Blue states lose population - 2010 census

Vermont, which used to be a conservative state, was screwed up by lots of rich liberal yuppies who turned places like new york, new jersey, and connecticut into shitholes, and then fled to the northeast.

Sorry, but I actually live here (born here, spent my formative years here, and returned from CA in 1989 permanently), and I can guarantee the "rich" flatlanders are hardly liberal. They move here to escape the hustle and bustle of metropolis regions, the clean air and simple life, but soon discover they miss every road not being paved, can't handle septic tanks and wells and demand sewer lines be extended to their wilderness acreage, join school boards to use budgeted monies for new cheerleading outfits for their girls instead of new textbooks, and the list is endless. Before you know it, the natives can't afford to pay the increased taxes which result from all their demands and some wind up losing their homes of generations.

You were saying?

No libs, huh? Then why does a place that sent Calvin Coolidge to DC 90 years ago send leftwingers Sanders and Leahy there now? Nothing changed?

I didn't say there were no "libs" here. By your definition, I'm a "lib" too. Vermont is extremely nonpartisan when it comes to its elected officials, and has been for decades. When Richard Snelling (a Republican) died and Howard Dean took over (a Democrat), there was no screaming and hollering by ANYONE because those two were of like mind. They both did what they considered best for the STATE, not for their respective party ideologies. Last year, a Republican governor Jim Douglas didn't seek reelection, and a Democrat was elected. So? Nobody hardly blinked. Republicans and Democrats know how to work together to get things done. They don't sit around wasting time taking jabs at each other. As for Sanders and Leahy, all you have to do is look at their reelection numbers and you would know that they too are extremely popular among the natives because they're not insanely partisan.

Oh Bullshit!

The reason for the population shift is that the people in the blues states are too dumb to figure out how to use a condom.

I live here, and the freeways are much less crowded than it was say ten years ago. Plus, note that I didn't say the overall population was going down by actual body count, but rather citizens. There are about 5 million illegal aliens just in southern california.

I live here too and they cannot build freeways enough to keep up with the traffic.

The more they build, the more cars that will use them. It's counterproductive. Force people to use alternative transportation, build drop-off stations and car pool, build a fast lane if necessary, but not an entire freeway. Just look how easily people found alternatives when the 405 was closed. Panic turned into solutions. No problems.

No - they stayed home for two days. Do you want them to stay home forever?

Sorry, but I actually live here (born here, spent my formative years here, and returned from CA in 1989 permanently), and I can guarantee the "rich" flatlanders are hardly liberal. They move here to escape the hustle and bustle of metropolis regions, the clean air and simple life, but soon discover they miss every road not being paved, can't handle septic tanks and wells and demand sewer lines be extended to their wilderness acreage, join school boards to use budgeted monies for new cheerleading outfits for their girls instead of new textbooks, and the list is endless. Before you know it, the natives can't afford to pay the increased taxes which result from all their demands and some wind up losing their homes of generations.

You were saying?

No libs, huh? Then why does a place that sent Calvin Coolidge to DC 90 years ago send leftwingers Sanders and Leahy there now? Nothing changed?

I didn't say there were no "libs" here. By your definition, I'm a "lib" too. Vermont is extremely nonpartisan when it comes to its elected officials, and has been for decades. When Richard Snelling (a Republican) died and Howard Dean took over (a Democrat), there was no screaming and hollering by ANYONE because those two were of like mind. They both did what they considered best for the STATE, not for their respective party ideologies. Last year, a Republican governor Jim Douglas didn't seek reelection, and a Democrat was elected. So? Nobody hardly blinked. Republicans and Democrats know how to work together to get things done. They don't sit around wasting time taking jabs at each other. As for Sanders and Leahy, all you have to do is look at their reelection numbers and you would know that they too are extremely popular among the natives because they're not insanely partisan.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight - Leahy votes straight leftwing and has an ADA rating of 100. No partisanship there. :lol:

You don't want to be in Chicago in the winter without a job. zero degrees with a wind chill of twenty below? No thanks. If you are going to be unemployed, then it's better where it's warm.

Ame®icano;3924375 said:
I wouldn't say that...

I think majority of those that are moving are seeking work or seeking lower taxes.
Those on welfare don't care to work and aren't paying taxes anyways, so why would they move?

Maybe because leftwing policies have devastated their lives? The wretched urban ghetto schools, the uncontrolled crime, the disappearance of civil institutions.

Oh please. Anyone living on the Upper East Side of New York and can afford a second home in Vermont isn't devasted, and they can well afford the taxes they pay.

Who's talking about them?

Yup.

