Boehner goes limp

Doesn't sound like the problem lies with Boehner. He's actually pleasantly surprised me in some ways; he made the transition from bomb-throwing minority leader to Speaker better than I thought he would. But his caucus is his caucus.

As potential elements of the plan became public, Mr. Boehner was encountering stiff resistance from fellow Republicans determined to oppose any package containing proposals that could be construed as a tax increase, worried such a deal could cost the party dearly in the 2012 elections. In the initial White House talks last Thursday, Representative Eric Cantor of Virginia, the No. 2 House Republican, broke with the speaker and pushed for a mid-range agreement.

• Banned
Doesn't sound like the problem lies with Boehner. He's actually pleasantly surprised me in some ways; he made the transition from bomb-throwing minority leader to Speaker better than I thought he would. But his caucus is his caucus.

As potential elements of the plan became public, Mr. Boehner was encountering stiff resistance from fellow Republicans determined to oppose any package containing proposals that could be construed as a tax increase, worried such a deal could cost the party dearly in the 2012 elections. In the initial White House talks last Thursday, Representative Eric Cantor of Virginia, the No. 2 House Republican, broke with the speaker and pushed for a mid-range agreement.

Glad to know that getting re-elected is a higher priority than doing the right thing.

They will make pleanty of money from their mega donors.

They can also do a phil Gramm and jsut take a great job from any of the industries that benifit from another crash.

Gramm wrote GLB act and as soon as it passed he took a big job at UBS.

over the last week and a half since the big O has decided to suit up there have been, from both reps and dems, mixed messages galore. frankly I have no idea what is going on in any of their heads and where they really stand, I don't think anyone does but them(y?) but its politics so, that goes with the territory.

I don't trust the dems to enact budget cuts if we give them what they want.

I want a balanced budget amend. period, and yes, I know it cannot be done overnight, BUT they must publicly all commit to go forward with it, obama reid nancy all say publicly they sppt and will push for one, and in the next 6 months full stop. then, I would agree to a tax increase, absent that forget it.

if not, that brings us back to cuts now , right now and a small increase in the debt. limit, we can do it incrementally as the cuts get enacted or as we work up to passing the balanced budget amend..

Glad to know that getting re-elected is a higher priority than doing the right thing.

why yes, because no one else plays politics but republicans....:lol:

• Banned

why yes, because no one else plays politics but republicans....:lol:

Oh I forgot, dems do it too, therefore it's ok. :thup:

Thanks for the reminder. :doubt:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/us/politics/10debt.html

It's hard to believe he has the best interests of Americans at heart.

It really is how you present it

Boehner tells Obama ‘no’ on big debt deal

:eusa_angel:

Seeking 2 trillion in tax cuts without the 2 TRILLION in tax increase that the Democrats wanted in the middle of a recession
Does seem that bad

These are based on earlier talks led by Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr; where they had reached consensus on about $2 trillion in deficit reduction through spending cuts.

Plus, Boehner’s approach would solve the immediate debt-ceiling crisis but leave everybody in exactly the same position as at the midterms.

Last edited:
They will make pleanty of money from their mega donors.

They can also do a phil Gramm and jsut take a great job from any of the industries that benifit from another crash.

Gramm wrote GLB act and as soon as it passed he took a big job at UBS.

Those Damm Republicans

How did Nancy Pelosi do on the market?
Nancy Pelosi's wealth rose by 62% last year.
In 2009 she had a minimum net worth of 21.7 million now after discolsures by Mrs pelosi her net worth is 35.2 million.

I get it. How long was the radical left waiting to use this little (tasteless) pun? Maybe if they waited longer they could have included teabags. No matter what the GOP does the left will criticize them. That's the nature of hate-politics.

over the last week and a half since the big O has decided to suit up there have been, from both reps and dems, mixed messages galore. frankly I have no idea what is going on in any of their heads and where they really stand, I don't think anyone does but them(y?) but its politics so, that goes with the territory.

I don't trust the dems to enact budget cuts if we give them what they want.

I want a balanced budget amend. period, and yes, I know it cannot be done overnight, BUT they must publicly all commit to go forward with it, obama reid nancy all say publicly they sppt and will push for one, and in the next 6 months full stop. then, I would agree to a tax increase, absent that forget it.

if not, that brings us back to cuts now , right now and a small increase in the debt. limit, we can do it incrementally as the cuts get enacted or as we work up to passing the balanced budget amend..

The biggest problem with a balanced budget amendment is that they would actually have to balance the budget, and I don't mean that in a funny or sarcastic way. Given that scenario, there would only be two choices, cut spending or increase taxes. In most cases tax increases would have to be part of the equation. Just having a balanced budget amendment would not guarantee cuts in spending, but it could make it more likely that we would see bigger tax increases. Such an amendment might actually do more harm than good.

Good thing he pulled back

White House ups the ante

The White House dished out the spin that suddenly the Tea Party crowd had nixed a deal. In reality, the White House had upped the ante on taxes. A Republican House aide told me that the White House “started to backpedal on entitlement reforms too.” He explained, “They [the White House] had started to go back on some of the Medicare and Medicaid reforms they had previously said they were ok with.” In other words, either the White House never intended to present a viable grand bargain, or, if Obama did, the left got to him.​

Good thing started to sound like old tricks

Why are Republicans demanding a debt deal that has big spending cuts but no tax increases? (Besides, of course, the fact that spending is the problem and the last thing this weak economy needs is a tax hike?) Maybe it’s because the last time they agree to one of these “$2 in spending cuts for every $1 in tax hikes” agreements, they got snookered.

atr1.jpg

Forum List

Back