of disease. Why are Dem's destroying the environment?

riiiiiiiight..... you mean intentionally allowing something like that to happen like scott pruitt (R) has sued the EPA to do & is now the head of the EPA & deregulated those same protections so they CAN be dumped into the waterways?

you mean like the gov rick snyder (R) michigan?

/big time mocking sarcasm.

water.jpg

yummy.

YOu traced the electricity used to make your computer? HOw many of your consumer products were made in china, where they are soooooooo well know for their greeness?

If we are not going to just bury ourselves alive to reduce our carbon foot print, a technological society will have an impact on the environment.

It is reasonable to want to limit it. It is not reasonable to attack the working class joes, who make our civilization possible.

i live in CT where we have consumer choice over where we get our power from. i attack anybody who screws with or turns a blind eye to those that fuck with the environment for the sake of $.

& i buy american made products wherever & whenever it is possible as well.

water.jpg

yummy.

i live in CT where we have consumer choice over where we get our power from. i attack anybody who screws with or turns a blind eye to those that fuck with the environment for the sake of $.

Well, good for you.

It is still not reasonable to attack people for wanting to make a living and who support our civilization in the process.

like we do with ME oil?

riiiiiiiight..... you mean intentionally allowing something like that to happen like scott pruitt (R) has sued the EPA to do & is now the head of the EPA & deregulated those same protections so they CAN be dumped into the waterways?

Dem's sewage spills ARE intentional, they refuse to fix their damn sewage systems and repeatedly spill hundreds of millions of gallons of raw sewage into public waterways. Choke on your hypocrisy lib.

1. Are you really that far away from the people who have been fucked? YOu don't know anyone that lost a good job and never found another? You haven't seen the impact on their lives and the lives of their families? You don't know anyone that wasn't able to afford college and has had nothing but a series of shit jobs their whole lives, because there are so few decent jobs for people without degrees in this economy?

You really don't see the scale of the problem?

2. Hey, did you hear of the large tariffs that the EU has on cheap Chinese steel? They did it to protect their steel industries. Strange how that works.

3. The economic stress on white high school grads have been so bad that it is dragging down the numbers for the entire nation as a whole. That is a bad result of a bad policy.

Trade policy is not an individual choice. The voters elected a man who promised an American First trade policy. THat is how trade policy is done in a democratic nation.

WHAT BENEFIT, to those who are benefiting from "Free Trade" is worth a drop in life span for the nation as a whole?

1. I do know a few people like that, and I know about 1000 people not like that. You talk about the scale of the problem, yet all indicators would say it is tiny portion of our population. Do we drag down the economy to the level of the people are you worried about in order to try and help them?

Right now that same scenario of not being able to afford college and having nothing but a series of shit jobs their whole lives plagues the inner city of almost every major city in the US, why is it you are not concerned about them and want our trade policies to help them more? You seem to have a very narrow focus of whom you want to help.

Also, while the number of people employed in the manufacturing industry has declined from 17 million to 12 million, the output over that same time has doubled.
Should we have economic policies in place to slow the efficiency of our factories so that they have to employ more people?

2. But it did not protect their steel industries, all it did was change where they imported their steel from. They do not import any less steel than they did prior to the additional tariffs. All they did was make the cost of everything that has steel in it more expensive.

3. Trade policy is not an individual choice, but trade deficits are in part. How many things do you have in your house that say made in somewhere other than the United States. What brand of TV do you watch? Where is the computer you are using made?

A more thorough look at the study that you posted earlier shows that there are many more factors other than just employment. Here is a more indepth look at the study...Death Rates Rising for Middle-Aged White Americans, Study Finds

I do not see economic isolationism as an "America First" policy, I see it as the policy of a man who cares more about cheers at his pep rallies than the long term economic health of our country.

