Both Parties Promise No Cuts to SS--Both Sides are Talking About Cutting SS.

Average Life Expectancy is the wrong metric. In 1935 ALE was dragged down by much higher infant/child mortality rates lowering the average. (It's a math thing.)

The much better metric is to look at average number of months that benefits are received. So while ALE has increased by close to 20 years, average months of benefits has only increased (on average) by about 3.5-4 years.

WW
Fair enough. If months of benefits increased 3.5 - 4 years, then there should be no issue increasing the retirement age by 3 years.

Fair enough. If months of benefits increased 3.5 - 4 years, then there should be no issue increasing the retirement age by 3 years.

Seniors, as a demographic have the highest percentage of actively voting in elections.

Say the plan is to increase retirement age, good luck explaining to those 50 and older that you are going to cut their benefits and by making the work longer so they can die with no benefits or have fewer years to retire in.

WW

I wish Bernie sanders would have won the primary back in 2020! He wants to raise the pay out big time and make it work for the long term.

Seniors, as a demographic have the highest percentage of actively voting in elections.

Say the plan is to increase retirement age, good luck explaining to those 50 and older that you are going to cut their benefits and by making the work longer so they can die with no benefits or have fewer years to retire in.

WW
When I started working the retirement age was 65.

I think the retirement age should be lowered to 60. You should be given enough to afford housing, food and play.

WW
Tough times call for tough decisions.
And frankly, if they had told me at age 50 that I would have to work until 70 instead of 67 but that was the only way to make sure it stays solvent, I would have said fine.

Tough times call for tough decisions.
And frankly, if they had told me at age 50 that I would have to work until 70 instead of 67 but that was the only way to make sure it stays solvent, I would have said fine.
Sadly though, the real question is asked of our Congress Critters--"Will you make the tough..and correct call for reforming SS even though you know that it will be the ending of your political career?"

I think we all know the answer to that one, right?

Thus, the can will be kicked yet again...and....again...and....again--until it all comes crashing down, on someone else's watch~

No one wants to "CUT" Social Security... they want to make sure its sustainable.... people are living longer and working longer... we deserve a better retirement plan in America for future generations... a plan that really does allow for retirement... a comfortable retirement... too bad Pelosi and Reid blocked Bush's plan... if they hadn't seniors today would not have to work at all....

Last edited:
Making people work until 70 is basically robbing them of a good life.
The inflation rate and an antiquated non working US Social Security plan does that... and its sad to watch that happen in the USA....
We deserve a better retirement plan... one that works and is linked to the stock market.... no American in retirement should have to take a part time job just to put food on the table....

Forum List

Back