Boys..... & the Rainbow Party

rtwngAvngr said:
It's called an example. DURRRR! :flameth:

Much like language, trends change with the times. I would not suggest one speak in Victorean style English, nor dress as such. The suggestion is to get your children to consciously choose and realize that the clothes they wear is an important part of what and how they communicate. Those that do not consciously understand this often will choose clothes based solely on their trendiness rather than the conscious choice, with children it will often be, "But so and so wear this too!" and with adults it would often be, "They don't like me because I don't make as much as they!" without regard to the conscious choice of clothing.

Too often people will send messages with the clothes they choose that they do not understand and then blame the reaction of others on "judgement" rather than simply the garbled message they sent. Bringing this to the front of the mind rather than letting the subconscious choose the clothes for you by what you see on others can be a great help in how successful your children will be.

Trends will set some of what people wear, but trends do also allow for the proper messages to be sent if a person consciously effects their choices.

no1tovote4 said:
Much like language, trends change with the times. I would not suggest one speak in Victorean style English, nor dress as such. The suggestion is to get your children to consciously choose and realize that the clothes they wear is an important part of what and how they communicate. Those that do not consciously understand this often will choose clothes based solely on their trendiness rather than the conscious choice, with children it will often be, "But so and so wear this too!" and with adults it would often be, "They don't like me because I don't make as much as they!" without regard to the conscious choice of clothing.

Too often people will send messages with the clothes they choose that they do not understand and then blame the reaction of others on "judgement" rather than simply the garbled message they sent. Bringing this to the front of the mind rather than letting the subconscious choose the clothes for you by what you see on others can be a great help in how successful you children will be.

Trends will set some of what people wear, but trends do also allow for the proper messages to be sent if a person consciously effects their choices.

I'm saying your inner guide of what messages are being sent by which clothes may be outdated.

Take shorts for instance. They don't send a message of sluttiness now, not in most communities, but 100 yrs ago they definitely would've. Is it possible you need to update your rosetta stone of fashion messages?

Me thinketh the parents need to instill this in their mind when they are young.

"Fair Maiden, Thou shallt not leaveth this house dressed as wench."

That will sticketh with them forever, so when they are adults, there will be no need to worry.

rtwngAvngr said:
I'm saying your inner guide of what messages are being sent by which clothes may be outdated.

Take shorts for instance. They don't send a message of sluttiness now, not in most communities, but 100 yrs ago they definitely would've. Is it possible you need to update your rosetta stone of fashion messages?

Once again, you are reading something that isn't there. I have said nothing about shorts or tank tops or even sluttiness in my posts where I am speaking about your communication with others and the fact that consciously choosing the message you send instead of allowing garbled messages to be sent because you choose without the message in mind is a better way than simply donning clothes like this because "Susie wears them".

I simply stated bringing to the forefront the actual choices and the messages you send with them will be a benefit to your children. To have them understand that what they wear is part of their overall communication with the rest of the world can only benefit them.

I believe you are thinking that I am "judging" another from their clothing in those posts somewhere but I am not. I am informing. Much like all language, trends will change with the times, it would also be important for you to understand the messages while attempting to teach your children.

rtwngAvngr said:

no1tovote4 - There is a time and place for everything. Shorts are not slutty. They were once.

Therefore, shorts are OK.

When do you wear shorts? Are they appropriate at a funeral? If I had shorts on and told you I was going to a funeral, would you think I was doing something wrong?

Most would think so. However, what if the person who died lived their life surfing on the beach? And wanted his funeral to be held on the beach and his ashes spread across the ocean.

Then it would be most appropriate.

no1tovote4 said:
Once again, you are reading something that isn't there. I have said nothing about shorts or tank tops or even sluttiness in my posts where I am speaking about your communication with others and the fact that consciously choosing the message you send instead of allowing garbled messages to be sent because you choose without the message in mind is a better way than simply donning clothes like this because "Susie wears them".