1. Are you really that far away from the people who have been fucked? YOu don't know anyone that lost a good job and never found another? You haven't seen the impact on their lives and the lives of their families? You don't know anyone that wasn't able to afford college and has had nothing but a series of shit jobs their whole lives, because there are so few decent jobs for people without degrees in this economy?

You really don't see the scale of the problem?

2. Hey, did you hear of the large tariffs that the EU has on cheap Chinese steel? They did it to protect their steel industries. Strange how that works.

3. The economic stress on white high school grads have been so bad that it is dragging down the numbers for the entire nation as a whole. That is a bad result of a bad policy.

Trade policy is not an individual choice. The voters elected a man who promised an American First trade policy. THat is how trade policy is done in a democratic nation.

WHAT BENEFIT, to those who are benefiting from "Free Trade" is worth a drop in life span for the nation as a whole?

1. I do know a few people like that, and I know about 1000 people not like that. You talk about the scale of the problem, yet all indicators would say it is tiny portion of our population. Do we drag down the economy to the level of the people are you worried about in order to try and help them?

a. I'm not aware of any indicators that it is a tiny portion of our population. I drive though the rural Rust Belt regularly, and I see mile after mile, town after town, that have been utterly fucked.

b. Nothing about this involves "dragging our economy down. Is Germany's economy dragged down, by their healthy manufacturing sector, or their trade surplus? What about Japan?

Right now that same scenario of not being able to afford college and having nothing but a series of shit jobs their whole lives plagues the inner city of almost every major city in the US, why is it you are not concerned about them and want our trade policies to help them more? You seem to have a very narrow focus of whom you want to help.

NOt at all. But those people are CONSTANTLY being discussed and targeted. It is the working class white, the Rust Belt, Appalachia, ect, that have been ignored by policy makers for generations.

Also, while the number of people employed in the manufacturing industry has declined from 17 million to 12 million, the output over that same time has doubled.
Should we have economic policies in place to slow the efficiency of our factories so that they have to employ more people?

No, I've been clear that I want Trade Policy to address the losses in jobs from TRADE, not automation.

Sooo, not sure why you asked that question and I hope we don't waste any more time on it.

2. But it did not protect their steel industries, all it did was change where they imported their steel from. They do not import any less steel than they did prior to the additional tariffs. All they did was make the cost of everything that has steel in it more expensive.

a. BUt it reveals their whining about US doing the same thing to be nothing but pure hypocrisy.

b. Link?

3. Trade policy is not an individual choice, but trade deficits are in part. How many things do you have in your house that say made in somewhere other than the United States. What brand of TV do you watch? Where is the computer you are using made?

In part. But the way to address it is Trade POlicy.

A more thorough look at the study that you posted earlier shows that there are many more factors other than just employment. Here is a more indepth look at the study...Death Rates Rising for Middle-Aged White Americans, Study Finds

Not sure what you thought that linked showed. The factors are all factors that are driven b despair.

"They concluded that taken together, suicides, drugs and alcohol explained the overall increase in deaths"

I do not see economic isolationism as an "America First" policy, I see it as the policy of a man who cares more about cheers at his pep rallies than the long term economic health of our country.

Big difference between wanting better, fairer, more mutually beneficial trade deals, and Isolationism.

Is Germany isolationist? THey have a trade SURPLUS. Is Japan? Is South Korea?

Hell, is China? THey have the largest trade surplus in the world.

No, I've been clear that I want Trade Policy to address the losses in jobs from TRADE, not automation.

How do you determine between jobs lost to TRADE and jobs lost to automation, considering we are producing almost twice as much manufacturing products as we were 30 years ago?

Not sure what you thought that linked showed. The factors are all factors that are driven b despair.
"They concluded that taken together, suicides, drugs and alcohol explained the overall increase in deaths"

Drugs and alcohol are not signs of despair alone, there are many causes for addiction, most of which are not despair. The opioid addiction in our country is not being driven by despair.