But that in part, I think because so many people here (particularly young people who CAN move easier than those of us in our later years) moved (until recently) because the South and West offered more employment and lower costs of living.

Basically the NE was EXPORTING its unemployed.

Now, of course, with this meltdown of the economy that job picture appears to be changing.

Maine's population had been rising somewhat as more and more retired migrated here to take advantage of the low cost of housing and the low crime.

But Maines kids tend to leave in droves seeking both a place where being young isn't a crime, and a place where they can find jobs to start out their careers.

Maine is something of a Geritocracy.

Retirees move south. That's just the way it is.

The population is aging, thus more people are retiring, thus more people are moving south.

This isn't brain surgery here.

And, yes, retirees are in fact "unemployed". That is pretty much the point of "retiring".

The migration from the NE to the South and West has been happening for the last 200 years.

This development accelerated greatly post WWII.

State taxes are certainly one of the motivators.

But seeking better weather is, I suspect the primary reason for this development.

It's gonna be a bitch once the water runs out in the south.

The migration from the NE to the South and West has been happening for the last 200 years.

But seeking better weather is, I suspect the primary reason for this development.

And not necessarily a bad thing. New England and the Middle Atlantic states currently have, as regions, the lowest unemployment rates in the country. If people were pouring INTO these regions, fighting over a finite number of jobs, that would not make things better.

Florida's UE rate is well above the national average.

Florida's hgh unemployment rate is probably due to the fact that it got especially hard hit by the collapse of the housing market.

Interesting how there could be a housing collapse with all those people moving there. Guess they must not need anywhere to live.

You don't want to be in Chicago in the winter without a job. zero degrees with a wind chill of twenty below? No thanks. If you are going to be unemployed, then it's better where it's warm.

I remember those days. Almost every winter, we had a couple of weeks when the actual temperature was twenty below and I'd have to get up every three hours to start both cars and let them run for twenty minutes so that they would start the next morning.

people are fleeing high-tax blue states (here, ironically portrayed in red) to low-tax red states, and taking some congressional seats with them:

tumblr_lfn1hgutwy1qgc5cno1_500.png

florida is an exception, too many northeast leftwingers retire there, but a 1.5% vote switch would have tipped it into the gop column, and undoubtedly will in 2012.

all it takes is republicans split their vote or useless republicans pick another communist like mc cain and obama will win in a land slide !

For the record, Missouri's population grew by seven percent...it just wasn't enough to keep from losing a congressional seat.

[SIZE=+2]Census Reveals 7% Population Growth in Missouri - But Not Enough to Prevent Loss of Congressional Seat [/SIZE]

Missouri's population grew by 7 percent to nearly 6 million in the last decade, according to 2010 Census data released recently by the U.S. Census Bureau. The Census, required every 10 years by the U.S. Constitution, reveals the total population of the United States and each state. The information is used to determine the number of Congressional seats in each state, as well as the amount of federal aid each state receives.

http://memphisdemocrat.com/2011/news/110106_census.shtml

Last edited:
I doubt there are many established families who undertake a move based on taxes.

People move (grown ups I mean, kids starting out are another kettle of fish) for work first and foremost.

Every region has its own story, I suspect.

And not necessarily a bad thing. New England and the Middle Atlantic states currently have, as regions, the lowest unemployment rates in the country. If people were pouring INTO these regions, fighting over a finite number of jobs, that would not make things better.

Florida's UE rate is well above the national average.

Florida's hgh unemployment rate is probably due to the fact that it got especially hard hit by the collapse of the housing market.

That's part of it for sure.

Another huge hit to us, is the economy of other states suffering too. One of the first things people do when in tough financial times is not go on vacation, cut back how much they spend. I for one have noticed in the past 4 year or so a sharp decline in tourism. That's a lot less money going into our sales tax (which is a major way we get by with not having a state income tax).

People are fleeing high-tax blue states (here, ironically portrayed in red) to low-tax red states, and taking some congressional seats with them:

tumblr_lfn1hguTWy1qgc5cno1_500.png

Florida is an exception, too many northeast leftwingers retire there, but a 1.5% vote switch would have tipped it into the GOP column, and undoubtedly will in 2012.

That's right. We're invading. Won't be red for long!!! :muahaha:

I doubt there are many established families who undertake a move based on taxes.

People move (grown ups I mean, kids starting out are another kettle of fish) for work first and foremost.

Every region has its own story, I suspect.

But the jobs are moving to the tax friendly states and taxes are a consideration when moving. When I moved to Charlotte from Boston, I chose to live in South Carolina, just over the state line, rather than in North Carolina, because the taxes are lower in SC and I'm still a reasonable distance from my office in uptown Charlotte.

Forum List

Back