Bowling

Bowled in a league a few years ago.
Best player had a 227 average and rolled with both hands creating a devastating curve ball that would strike virtually every roll. Got a few 300 games.
Tried it once and hit head pin but my back didn't like the delivery.

Best game ever was a 268 for me.

Most bowlers are completely ignorant about the game, even though most of the major points could be summarized in a small pamphlet. It is truly a pity seeing people doing the same wrong things over and over, year after year, and always more or less pissed off that they are not getting any better. Teaching Pro's are very scarce where I live, and taking advice from "the guy behind the counter," even if s/he is a good bowler, is a little bit risky. Still, any woman can average 150 and any man can average 180 with just a little bit of knowledge.

Bowling is not suited to being a personal spectator sport. You see much more of it on television than you can see in person, unless you are lucky enough to be right behind the bowlers, with room to move. This explains - at least partly - why the championship purses are so lame compared to other sports.

Didn't you ever get bored being that good? The last time I bowled I hit a lucky streak 4 strikes in a row, went to the bar and never bowled since, same thing with softball hit a grand slam and never played since.

It's an adrenalin rush. Knowing you can crank it up if you want. Plus, I was competing with other bowlers as good as me or better. You always want to beat the best.

I was bowling in a mixed league over at Seminole Bowl here in Tallahassee. It was a 24 team mixed league, the last night was position night. The team in first place plays against the team in second place and so forth. One of the guys on the other team was a real a**h***. He HAD to win or he went nuts. I practiced on the lanes we were scheduled to use a couple of times in the days before league competition. I was there waiting for the league to start and he came over and sat with me, trying to psych me out. "These two lanes are really different, it's going to be tough tonight".

In order to win first place in the league, we had to win two games plus total pins. The list for who was attending the awards banquet was going down the lanes. You signed up and paid for your dinner. We started to play and everyone on our team were bowling average. Starting in the fourth frame, I rolled 17 strikes in a row over the end of that game and the start of the next. People stopped bowling on the other lanes to watch. That put us so far out in front, they had no chance of winning first place in the league. Ed, the hothead, was so angry that he went down the lanes, found the sign-up sheet and took his and his wife's name off the list. It was fun.

My mistake, I just did what I always bitch about other people doing, thinking we are all the same....

I love the chase, when I get to the top I can't stand maintaining it, people like you, MJ does and see how better you can become at something.

Forum List

Back