Bowling

leftwinger

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2015
driving
PBA match play has been on TV FOX Sports for a month or so. They are down to the final 2. Very nice. Love bowling. I don't go but I like it. Like doing the score in my head.

All games have been from Portland Maine with a rowdy crowd chanting cheering and drinking. I watch and wonder, who is OldLady or Care or is their old men in there drunk? or which one is Bodecca as there are some of those allegedly?

Very cool when they pack a bowling center and shrink it down to two lanes with lots of cameras!

Bill Oneill vs. Kris Prather, the survivors.

giphy.gif

Loved bowling when younger. First job outside the entertainment industry was at a bowling center.

Used to freak them out by bowling 280s with a ten-pound kids ball. I dressed the lanes. :auiqs.jpg:

Prather picked up a 5 pin split!! in the 10th to save his rear end and win 226-215.

Blues up in NHL 2-1 3rd period on at same time.

Last edited:
One of my bestest friends in life was an avid Bowler... I could bowl a couple of games and then I would get really bored... I believe it was because I sucked at it... :dunno: I would watch awhile then go to the Lounge or shoot some nine ball... Spent a few hours in a bowling alley...

Life is good...

One of my bestest friends in life was an avid Bowler... I could bowl a couple of games and then I would get really bored... I believe it was because I sucked at it... :dunno: I would watch awhile then go to the Lounge or shoot some nine ball... Spent a few hours in a bowling alley...

Life is good...

Yah, had pool and foosball. And beer. Killed a lot of time.

Life is good...

You weren't betting enough money.

At that particular time in my life, I didn't have any money to speak of... But a good time was had by one and all... :04:

I started bowling when the alley opened in our area, I was 13. I improved quickly plus the managers of the house would let me shadow bowl for hours on end. One of the managers worked coaching me until I was averaging above 180 and then another guy named Carl started working with me. My average went up to near 200 by the time I was 17, Teams on the men's scratch leagues were paying for my bowling and giving me an equal share of the winnings at the end of the league. I was bowling on a scratch men's traveling league that was on Sunday afternoon at a different house each week. Best of the best in Miami. After league play, pot games started in the afternoon. All the leagues had pot games going on at the same time. I won far more than I ever lost plus there were tournaments which paid quite well. It paid for my last two years at the University of Miami but some guys didn't take kindly to losing a lot of money to a kid. I loved it but it got to be a business. Six or seven days a week.

PBA match play has been on TV FOX Sports for a month or so. They are down to the final 2. Very nice. Love bowling. I don't go but I like it. Like doing the score in my head.

All games have been from Portland Maine with a rowdy crowd chanting cheering and drinking. I watch and wonder, who is OldLady or Care or is their old men in there drunk? or which one is Bodecca as there are some of those allegedly?

Very cool when they pack a bowling center and shrink it down to two lanes with lots of cameras!

Bill Oneill vs. Kris Prather, the survivors.

i havent bowled in years and now i wanna go bowling

One good thing about bowling is that you can always find a league that is compatible with your skill level and level of interest. People get pissed off and quit when they get bowling with people who are either much more or much less "competitive' than they are.

As with all amateur sports, you shouldn't take it seriously unless you are willing to do what is necessary to achieve your potential. And repetition of doing the same thing over and over is not it.

I think they could market it better. Nobody know how much it costs. You got to wear dirty rented shoes? Alley balls are just random placed and my thumb never fit any but the big Black chipped ones. I did not thiink to leave the thumb out or two-hand it like the new trend. And I could not make it hook.

At that particular time in my life, I didn't have any money to speak of... But a good time was had by one and all... :04:

I started bowling when the alley opened in our area, I was 13. I improved quickly plus the managers of the house would let me shadow bowl for hours on end. One of the managers worked coaching me until I was averaging above 180 and then another guy named Carl started working with me. My average went up to near 200 by the time I was 17, Teams on the men's scratch leagues were paying for my bowling and giving me an equal share of the winnings at the end of the league. I was bowling on a scratch men's traveling league that was on Sunday afternoon at a different house each week. Best of the best in Miami. After league play, pot games started in the afternoon. All the leagues had pot games going on at the same time. I won far more than I ever lost plus there were tournaments which paid quite well. It paid for my last two years at the University of Miami but some guys didn't take kindly to losing a lot of money to a kid. I loved it but it got to be a business. Six or seven days a week.

Didn't you ever get bored being that good? The last time I bowled I hit a lucky streak 4 strikes in a row, went to the bar and never bowled since, same thing with softball hit a grand slam and never played since.

One good thing about bowling is that you can always find a league that is compatible with your skill level and level of interest. People get pissed off and quit when they get bowling with people who are either much more or much less "competitive' than they are.

As with all amateur sports, you shouldn't take it seriously unless you are willing to do what is necessary to achieve your potential. And repetition of doing the same thing over and over is not it.

Mixed leagues are far less competitive if you're a man. Men's leagues, even handicap leagues get very competitive. Although some men can get carried away in mixed leagues too. When we moved here from Miami, I quit men's leagues and only bowled in mixed. Even there, there were always a couple of guys who wanted to challenge me. Some are just poor sports. I guess that's true in any sport.

I think they could market it better. Nobody know how much it costs. You got to wear dirty rented shoes? Alley balls are just random placed and my thumb never fit any but the big Black chipped ones. I did not thiink to leave the thumb out or two-hand it like the new trend. And I could not make it hook.

I've had my own equipment for more than 50 years but I know what you mean. I put so many "miles" on the left "slide" shoe that I had to have it re-soled several times.

Before working on a hook, you need to get your approach and release first. A coach could work with you for a couple of hours and make a world of difference. Don't even think about leaving your thumb out or a two-handed approach. Control is much, much more important. If you enjoy it, your own equipment is not that expensive and will make a world of difference in your game.

Being really consistent is more important than having a really great game and then three or four open frames in the other two. It also disheartens your opponent when they "know" you are not going to miss a spare. The strikes will come.

Didn't you ever get bored being that good? The last time I bowled I hit a lucky streak 4 strikes in a row, went to the bar and never bowled since, same thing with softball hit a grand slam and never played since.

It's an adrenalin rush. Knowing you can crank it up if you want. Plus, I was competing with other bowlers as good as me or better. You always want to beat the best.

I was bowling in a mixed league over at Seminole Bowl here in Tallahassee. It was a 24 team mixed league, the last night was position night. The team in first place plays against the team in second place and so forth. One of the guys on the other team was a real a**h***. He HAD to win or he went nuts. I practiced on the lanes we were scheduled to use a couple of times in the days before league competition. I was there waiting for the league to start and he came over and sat with me, trying to psych me out. "These two lanes are really different, it's going to be tough tonight".

In order to win first place in the league, we had to win two games plus total pins. The list for who was attending the awards banquet was going down the lanes. You signed up and paid for your dinner. We started to play and everyone on our team were bowling average. Starting in the fourth frame, I rolled 17 strikes in a row over the end of that game and the start of the next. People stopped bowling on the other lanes to watch. That put us so far out in front, they had no chance of winning first place in the league. Ed, the hothead, was so angry that he went down the lanes, found the sign-up sheet and took his and his wife's name off the list. It was fun.

Forum List

Back