Blue states lose population - 2010 census

People are fleeing to "red states", but they're also making them bluer in the process. It's almost like people have a preference for warmer weather.

Last edited:
People are fleeing to "red states", but they're also making them bluer in the process.

Are they? From what I've seen the south has been getting steadily more Republican over the last 30 years, not less.

People are fleeing to "red states", but they're also making them bluer in the process. It's almost like people have a preference for warmer weather.

Do you have any facts / statistics to back up this claim?

No, because it's not true. The election trends show exactly the opposite, but Polk isn't the first one to make this assumption. They assume that because people are leaving Democratic leaning states that it is Democratic leaning people that are moving south bringing their politics with them, but that's not what's happening. Conversely, if you look at the northeastern states, they've been getting more difficult for Republicans to win, over the long term.

People are fleeing to "red states", but they're also making them bluer in the process.

Are they? From what I've seen the south has been getting steadily more Republican over the last 30 years, not less.

That's a social relic. Look at the period after realignment. The faster growing areas of the South are also the ones trending more Democratic.

No, because it's not true. The election trends show exactly the opposite, but Polk isn't the first one to make this assumption. They assume that because people are leaving Democratic leaning states that it is Democratic leaning people that are moving south bringing their politics with them, but that's not what's happening. Conversely, if you look at the northeastern states, they've been getting more difficult for Republicans to win, over the long term.

Over the long term, perhaps, but there have been good gains in the NE for the right side... PA elected conservative Toomey and conservative Corbett... Twitter Boy's seat going R for the first time since the 20's... NJ's governor Christie... Kennedy's seat going R... Not sure if that's a trend or just moderates who are really pissed at 0bama and the far leftists...

From what I see, you don't get those same gains for the blues in the South... TX is popular for people to move to, but it's still solid red...

I don't assume anything. I looked at the hard data. I've actually been involved in academic research on the topic (caveat: it only examined the 11 southern states, defined as those who were part of the Confederacy). In 10 of the 11, population growth from 1990 to mid-2000 was a strong predictor of Obama's 2008 vote share relative to Gore and Kerry. That trend also held within states (the fastest growing counties in a significant state had a much larger swing toward Obama than the state as a whole).

I don't assume anything. I looked at the hard data. I've actually been involved in academic research on the topic (caveat: it only examined the 11 southern states, defined as those who were part of the Confederacy). In 10 of the 11, population growth from 1990 to mid-2000 was a strong predictor of Obama's 2008 vote share relative to Gore and Kerry. That trend also held within states (the fastest growing counties in a significant state had a much larger swing toward Obama than the state as a whole).

The south had long been dominated by Democrats, for well more than a hundred years. The state legislatures in all of the southern states have only recently flipped to Republican majorities. Mississippi and Arkansas are still under Democratic control. All of these states have again only recently begun electing Republican governors. Southern Democratic members of Congress are becoming extinct. They are not growing in numbers. More and more of them are losing their seats each election cycle to Republicans. My congressman, Mick Mulvaney, who just got elected last year, is the first Republican to ever hold this seat in upstate South Carolina. I assure you, the southern states are not becoming more Democratic. They have shifted far in the opposite direction.

Over the long term, perhaps, but there have been good gains in the NE for the right side... PA elected conservative Toomey and conservative Corbett... Twitter Boy's seat going R for the first time since the 20's... NJ's governor Christie... Kennedy's seat going R... Not sure if that's a trend or just moderates who are really pissed at 0bama and the far leftists...

From what I see, you don't get those same gains for the blues in the South... TX is popular for people to move to, but it's still solid red...

It wasn't that long ago that Pennsylvania had Rick Santorum either. As for Corbett, PA has flipped back and forth between a Republican and Democratic governor every eight years since the 1970s. The last two years have shown a bit of a Republican resurgence in the northeast, but that's only been because of Obama's growing unpopularity. The long term trend is that the GOP is losing ground in the traditional blue states.

Up until 2007, Connecticut had more Republican members of Congress than Democratic. Now they're all Democrats. 20 years ago, Republicans used to hold half the U.S. House seats in New York. Now, they have only about a third of them and that is only because they picked up six last year in the GOP wave. They only had three seats for a couple years there. Up until 2003, Republicans controlled the Vermont state legislature. Now they are a very small minority. Republicans lost control of the New Hampshire state legislature for the first time since statehood in 2006. Granted, they won it back last year, but the long term trend is that NH is becoming less reliable for the GOP. Massachusetts hasn't had a Republican in the U.S. House since the mid 90s.

The red is getting redder and the blue is getting bluer.

I live in Missouri cause the taxes were too high in Arkansas. I don't see that on the map. Many people leave to seek work, not just lower taxes.
Unless you asks every single person why they moved, the poll or story is no completely true and accurateasto the reason for their leaving.

One hopes that at some point, you will be able to grasp the connection between high taxes and few jobs. :rolleyes:

I have. maybe some day you will become aware that not all ideas apply to all areas. My taxes for 43 acres and a 2400 sq. ft. house is 420 dollars, in Arkansas I had a 1000 sq. ft. house and my taxes was 900 dollars. Both states were run by democrats.

Your doing fine in ether state,try NY 7 acres,1500 sq. 4800 in taxes,people are leaving here because of that,along with the total disfunctionality of Albany.

The cost of living especially the cost of real estate or rentals is higher in the NortheEast and MidAtlantic states than most of the rest of the nation.

Additionally, the average incomes aren't higher in the NE quatrant of the nation, either. In fact many folks inform me that they are lower than hereabouts

Retirement and the WEATHER are the other major factors that have been shifting the population to the South and West.

Local taxes have, I suspect, damned little to do with that shift in population.

Last edited:
As mentioned cost of living,jobs are at top of list, school /real estate tax's are the straws that breaks the camels back.

Blue states are moving to the south and watering down red states with blue state liberal ideologue, so that means red states are becoming less red and more blue. By 2025, red states will be populated with the largest Hispanic voting populous in the nation. Red States are losing their rightwing dominance with every blue stater who moves there, and with every Hispanic who emigrates. The younger generations are becoming more and more liberal, and moving the nation to the left as they start to vote more. Red States know they may have won the battle in 2010, they are losing the war in the long run.

The south entirely went for Bush in 04. North Carolina, Florida, and Virginia all went for Obama in 08...........

2008 was an off year across the board. Florida has always been a swing state, but the GOP has been gaining the edge there. Furthermore, you're only looking at presidential elections, not the large picture.

Forum List

Back