Bought a DRONE...

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I had a real cheap POS a few years ago but did have some fun with it, even though it had a mind of it's own and was really hard to control. It would wander around on it's own even though you weren't moving the controls. Yeah a $20 cheapie, but it was fun. It was a gift and it gave me the bug.

So the other day Amazon was having it's PRIME DAY DEALS and lo and behold a drone popped up. So I did some checking and read reviews and watched a couple youtube vids on it found it to be a pretty decent little drone for not a lot of money, so I popped on it. It came yesterday and I got it all assembled, batteries charged, got it registered for 3 years, $5, and ready to go, but can't catch a break here in WI. Weather has just sucked, wind, rain... whatever.

But check it out... first chance I get, the drone flies... going to take video and picture of my property for a test. It takes 1080p video...

20190717-115008.jpg

20190717-114937.jpg

Anybody else have a drone?

Nice Yamaha amp. I had a similar one years ago.
Oh I'm here to tell ya, that Yamaha Natural Sound Integrated Amplifier is awesome. I bought that model because it's the only one in Yamaha's integrated amp line up that has built in DAC's, so I have it hooked up to the computer via Audioquest USB A to B cable to bypass the computers crappy onboard sound, and it sounds absolutely STUNNING. I run a pair of Bowers & Wilkins DM-604 S3's with 10 gauge speaker cable. I've had Spotify Premium for a few years now and they just keep uping their game. Their streaming quality has increased, not to mention I believe they have the largest music library of any streaming forum, and it's feature rich. They have a free option but it's full of commercials and you can't stream in high def.

My beard looks just about like your's. Just a little bit longer.

I had a real cheap POS a few years ago but did have some fun with it, even though it had a mind of it's own and was really hard to control. It would wander around on it's own even though you weren't moving the controls. Yeah a $20 cheapie, but it was fun. It was a gift and it gave me the bug.

So the other day Amazon was having it's PRIME DAY DEALS and lo and behold a drone popped up. So I did some checking and read reviews and watched a couple youtube vids on it found it to be a pretty decent little drone for not a lot of money, so I popped on it. It came yesterday and I got it all assembled, batteries charged, got it registered for 3 years, $5, and ready to go, but can't catch a break here in WI. Weather has just sucked, wind, rain... whatever.

But check it out... first chance I get, the drone flies... going to take video and picture of my property for a test. It takes 1080p video...

20190717-115008.jpg

20190717-114937.jpg

Thinking about getting one for aerial vids.

(Billy envisions a phalanx of drones with an aerosol spray mounted and loaded with Liquid ASS flying over some Commie protest ...) :auiqs.jpg:

Liquid ASS is an overwhelming, stinky, funny prank product.

20190717-115008.jpg

20190717-114937.jpg

Thinking about getting one for aerial vids.

(Billy envisions a phalanx of drones with an aerosol spray mounted and loaded with Liquid ASS flying over some Commie protest ...) :auiqs.jpg:

Liquid ASS is an overwhelming, stinky, funny prank product.
The thing is with this one, the camera isn't mounted on a true gimbal, so if the drone is moving around, the video is going to move too. Apparently is has some video stability, but it's not great. But if it's a calm day and wind isn't going nuts, if the drone flies nice, you'll get some pretty good vid. There's a mount for your smart phone that pulls out of the top of the controller. I watched some video people took with it on youtube and it's not bad. The wifi for live video feed to your phone works to about 500', that's not bad, but you can control it up to about a 1/3 of a mile away. It would have to be line of sight then though. But if you have the GPS engaged, if it flies out of contact with the controller, it will automatically fly itself back and reestablish link to the controller. It also has "follow me" and other cool stuff. Pretty nice little drone for $140 on sale. Usually about $240.

So if anyone else has a drone, chime in, I'd like to hear about your experiences with your's.

Nice Yamaha amp. I had a similar one years ago.
Oh I'm here to tell ya, that Yamaha Natural Sound Integrated Amplifier is awesome. I bought that model because it's the only one in Yamaha's integrated amp line up that has built in DAC's, so I have it hooked up to the computer via Audioquest USB A to B cable to bypass the computers crappy onboard sound, and it sounds absolutely STUNNING. I run a pair of Bowers & Wilkins DM-604 S3's with 10 gauge speaker cable. I've had Spotify Premium for a few years now and they just keep uping their game. Their streaming quality has increased, not to mention I believe they have the largest music library of any streaming forum, and it's feature rich. They have a free option but it's full of commercials and you can't stream in high def.

My beard looks just about like your's. Just a little bit longer.

I ran mine through a pair of Bose 601 speakers and it sounded amazing. My stereo predated needing computer stuff. I had mine from 1981 until '91 or '92. Never should have sold it.

Interesting....if I may.....what are you going to use it for, the drone? OP?

20190717-115008.jpg

20190717-114937.jpg

Drones are the shit. You lose them, they come back to you. I've been dabbling in beginner electric remote control planes for a while now. A bit challenging and if you lose it your not out too much cash. Fun but I should probably just buy a drone.

Looks sweet! The only concern I have with that design is the exposed blades.
It has blade protectors. I just didn't put them on. I'm going to attempt to not fly it into anything... :eusa_shifty:
Ooooookaaaayyyy :rolleyes:
Ya... I hear that... but, I'm going to find a nice big open place for it's maiden flight. I'm out in little Podunk, WI so that won't be a problem.
I have lots of in laws in Belgium WI population ~3000. Ever heard of it?
Looks sweet! The only concern I have with that design is the exposed blades.
It has blade protectors. I just didn't put them on. I'm going to attempt to not fly it into anything... :eusa_shifty:
Ooooookaaaayyyy :rolleyes:
Ya... I hear that... but, I'm going to find a nice big open place for it's maiden flight. I'm out in little Podunk, WI so that won't be a problem.
Lot's of space and little Podunks out there for sure. I have relatives in the Cedarburg area.

Interesting....if I may.....what are you going to use it for, the drone? OP?
Right now, skye, just for fun. First thing I want to do is fly it over my property and get an aerial picture of it. But other than that, I can think of a few places around that I'd love to see from the sky. Wisconsin has more effigies than anywhere else on earth... Effigy Mounds of Southern Wisconsin | Travel Wisconsin

Other than that, I think as I fly it, I'll find more places that would be fun to see from the sky, not to mention practical purposes I may find.

Last edited:

20190717-115008.jpg

20190717-114937.jpg

Drones are the shit. You lose them, they come back to you. I've been dabbling in beginner electric remote control planes for a while now. A bit challenging and if you lose it your not out too much cash. Fun but I should probably just buy a drone.
This one flies back to you if you lose control of it using GPS. That's just too cool. Even if the battery level gets low and you're not paying attention, it flies back, and lands itself.

Forum List

Back