Bought a DRONE...

Looks sweet! The only concern I have with that design is the exposed blades.
It has blade protectors. I just didn't put them on. I'm going to attempt to not fly it into anything... :eusa_shifty:
Ooooookaaaayyyy :rolleyes:
Ya... I hear that... but, I'm going to find a nice big open place for it's maiden flight. I'm out in little Podunk, WI so that won't be a problem.
I have lots of in laws in Belgium WI population ~3000. Ever heard of it?
It has blade protectors. I just didn't put them on. I'm going to attempt to not fly it into anything... :eusa_shifty:
Ya... I hear that... but, I'm going to find a nice big open place for it's maiden flight. I'm out in little Podunk, WI so that won't be a problem.
Lot's of space and little Podunks out there for sure. I have relatives in the Cedarburg area.
Haven't heard of Belgium, WI, but have heard of Cedarburg.

I love Wisconsin. It's very pretty. Lots of lakes and rivers and forest, lots of open space and land for people to enjoy, not a really populated state. People hate our winters up here, they can be cold, keeps most people out. More space for us that don't mind, and the cost of living here is really cheap. You can buy a pretty nice house in any podunk town here for pennies on the dollar compared to other states.

I live in SW Wisconsin, right on the Wisconsin River. Awesome little town, not a stop light in sight, population about 1,400. Good people here, clean, quite little town that's kinda upscale. Got friends that own lots of land. I have the opportunity to do just about anything, shoot our guns, hunt, fish, whatever, all on private property.

Last edited:
I had a real cheap POS a few years ago but did have some fun with it, even though it had a mind of it's own and was really hard to control. It would wander around on it's own even though you weren't moving the controls. Yeah a $20 cheapie, but it was fun. It was a gift and it gave me the bug.

So the other day Amazon was having it's PRIME DAY DEALS and lo and behold a drone popped up. So I did some checking and read reviews and watched a couple youtube vids on it found it to be a pretty decent little drone for not a lot of money, so I popped on it. It came yesterday and I got it all assembled, batteries charged, got it registered for 3 years, $5, and ready to go, but can't catch a break here in WI. Weather has just sucked, wind, rain... whatever.

But check it out... first chance I get, the drone flies... going to take video and picture of my property for a test. It takes 1080p video...

20190717-115008.jpg

20190717-114937.jpg

Anybody else have a drone?
Drones are the shit. You lose them, they come back to you. I've been dabbling in beginner electric remote control planes for a while now. A bit challenging and if you lose it your not out too much cash. Fun but I should probably just buy a drone.
This one flies back to you if you lose control of it using GPS. That's just too cool. Even if the battery level gets low and you're not paying attention, it flies back, and lands itself.
Yes, that's why they are the shit. My little electric glider planes are hilarious though. One of them I got too high up and prevailing winds took it across the lake and to who knows where. The third one I still have I had to climb a large pine tree I clipped while trying to land it. Always an adventure, I'm getting to old for this though lol. Need to get a drone, mostly for ease of not needing a large open area for landing.

Lot's of space and little Podunks out there for sure. I have relatives in the Cedarburg area.

I love Wisconsin. It's very pretty. Lots of lakes and rivers and forest, lots of open space and land for people to enjoy, not a really populated state. People hate our winters up here, they can be cold, keeps most people out. More space for us that don't mind, and the cost of living here is really cheap. You can buy a pretty nice house in any podunk town here for pennies on the dollar compared to other states.

I live in SW Wisconsin, right on the Wisconsin River. Awesome little town, not a stop light in sight, population about 1,400. Good people here, clean, quite little town that's kinda upscale. Got friends that own lots of land. I have the opportunity to do just about anything, shoot our guns, hunt, fish, whatever, all on private property.
I really enjoy our summer visits to Wisconsin. They are right by Lake Michigan, lots of farm land and very small towns like yours. It is very much country living. Totally different from Arizona. My relatives seem to have their land and cabins in the Northern part of the state. I guess it isn't cold enough where they are lol. We haven't been back during the winter for years.

Size matters. Here is my drone.

Yes it flies. But when it flies it sounds like a very pissed off bumble bee. And can do flips in any direction just like a big one. It charges off of a USB port of a computer.

But to be honest with you, OP, I'm more impressed with that Yamaha amp you have it sitting on.

Attachments

• 20190718_232435.jpg
    20190718_232435.jpg
    1,015 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I had a real cheap POS a few years ago but did have some fun with it, even though it had a mind of it's own and was really hard to control. It would wander around on it's own even though you weren't moving the controls. Yeah a $20 cheapie, but it was fun. It was a gift and it gave me the bug.

