Boys..... & the Rainbow Party

Joz said:
Slutty does not get you better tips. Slutty gets you disrespect. How can I be taken seriously if I look like I'd let any man jump me? First, I'm mostly dealing with men. Then under the inflluence of alcohol. The woman behind the bar can become "just another whore" (unpaid) quite quickly. I've had this problem VERY FEW times. This is not to say that I dress like a house frau. You can most definately tell I'm female.

But I've worked with women who purposely show their lacy bras, tell customers that they aren't wearing underwear, show their boobs for tips. Sure the men like that, but I hear what they say. I'll opt for respect.......anytime.

That would depend entirely on what type of bar you work at, and which clientelle you gather. Many women trade on their sexiness to get larger tips, etc. What they give up is the "being treated seriously" part in order to get more money. We understand such transactions and they are chosen in many ways. Which clothes a woman or man wears would be just one of them, but it is communication regardless. To ignore the message a person sends with how they dress is ignoring a large portion of the communication we use in our society.

I will be sure to inform my daughters how their clothes say things, and make sure their clothing supports the message that they are trying to get across. Much like body language, this form of communication is important. Imagine dressing incorrectly while going to an interview and expecting them to not judge your mode of dress, you are unlikely to be successful getting the job you are trying for.

GotZoom said:
I promise you that if I wore red one day, there isn't a single Crip in the world who would think that I am a Blood.

Well assuming they judged you by your clothes and thought you were. Pimp out it out a little and carry a glock, wear a bandana and some ice or something.

Oh, and I thought this was pretty funny. Judging by appearance is wrong and never happens, correct rtwngAvngr? :rolleyes: :D

rtwngAvngr said:
Icontrolthepast, where did you get that "Drunken Beer Hall Nazi" avatar?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showpost.php?p=277597&postcount=52

Joz said:
That people do not get raped because of what they wear.

(Except Ted Bundy chose one of his [escaped] victims because she had on red shoes).

I don't know that. It seems to be the premise here that they do.

Joz said:
Explain to me why you think this.

I went back to the beginning & read this thread. No where has anyone said that another deserves or should be or should expect to be raped or physically harmed...for any reason, let alone for the way they dress.

And whether you want to admit it or not, right or wrong, people are judged by appearance.

Some people chose (or don't chose) a mate because what they think others will think about their choice. You know, too fat, too tatooed, too pierced, too rough around the edges.

Peep.

Maybe noone said they deserve it. But it has been said they shouldn't be suprised. and It has been said they should expect poor treatment.

You guys are old coots. The styles today are more revealing and the inferences and judgements you guys make are not made by all. Get unsquare.

Joz said:
No one said they should expect anything. Just not to be surprised if it happened.
Big difference.
Don't you take a smart-ass attitude with me, young man!
Sorry.
Styles are more revealing. I like to see a young girl in low slung jeans and a halter. I don't want to see her thong.
I like to see a young lady in a short skirt and thigh-high stockings but I dont want to see her ass. A woman can be dressed sexily and still be covered.
Get YOUR head out of your ass and do a little growing up.

I guess that makes you the fashion police then.
:funnyface

w5.jpg

rtwngAvngr said:

I suppose that if this person was dressed this way at an Al Qaeda membership meeting, he/she would be out of place.

But just by looking at the person, the only assumption I would have is that he/she is patriotic.

Seeing someone stand somewhere dressed in a certain way is one thing. Everyone has expectations of what is proper in the particular circumstance.

Just like wearing a bathing suit into a hospital would not be appropritate.

But that would not make me think that person is a slut, or mental, or...

I see someone dressed "sluttily" - I don't immediate think she is a slut. I might think that what she is wearing is inappropriate for where she is, but to automatically assume I know certain things about her, is not correct.

rtwngAvngr said:

just out of frame ....the piece of paper is on fire and.... he....yes he, look at the hands .... is about to light the flag on fire ......

*sniper take the shot*

manu1959 said:
just out of frame ....the piece of paper is on fire and.... he....yes he, look at the hands .... is about to light the flag on fire ......

*sniper take the shot*
Then I didn't see the person - was not given the correct information to make a judgment.

Now....lighting the flag...no reason to make an assumption based on clothing/appearance.

Let me pull the trigger

GotZoom said:
I suppose that if this person was dressed this way at an Al Qaeda membership meeting, he/she would be out of place.

But just by looking at the person, the only assumption I would have is that he/she is patriotic.

Seeing someone stand somewhere dressed in a certain way is one thing. Everyone has expectations of what is proper in the particular circumstance.

Just like wearing a bathing suit into a hospital would not be appropritate.

But that would not make me think that person is a slut, or mental, or...

I see someone dressed "sluttily" - I don't immediate think she is a slut. I might think that what she is wearing is inappropriate for where she is, but to automatically assume I know certain things about her, is not correct.

My point is that the clothes you wear are a large part of the communication that we use to get by in society daily and to ignore that as part of the message you are transmitting to others is simply shortsighted.

As I said before, I will teach this to my children and will insure that they know what they are telling people "about" themselves. The information may often be garbled because many do not understand that this too, just like body language, is part of their communication with others. Those who realize this, and understand the messages, can insure that the message they send with their clothing is one that they actually want rather than letting trends set the message they can control their own communication.

no1tovote4 said:
My point is that the clothes you wear are a large part of the communication that we use to get by in society daily and to ignore that as part of the message you are transmitting to others is simply shortsighted.

As I said before, I will teach this to my children and will insure that they know what they are telling people "about" themselves. The information may often be garbled because many do not understand that this too, just like body language, is part of their communication with others. Those who realize this, and understand the messages, can insure that the message they send with their clothing is one that they actually want rather than letting trends set the message they can control their own communication.

Be sure to include EVERY way they act. How they speak, eat, walk, drink, drive, respect people, work ethic, school study ethic - ALL these things give people the opportunity, wrong or not, to pass judgement before they find out what that person is really like.

GotZoom said:
Be sure to include EVERY way they act. How they speak, eat, walk, drink, drive, respect people, work ethic, school study ethic - ALL these things give people the opportunity, wrong or not, to pass judgement before they find out what that person is really like.

And that is only a small part of the responsibility of the parent. It isn't judgement that one should worry about so much rather than the fact of choices and their ability to effect your life. Teaching how choices in even the smallest things effect their lives empowers your children and gives them more of a chance to reflect their actual self in their communication. Bringing up such topics can only help your children in the future, rather than learning most of them by trial and error and subconsciously sending an incorrect message.

no1tovote4 said:

The trend must be factored in though. Wearing a tank top in the victorian era sends a much stronger message than it would now. I posit that you're behind the times.

rtwngAvngr said:
The trend must be factored in though. Wearing a tank top in the victorian era sends a much stronger message than it would now. I posit that you're behind the times.

I posit that you have read too much into what I posted. I said nothing of tank tops.

Forum List

Back