Brady/Medusa: American Democracy [Media/McDonald's]

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This year's Super Bowl has everyone talking about how the legendary NFL-QB Tom Brady (winner of a whopping 5 Super Bowls) has become an official 'athlete-media diplomat' of TrumpUSA-media/culture.

In anticipation of Super Bowl Sunday, I decided to compose a special consumerism-consciousness 'mock-discussion' between the iconic Brady and Medusa (fictional underworld demon-deity and siren of hypnosis/obsession) 'TrumpUSA imagination.'

It's interesting to note how the appeal of
US Sports-Camps (USSC), a company devoted to the fostering of athletic talent in America reflects our country's general appreciation of 'coordinated social activity.'

When I think of how symbolic
McDonald's fast-food TV-ads are and the appeal of the McDonald's company themed film The Founder (Michael Keaton), I think about the 'carnival' of democracy itself.

Is America a land of destiny?

brady22.jpg

====

BRADY: Are you a fan of the American sports-culture film Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise)?
MEDUSA: Yes, I like that quaint film; I'm surprised you're curious about my interests!
BRADY: Well, I didn't travel all the way down here to Hades to insult you, Medusa.
MEDUSA: Relax, Mr. Brady; this is a comfortable chat about American sports/medial.
BRADY: So why did you call me down here (I imagine I'm dream-sleeping)?
MEDUSA: Yes; you're fast asleep, Tom (dreaming); you'll awake safe and sound...
BRADY: I'm so excited about Super Bowl LIII.
MEDUSA: Yes, you have to play the L.A. Rams (a rematch from 2001 - SB XXXVI)!
BRADY: Yeah, that was the astounding 20-17 victory in which I came out of shadows.
MEDUSA: You came out of the shadow of Drew Bledsoe; the then 'star' of New England!
BRADY: Since then, I've won 4 more Super Bowls as the Patriots' starting-QB.
MEDUSA: You're the star now, Mr. Brady...
BRADY: So what did you want to chat with me about (specifically)?
MEDUSA: This isn't a drama-call; this is a philosophical/political chat about TrumpUSA.
BRADY: I didn't know you were interested in politics/democracy/capitalism, Medusa...
MEDUSA: Well, I am; I'm sure you understand the contours of sports-marketing.
BRADY: Yes, I've been 'tuned' into the 'world' of American sports-capital/media.
MEDUSA: Fans love sports-gear and boastfully wear Brady-jerseys now...
BRADY: I'm trying to avenge the Patriots' lost in last year's Super Bowl.
MEDUSA: You beat the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX but then lost in LII.
BRADY: Prior to that, I only lost to Eli Manning's Giants in Super Bowls (XLII/XLVI).
MEDUSA: So you lost to Peyton's little brother twice and to Philly once...
BRADY: I want to defeat Goff's Rams this year so they don't avenge their loss to us in 2001!
MEDUSA: Well, I'm no wishmaster; in 2001, you beat Warner's Rams and surpassed Bledsoe.
BRADY: I didn't realize you knew/cared so much about American sports, Medusa!
MEDUSA: Hey, I get great cable-TV down here in Hades, ya know.
BRADY: Sports-culture/marketing in America is all about media-flair and on-field presence.
MEDUSA: You have to 'look the part.'
BRADY: We're not movie-stars, but we are 'diplomats' of the new age 'media matrix.'
MEDUSA: Fans buy pro-athlete jerseys as much as they buy celebrity magazines.
BRADY: Right; we're all 'magazine children' under 'TrumpUSA' (as I guess you know).
MEDUSA: What do you think about celebrity-athletes in McDonald's TV-ads?
BRADY: I don't mind seeing my NFL-peers endorsing McNuggets and McFries.
MEDUSA: Do you have an iPhone?
BRADY: Yes, I do...my wife has one too.
MEDUSA: Are you an advocate of consumerism and playfulness with capitalism?
BRADY: It seems like Apple Computers and American fast-food is rather 'toy-like.'
