Bootneck

The Royal Marines are one of the cutting edge groups within the British Army, they have very tough requirements to join them, only joining the Para is harder.

Their's is not to question why.

Their's is just to do or die.

best of British squaddie.

I'm going with the SAS as the hardest bunch to join followed closely by the SBS and then the Para's. All tough outfits to be pulling your load in though.......
you cannot enter either the SAS or SBS if you are not serving in the regular army.

I used to love a nice yomp up Pen-y-Fan when younger.

Ps the guys that scared me and most people were the Ghurka's, 3 together blades drawn:eek:

The Royal Marines are one of the cutting edge groups within the British Army, they have very tough requirements to join them, only joining the Para is harder.

:oops: Oh shit, Zeebub! Bootneck is really going to be pissed with you! Never ever refer to a Royal Marine as a member of the Army. They are Royal Navy. You'll have him blathering on about Pongoes now!

You also raise another issue guaranteed to get his blood up...the Paras! Actually, as an ex-Para myself, I have to begrudgingly admit that gaining entry into the RMs is slightly more difficult than getting into the Paras. Our PARA CIC and P Coy training, which has to be passed before becoming a Para, was 28 weeks. RMs have to go through another month of torture as their course is 32 weeks!
yes but that 4 weeks is learning the sailors hornpipe:eek:

I'm going with the SAS as the hardest bunch to join followed closely by the SBS and then the Para's. All tough outfits to be pulling your load in though.......
you cannot enter either the SAS or SBS if you are not serving in the regular army.

Erm, SBS is Royal Navy, not regular Army:

SPECIAL BOAT SERVICE (SBS)

This organisation is the Naval equivalent of the Army's SAS (Special Air Service). Personnel are all volunteers from the mainstream Royal Marines and vacancies are few with competition for entry fierce.

Royal Navy - The Royal Marines - Summary - Locations - Special Boat Service (SBS) - Comacchio Group Fleet Protection Group Royal Marines (FPGRM) - n7a1 - Armed Forces)

Hey guys! Please don't demean the thread with bickering. It's not the place for it.

From what little I know of Boot. I know he would appreciate this, I know that I appreciate the service and sacrifices of all who fight for freedom.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZxRXItXAdw[/ame]

May peace and protection be his shadow now and always

I am not sure who said this but

"Those who have not known war will never understand the true definition of peace" ~unknown~

My sincere Prayers for your safe return Bootneck :eusa_pray:

Erm, SBS is Royal Navy, not regular Army:

SPECIAL BOAT SERVICE (SBS)

This organisation is the Naval equivalent of the Army's SAS (Special Air Service). Personnel are all volunteers from the mainstream Royal Marines and vacancies are few with competition for entry fierce.

Royal Navy - The Royal Marines - Summary - Locations - Special Boat Service (SBS) - Comacchio Group Fleet Protection Group Royal Marines (FPGRM) - n7a1 - Armed Forces)
sorry my bad, its about 42yrs since I served, I have spent those yrs trying not to think about that period.

Gee, I wish someone had told me that repping Bootneck was NOT going to keep him safe. Boy, do I feel a fool now. I though rep points provided an invisible sheild against incoming rounds.

EZ and Colin are, I think, already aware of my thoughts towards Boot, I have no need to express them to the board.

I don't think that that by repping boot or gving one another encouragement that anyone was under the illusion that it would keep him safe. If they were, no matter how well meaning , they were sadly mistaken. Now, by offering a rep. as a way to remember his service and one another for doing so is in my opinion is in a small way showing your support for someone that is deployed and in harms way. It doesn't matter if you know the man or not and can tell you that Boot was one of the first people I met on here and consider him to be an honorable and decent young man and even if I did not know the man, to show your support for these young people is not something to ever be ashmed of. Now while I agree it did get a little out of hand in terms of passing around the rep. and I admit to doing that just as much as anyone else. Repping Boot is just another way of remembering that sacrifice he is making. Gunny's point is well taken and of course rep. points are not a shield for incoming rounds nor are they more rounds in a magazine. Anyone who takes the time to remember these young men and women and I say young because, when you start to see the Ships and Aircraft that you served on mostly in museums you can assume most of those now are young lol, anyone who does take the time however should continue to do so because I know in whatever way you are taking the time to do so if you know them or not, in the end it is appreciated.

God Speed Boot and Come home Soon.......

Last edited:
I will say one thing that I know - from my own experience and thank God all mine are, currently, safe but.... when they are away the stupid little things mean a lot.

Bootneck are the best Royals which give a something greater meaning value. Bootneck includes the best commandos. They are the great in their own way. It includes one of the world's most training courses outside the special forces. It is quite admirable. Bootnecks are a sub-tribe of the Royal Navy.

Bootneck are the best Royals which give a something greater meaning value. Bootneck includes the best commandos. They are the great in their own way. It includes one of the world's most training courses outside the special forces. It is quite admirable. Bootnecks are a sub-tribe of the Royal Navy.

Bootneck is a poster here.

We miss his wit and wisdom.... and we pray for his safe return.

Just heard from Bootneck, he is hot and wants a beer! :beer:

It's about 120 degrees in the hell hole he's in,,,maybe even hotter.

Wish we could send he and his mates a keg! :D

Just heard from Bootneck, he is hot and wants a beer! :beer:

It's about 120 degrees in the hell hole he's in,,,maybe even hotter.

Wish we could send he and his mates a keg! :D

All we need to do is figure out how to send it.
Stainless-Steel-Beer-Keg-50L-EURO-.jpg

Forum List

Back