I simply stated bringing to the forefront the actual choices and the messages you send with them will be a benefit to your children. To have them understand that what they wear is part of their overall communication with the rest of the world can only benefit them.

I believe you are thinking that I am "judging" another from their clothing in those posts somewhere but I am not. I am informing. Much like all language, trends will change with the times, it would also be important for you to understand the messages while attempting to teach your children.

I'm saying the message you THINK is being sent may not actually be what most people see.

I don't know why your having trouble with the concept of examples. I know you didn't mention shorts or tank tops; I did, AS EXAMPLES.

dense

adj 1: permitting little if any light to pass through because of denseness of matter; "dense smoke"; "heavy fog"; "impenetrable gloom" [syn: heavy, impenetrable] 2: closely crowded together; "a compact shopping center"; "a dense population"; "thick crowds" [syn: compact, thick] 3: hard to pass through because of dense growth; "dense vegetation"; "thick woods" [syn: thick] 4: having high relative density or specific gravity; "dense as lead" 5: slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity; "so dense he never understands anything I say to him"; "never met anyone quite so dim"; "although dull at classical learning, at mathematics he was uncommonly quick"- Thackeray; "dumb officials make some really dumb decisions"; "he was either normally stupid or being deliberately obtuse"; "worked with the slow students" [syn: dim, dull, dumb, obtuse, slow]

EXAMPLE: I'm sure no1tovote4 is intelligent at times about different things, but he sure is dense about this.

rtwngAvngr said:
I'm saying the message you THINK is being sent may not actually be what most people see.

I don't know why your having trouble with the concept of examples. I know you didn't mention shorts or tank tops; I did, AS EXAMPLES.

My point is that there is a message sent and you are attempting to say I am wrong by misapplying examples that I did not give. Learning the messages that can be sent according to the current language would be important, but the basic message is not wrong. It is important to bring those choices forward to the conscious mind and teach that you are responsible for the messages you send, that people's reactions are either conscious or unconscious reaction to that very message.

I have yet to attempt to give by example or otherwise what those messages might be.

Your attempt to negate my message by giving misapplied examples then attributing a misunderstanding to me that doesn't apply to the actual message is a logical fallacy.

Do you agree that the clothing that you wear is a large part of the communication whereby you send messages to others, or disagree? This would address my point. Now had I given examples and attempted to address each piece of clothing out of context then your examples would actually relate to the conversation at hand, instead they attempt to misdirect.

My point is that many can give incorrect messages, for whatever reason, that you would attempt to address specific messages that I have not given is denying the import of the fact that you are responsible for the choices you make in clothing. That if you are sending the wrong message it is because of what you have communicated rather than some misapplied sense of "they shouldn't judge me for that!".

Implied in this message is that, like all other communication, the message changes with time and situation. In the '50s gay simply meant happy, now there are different meanings attributed to the word, this is a change over time, and one would be wise to use the word appropriately within the context of the group, this is a change for the situation. All communication relies on one's ability to understand both to whom you wish to speak and the message you want to impart and it relies on your understanding of the "language" being spoken as well.

no1tovote4 said:
My point is that there is a message sent and you are attempting to say I am wrong by misapplying examples that I did not give.
I'm saying your idea of what messages are being sent may be dated. And the examples were mine. I KNOW you didn't give them. Am I allowed to give examples?
Learning the messages that can be sent according to the current language would be important, but the basic message is not wrong.
I'm saying the basic message could be wrong if you're a prude.
It is important to bring those choices forward to the conscious mind and teach that you are responsible for the messages you send, that people's reactions are either conscious or unconscious reaction to that very message.

I have yet to attempt to give by example or otherwise what those messages might be.

Your attempt to negate my message by giving misapplied examples then attributing a misunderstanding to me that doesn't apply to the actual message is a logical fallacy.