MEDUSA: It's a 'crayon-culture' in TrumpUSA consumerism, isn't it, Tom?
BRADY: Yes, it is!
MEDUSA: Do you feel like a doll or marionette?
BRADY: Sometimes...I've grown accustomed to it; I keep focused on sports and family.
MEDUSA: Do you think capitalism is conducive for democracy/values in TrumpUSA?
BRADY: There's a bit of 'media-drama' that sometimes feels childish; but I remain steady!
MEDUSA: You stay focused on that proverbial 'beautiful game.'
BRADY: That's right; I guess I'm elated if I see a team-mate (Hogan) in a McFries ad!
MEDUSA: Are NFL superstars like you considered to be 'toys' in American imagination?
BRADY: I think fans (or fanatics) may 'ornament' us as 'media-trinkets' or play-things.
MEDUSA: Is that insulting to you?
BRADY: Why do you ask?
MEDUSA: It seems a bit odd to me that TrumpUSA media/consumerism is about 'frills.'
BRADY: Well, capitalism is a liberty-system, and consumerism caters to daydreams.
MEDUSA: Yet, there are numerous artifacts of consumerism that feel...child-like.
BRADY: Are you referring to People Magazine and comic books?
MEDUSA: Perhaps; would you be thrilled if fans made Tom Brady comic books?
BRADY: I dunno if I qualify as an American 'superhero.'
MEDUSA: C'mon, your fans in New England consider you the greatest QB ever...
BRADY: I'd feel more like an 'idol' if fans/executives were able to use profits for charities.
MEDUSA: In other words, there is no real 'substance' in consumerism without 'charities.'
BRADY: Well, consumerism is 'candy-like' in proportion, but we celebs do care about values!
MEDUSA: What if anti-capitalism terrorists (e.g., ISIS) say, "Consumerism is shallow!"?
BRADY: We American patriots believe capitalism/commerce is of good substance, Medusa.
MEDUSA: I wanted to ask you if you think your NFL celebrity-status makes you a 'teacher.'
BRADY: I trust in my coach (Belichick) and I try to reach out whenever possible/convenient.
MEDUSA: Do you reach out with charity work?
BRADY: When I can or feel inspired (it impresses my wife too!)...
MEDUSA: Travel to Europe; a beggar comes to you asking for money; you gift him?
BRADY: I don't think my wealth/status has changed my 'consciousness' about empathy.
MEDUSA: When journalists note celebrities reaching out, they see 'wealth distribution.'
BRADY: I think when people in positions of power reach out, democracy is praised!
MEDUSA: Why then do anti-capitalism terrorists seem to despise American media?
BRADY: After 9/11, the World Trade Center being destroyed, people were worried about rage.
MEDUSA: Do you think American news-networks are professional (ESPN/CNN)?
BRADY: There're are certainly 'responsible' American journalists (I think)...
MEDUSA: What if you heard in the media, "Brady is a Super Bowl fascist!"?
BRADY: I endure various strange media-commentary; I stand by my team-mates.
MEDUSA: What if you're remembered as a 'Goliath'?
BRADY: As long as I'm remembered as a patriot/athlete first, I don't mind 'labels.'
MEDUSA: Alright then; I'll enter the dreams of Americans and encourage 'Brady-comics.'
BRADY: I suppose I've conceded to you that celebrity prestige means 'harmless vanities.'
MEDUSA: Perhaps your 'TrumpUSA culture' will spawn intriguing forms of 'dialogue.'
BRADY: As long as my wife thinks I'm part of a 'good society,' I'll feel like a 'patriot.'
MEDUSA: It seems you're mature/responsible about your fame/position.
BRADY: Maybe I should've been in the film Jerry Maguire (instead of Drew Bledsoe!).
MEDUSA: Who knows where the winds/tides of commercial media take the imagination?
BRADY: No one...
MEDUSA: Thanks for this illuminating conversation, Tom; you should get some McFries!
BRADY: Maybe I'll grab some before Super Bowl Sunday; wish me luck, Medusa.
MEDUSA: Good luck...'Mr. Destiny.'

====

{Brady & Medusa}

brady21.jpg

Forum List

Back