So the other day Amazon was having it's PRIME DAY DEALS and lo and behold a drone popped up. So I did some checking and read reviews and watched a couple youtube vids on it found it to be a pretty decent little drone for not a lot of money, so I popped on it. It came yesterday and I got it all assembled, batteries charged, got it registered for 3 years, $5, and ready to go, but can't catch a break here in WI. Weather has just sucked, wind, rain... whatever.

But check it out... first chance I get, the drone flies... going to take video and picture of my property for a test. It takes 1080p video...

20190717-115008.jpg

20190717-114937.jpg

I think I'll design tiny guided missiles to shoot down drones....... That aught to be fun....... :D

I really enjoy our summer visits to Wisconsin. They are right by Lake Michigan, lots of farm land and very small towns like yours. It is very much country living. Totally different from Arizona. My relatives seem to have their land and cabins in the Northern part of the state. I guess it isn't cold enough where they are lol. We haven't been back during the winter for years.
Yeah I lived in Phoenix... Apache Junction... then moved up to Deer Valley to go to school. My parents lived in A.J. at the time too, and my son moved there for awhile while I was there also. Too hot for me.

Upstate Wisconsin is really nice, and there's plenty of land for cheap. I've thought of buying myself a cabin up north on a lake myself, just for a change of scenery from where I'm at here. Get a canoe and fish, do some hunting, relax, see if I can find BIGFOOT... LOL.

Size matters. Here is my drone.

Yes it flies. But when it flies it sounds like a very pissed off bumble bee. And can do flips in any direction just like a big one. It charges off of a USB port of a computer.

But to be honest with you, OP, I'm more impressed with that Yamaha amp you have it sitting on.
Yeah the new drone charges off a USB cable as well, but best to use the 5V plugin for an outlet for the USB cable.

That Yamaha is a SWEET HEART. I'm an audiophile and have owned LOTS of different sound gear, but never before a Yamaha. What inspired me to buy that was it being a separate first of all, and it having built in DAC's second. The sound is stellar, pure, clean, powerful, punchy, can't say enough good things about it. Would recommend it to anyone that wants a 2 channel integrated stereo amp...

20190108-140924.jpg

But this is it's big brother. I've thought about upgrading but this one doesn't have built in DAC's, so I'd have to buy a decent digital streaming device, and the good ones aren't cheap so the investment would be pretty good sized...

A-S3000.jpg

Last edited:

20190717-115008.jpg

20190717-114937.jpg

I think I'll design tiny guided missiles to shoot down drones....... That aught to be fun....... :D
Not to mention highly illegal and would land you in prison.

Yeah I lived in Phoenix... Apache Junction... then moved up to Deer Valley to go to school. My parents lived in A.J. at the time too, and my son moved there for awhile while I was there also. Too hot for me.

Upstate Wisconsin is really nice, and there's plenty of land for cheap. I've thought of buying myself a cabin up north on a lake myself, just for a change of scenery from where I'm at here. Get a canoe and fish, do some hunting, relax, see if I can find BIGFOOT... LOL.
Yes even us Tucsonans think Phoenix is too hot!

I have a few friends with drones, including one who has a side business doing aerial photography and occasional movie work.

Just make sure you don't run afoul of the FAA. Stay out of restricted air space and below 400 feet. Some kid down here was buzzing Hartsfield Airport air space. They had no sense of humor.

20190717-115008.jpg

20190717-114937.jpg

Not to mention highly illegal and would land you in prison.
Yup, unless I'm a federal government official....... Then if a drone is considered a "credible threat" it can be shot down.......... New law that was passed last year.

I have a few friends with drones, including one who has a side business doing aerial photography and occasional movie work.

Just make sure you don't run afoul of the FAA. Stay out of restricted air space and below 400 feet. Some kid down here was buzzing Hartsfield Airport air space. They had no sense of humor.
Yeah, we've had people doing stupid things with drones. The FCC requires all drones be registered and labeled with the registration number but the registration number on a recreational drone is too small to be seen so they should require transponders that can be picked up with an app on a cell phone. That way when someone is doing something stupid the number can be read and the operator reported.

Yeah, we've had people doing stupid things with drones. The FCC requires all drones be registered and labeled with the registration number but the registration number on a recreational drone is too small to be seen so they should require transponders that can be picked up with an app on a cell phone. That way when someone is doing something stupid the number can be read and the operator reported.
Word... had to register mine. Simple enough to do online, costs $5 and is good for 3 years. Wrote my registration # on the drone in two places with a silver Sharpie and my paperwork is in my wallet. I printed out the list of things to avoid, it's not that long, just common sense stuff. Since I live in a very small town and I'm surrounded by mostly farms and DNR public land, there really isn't many places I could get in trouble flying it anyway.

Seeing as the hot, nasty weather has moved on after the bad storms yesterday, we have a stretch of nice weather coming starting today. Probably going to give the drone it's maiden flight today. I've got an acre and a quarter of my own land so I'll just cruise it around here for starters.

Forum List

Back