USS America

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
The Navy's newest class of large-deck amphibious assault ship, LHA 6, bears the name America. LHA 6 replaces the aging Tarawa-class and represents a conscious decision to increase the aviation capacity of future big deck amphibious ships in order to maximize the Navy's investment in future aircraft. America is currently under construction at Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding in Pascagoula, Miss., and is expected to be delivered to the Navy in 2012

America (LHA 6)

lha-6-uss-america.jpg

This ship will will carry on the fine tradtions of the name, as most may know the previous USS America was sunk as a traget not to long ago. so it's good to see another USS America soon to be added to the fleet.

Years ago, I was stationed aboard the USS AMERICA (CVA-66). It was an aircraft carrier then. After they decomissioned it, they sank it to make an artificial reef. Hope the new AMERICA has a proud tradition like the previous AMERICA did. I think AMERICA is a great name for a Navy ship. I also think every great Navy should have a Marine Corps! I came aboard the USS AMERICA for duty as a Hospitalman (HN) and left as a Hospitalman Third Class (HM3):lol:

Last edited:
americasunk.jpg

Sadly, she went down as a target rather than be preserved. There was a lot of effort to get the CVN-77 the George H.W. Bush name America as well as the CVN-78 Gerald R. Ford, but these Tarawa class ships are very fitting of the name.

Am I the only one a little disappointed by the size of the ship?

I mean, DDs are named for soldiers, CGs for cities, BBs for states, CVs for Presidents/Admirals.

I was sorta hoping the next USS America would be our largest supercarrier, or maybe even our first space carrier. Oh well...

Daedalus_in_orbit.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a very good idea of the scale of the thing.

Or its mission.

Could you add a bit more detail?

It can deliver a full brigade of Marines anywhere in the world, and provide air-to-surface support. It's very similar to the USS Wasp, our current amphibious assault ship.

USS Wasp (Amphibious Assault)
USS_WASP_VMM263.jpg

USS Nimitz (Supercarrier)
USS_Nimitz_in_Victoria_Canada_036.jpg

The USS Wasp deck is 844ft long, while the USS Nimitz is 1,092ft long.

The new USS America will be around 40,000 tons as opposed to a Nimitz class CVN which is close to a 100,000 , they both have very different missions. However the Tarawa class ships do have fixed wing aircraft and with the new F-35 JSF the Marine variant will add additional stike capability to this ship. Granted it is not a CVN but is still a potent weapons system and capable of powerful force projection and fitting of the name.

The primary war-fighting mission of the LHA-1 Tarawa class is to land and sustain United States Marines on any shore during hostilities. The ships serve as the centerpiece of a multi-ship Amphibious Readiness Group (ARG). Some 3,000 Sailors and Marines contribute to a forward-deployed ARG composed of approximately 5,000 personnel. The ships are designed to maintain what the Marine Corps calls "tactical integrity" - getting a balanced force to the same place at the same time. One LHA can carry a complete Marine battalion, along with the supplies and equipment needed in an assault, and land them ashore by either helicopter or amphibious craft. This two pronged capability, with emphasis on airborne landing of troops and equipment, enables the Navy and Marine Corps to fulfill their present-day mission. Whether the landing force is involved in an armed conflict, acting as a deterrent force in an unfavorable political situation or serving in a humanitarian mission, the class offers tactical versatility.
The Tarawa class is designed to operate independently or as a unit of a force, as a flagship or individual ship unit in both air and/or surface assaults, these ships are key elements of the amphibious assault forces for the Navy. They incorporate the best design features and capabilities of several amphibious assault ships currently in service: the Amphibious Assault Ship (LPH), Amphibious Transport Dock (LPD), Amphibious Cargo Ship (LKA), and Dock Landing Ship (LSD).
Federation of American Scientists :: LHA-1 Tarawa class

I like the idea of smaller carriers and assault ships. The America looks like a beautiful ship

Forum List

Back