Do you agree that the clothing that you wear is a large part of the communication whereby you send messages to others, or disagree? This would address my point. Now had I given examples and attempted to address each piece of clothing out of context then your examples would actually relate to the conversation at hand, instead they attempt to misdirect.

My point is that many can give incorrect messages, for whatever reason, that you would attempt to address specific messages that I have not given is denying the import of the fact that you are responsible for the choices you make in clothing. That if you are sending the wrong message it is because of what you have communicated rather than some misapplied sense of "they shouldn't judge me for that!".

Implied in this message is that, like all other communication, the message changes with time and situation. In the '50s gay simply meant happy, now there are different meanings attributed to the word, this is a change over time, and one would be wise to use the word appropriately within the context of the group, this is a change for the situation. All communication relies on one's ability to understand both to whom you wish to speak and the message you want to impart and it relies on your understanding of the "language" being spoken as well.

I gave the examples. I'm not misapplying examples or whatever you said. You're getting a bit worked up about this.

no1tovote4 said:
My point is that there is a message sent and you are attempting to say I am wrong by misapplying examples that I did not give. Learning the messages that can be sent according to the current language would be important, but the basic message is not wrong. It is important to bring those choices forward to the conscious mind and teach that you are responsible for the messages you send, that people's reactions are either conscious or unconscious reaction to that very message.

Not if people do not make assumptions before they know the facts.

EXAMPLE ALERT EXAMPLE ALERT EXAMPLE ALERT EXAMPLE ALERT

If I see a guy walking through the mall wearing a pink polo shirt, I shouldn't automatically assume he is gay.

But if he is at Disneyland during GayDay, then I could assume that.

I'm not going to treat him differently either way just because of the pink shirt.

Im sorry, you guys are prudes. There are worse things to be, it's not that big a deal.

I've admitted I may be influenced by a love of boobs. Can anyone else admit they just don't like their men oggling pretty young things?

rtwngAvngr said:
I'm saying your idea of what messages are being sent may be dated. And the examples were mine. I KNOW you didn't give them. Am I allowed to give examples?

And a portion of my point is that this is all part of it and the understanding of what you are saying in your communication is extremely important and this means understanding the current trends would be most helpful when teaching this to your children.

I'm saying the basic message could be wrong if you're a prude.

I gave the examples. I'm not misapplying examples or whatever you said. You're getting a bit worked up about this.

I am not worked up, that would be inferring that I somehow was angry about it. I just want to be clear about the point I am making which is the understanding that what you wear sends messages to others and that we should work to be conscious of this fact, to learn to send the correct messages regardless of what situation in which we may find ourselves.

I think your points might be made to actually stress that learning the current "language" would be a worthy effort when attempting to impart this knowledge to your children and thus strengthen the message that I am trying to impart.

:beer:

Joz said:
Sorry, that's not a good example.

What about a guy who wears bikershorts to the mall, as to show off how amply endowed he is?

I probably wouldn't assume anything - I would be laughing at him too hard.

no1tovote4 said:
And a portion of my point is that this is all part of it and the understanding of what you are saying in your communication is extremely important and this means understanding the current trends would be most helpful when teaching this to your children.

I am not worked up, that would be inferring that I somehow was angry about it. I just want to be clear about the point I am making which is the understanding that what you wear sends messages to others and that we should work to be conscious of this fact, to learn to send the correct messages regardless of what situation in which we may find ourselves.

I think your points might be made to actually stress that learning the current "language" would be a worthy effort when attempting to impart this knowledge to your children and thus strengthen the message that I am trying to impart.

:beer:

Sounds good ! :beer:

rtwngAvngr said:
Im sorry, you guys are prudes. There are worse things to be, it's not that big a deal.

This is where I think you are wrong, you have made some sort of judgement of what I may think is "slutty" from the rather generic statement that your clothes represent a form of communication and conscious choices in clothing empowers one.

I have yet to suggest what message a person should send at all. There are some people that want to send the message that they are on the prowl, why shouldn't they do this consciously?

Forum List

Back