Big difference between wanting better, fairer, more mutually beneficial trade deals, and Isolationism.
Is Germany isolationist? THey have a trade SURPLUS. Is Japan? Is South Korea?
Hell, is China? THey have the largest trade surplus in the world.

Until we can move past the political rhetoric of surplus and deficit we can never address actual problems. How far back do you wish to take our country? It has been 4 and a half decades since we last had a trade surplus. Do you wish to move our country backwards by 40 plus years?

Germany and Japan both have GDP growth slower than the US, do you wish for us to regress to them?

China is at the stage in their country's development that the US was in the 50s.

But as the great entertainer Cher told let us know, you cannot turn back time.

Question for you, say we were able to adjust our trade in such a way all these jobs you care about came back. Would you be willing for the government to also neuter the power of the unions so that our companies could be more competitive in the world marketplace?

water.jpg

yummy.

Well, good for you.

It is still not reasonable to attack people for wanting to make a living and who support our civilization in the process.

civilization as you know it & want it to be will continue to die. earth is the only home we have... there is no real escape & NOTHING survives without water.

that is becoming more precious than gold & certainly is compared to filthy coal. maybe not *you*, but *your* children will be fighting wars over clean water.

like we do with ME oil?

Dem's sewage spills ARE intentional, they refuse to fix their damn sewage systems and repeatedly spill hundreds of millions of gallons of raw sewage into public waterways. Choke on your hypocrisy lib.

lol... any infrastructure cash comes from DC & cash comes from the house.... & who has had CONtrol of the house for years?

ya, it ain't the (D)s dippity do duh.

How will Brazil react when we charge .50 a pound on coffee?

Do they have back-up countries with the need for their products
that exist in America?

Most of these countries are going to bitch and then just pay the tariff
OR renegotiate better deals with America.

If they don't want us charging tariff's, then they can't charge it on all
American products being shipped in.

Let 'em all bitch and when the yelling dies down...have them take a long
hard look at the cards they are holding.

Yeah, where is Brazil going to get coal cheaper than the U.S.? Here let me laugh at your OP :auiqs.jpg:

Where is America going to get cheaper steel than China? Yet, we slapped tariffs on them.

Brazil can slap tariffs on our coal, too, in retaliation for slapping tariffs on Brazilian steel.

That's how a trade war works.

But they are "good" and "easy to win."

Not only is coal not coming back , it will further shrink more

More winning trumpsters?

Last week, Brazil reminded U.S. officials that it’s the biggest buyer of American met coal – about $1 billion worth last year – in a statement expressing concerns over the tariffs.

Latin America’s largest economy imported nearly 5.2 million tons of U.S. met coal through September of last year – about 1.3 million more than the next highest consumer, Japan, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Brazil also said it would not rule out retaliating against proposed tariffs. Similarly, a European Union trade leader has threatened to impose tariffs on U.S.-made products like steel, cars, orange juice and Kentucky bourbon.

Brazil To Kentucky: How Tariffs Could Affect The Coal Industry

So is Brazil going to LOWER ther coal tariffs now to ensure their citizens get to buy coal cheaper?

That's been the argument by globalists, "you're only hurting your citizens" I assume CNN and others will come out and lash out at Brazil for wanting to increase prices for their citizens.

I like free trade and global trade, but not one sided exploitation. Pay the tariff and do what you must, but don't pretend that you and many others haven't been committed to helping America fail. They are a member of BRIC, they are wanting to produce an alternative reserve currency, the only way their currency can take hold is if America fails.

I for one, don't think that another reserve currency would be bad for America.

Considering our trade balance, the dollar should have been falling for a long time, which would have helped our exports and discouraged imports.

The United States benefits from the dollar being the reserve currency, both economically and politically.

Economically, we have lower interest rates than we otherwise would because foreign countries must buy our bonds, which lowers interest rates we pay on cars, mortgages, etc.

Politically, it's a lot easier to control the flow funds in our own currency through the banking system. Our enemies hate using the dollar, but they have little choice.

Forum List

Back