Blue states lose population - 2010 census

I live in Missouri cause the taxes were too high in Arkansas. I don't see that on the map. Many people leave to seek work, not just lower taxes.
Unless you asks every single person why they moved, the poll or story is no completely true and accurateasto the reason for their leaving.

One hopes that at some point, you will be able to grasp the connection between high taxes and few jobs. :rolleyes:

I live in Missouri cause the taxes were too high in Arkansas. I don't see that on the map. Many people leave to seek work, not just lower taxes.
Unless you asks every single person why they moved, the poll or story is no completely true and accurateasto the reason for their leaving.

One hopes that at some point, you will be able to grasp the connection between high taxes and few jobs. :rolleyes:

I have. maybe some day you will become aware that not all ideas apply to all areas. My taxes for 43 acres and a 2400 sq. ft. house is 420 dollars, in Arkansas I had a 1000 sq. ft. house and my taxes was 900 dollars. Both states were run by democrats.

Last edited:
People are fleeing high-tax blue states (here, ironically portrayed in red) to low-tax red states, and taking some congressional seats with them:

tumblr_lfn1hguTWy1qgc5cno1_500.png

Florida is an exception, too many northeast leftwingers retire there, but a 1.5% vote switch would have tipped it into the GOP column, and undoubtedly will in 2012.

Must be due to the fact that the red states get so much more back from the feds on a per capita basis. This just means more tax dollars will be funneled from blue states to red. The red states pay less in taxes but get more back, yet they bitch about how much they pay. Gotta love it.

Except Texas pays more to the feds than they receive. And it looks like thats where most people are Going according to the graph.

So I guess that shoots your theory all to hell and back.

So people are leaving the United States to go to Texas.....sounds like a win/win to me.

The migration from the NE to the South and West has been happening for the last 200 years.

This development accelerated greatly post WWII.

State taxes are certainly one of the motivators.

But seeking better weather is, I suspect the primary reason for this development.

And I guess that explains why californians have been deserting the state in droves (more than made up for by illegal aliens there to cash in on the largess from libs who are bankrupting the state).

How odd...I wish we could see the result of that on our freeways....but alas, they are as crowded as ever with commuters.

The migration from the NE to the South and West has been happening for the last 200 years.

This development accelerated greatly post WWII.

State taxes are certainly one of the motivators.

But seeking better weather is, I suspect the primary reason for this development.

And I guess that explains why californians have been deserting the state in droves (more than made up for by illegal aliens there to cash in on the largess from libs who are bankrupting the state).

How odd...I wish we could see the result of that on our freeways....but alas, they are as crowded as ever with commuters.

I live here, and the freeways seem much less crowded than they were say ten years ago. Since democrats drove away so many businesses, probably people drive more to hold down two or three MacJobs. Plus, note that I didn't say the overall population was going down by actual body count, but rather citizens. There are about 5 million illegal aliens just in southern california.

Last edited:

I live here, and the freeways are much less crowded than it was say ten years ago. Plus, note that I didn't say the overall population was going down by actual body count, but rather citizens. There are about 5 million illegal aliens just in southern california.

I live here too and they cannot build freeways enough to keep up with the traffic.

I live here, and the freeways are much less crowded than it was say ten years ago. Plus, note that I didn't say the overall population was going down by actual body count, but rather citizens. There are about 5 million illegal aliens just in southern california.

I live here too and they cannot build freeways enough to keep up with the traffic.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. Eg - the 405 into orange county at evening rush hour. Use to be a dead crawl for tens of miles - now there are only a few sticky places. And once again, I said there are more ILLEGALS, so you might have more on say the 5 between santa ana and LA, etc

Last edited:
Must be due to the fact that the red states get so much more back from the feds on a per capita basis. This just means more tax dollars will be funneled from blue states to red. The red states pay less in taxes but get more back, yet they bitch about how much they pay. Gotta love it.

Care to try proving that BS?

The red states - especially Tx - have lower tax rates for business, and "usually" no state income tax... therefore, there are more jobs and more money to be made. Simply bc, who in their right mind would start a business in a state that takes more of your capital?
This is bringing more work and more people to the red states.

Thats my .02
The Red/Blue Paradox - Reason Magazine

TaxProf Blog: Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed

Ezra Klein - The red state ripoff

Red-State Moochers: Federal Taxes Favor Those Who Complain the Most About Federal Taxes « SpeakEasy

That's a GREAT article in Reason magazine, and explains the "mindset" of those who wish to exploit the subject for political points (i.e., the OP). People move because they have to (job change, family situation, personal finances) or because they want to (weather, retirement, family situation), not in order to expand on the electoral base of said state(s).

Really? I live in Vermont where the individual income tax rate (before deductions) is 10.2%, eighth highest in the country, but we have a 5.4% unemployment rate. Imagine that. JOBS in various areas of the country depend more on what industry is most productive. In Vermont, it's tourism.

Really? I live in Vermont where the individual income tax rate (before deductions) is 10.2%, eighth highest in the country, but we have a 5.4% unemployment rate. Imagine that. JOBS in various areas of the country depend more on what industry is most productive. In Vermont, it's tourism.

And yet in Florida, a state that also largely depends on tourism, the unemployment rate is 10.6% and they have no individual income tax.

Vermont, which used to be a conservative state, was screwed up by lots of rich liberal yuppies who turned places like new york, new jersey, and connecticut into shitholes, and then fled to the northeast.

People are fleeing high-tax blue states (here, ironically portrayed in red) to low-tax red states, and taking some congressional seats with them:

Florida is an exception, too many northeast leftwingers retire there, but a 1.5% vote switch would have tipped it into the GOP column, and undoubtedly will in 2012.

Wait a minute...

...northeastern liberals moving to Florida increases the odds that Florida will vote Republican?

Waaaa?????

I wouldn't say that...

I think majority of those that are moving are seeking work or seeking lower taxes.
Those on welfare don't care to work and aren't paying taxes anyways, so why would they move?

Vermont, which used to be a conservative state, was screwed up by lots of rich liberal yuppies who turned places like new york, new jersey, and connecticut into shitholes, and then fled to the northeast.

Sorry, but I actually live here (born here, spent my formative years here, and returned from CA in 1989 permanently), and I can guarantee the "rich" flatlanders are hardly liberal. They move here to escape the hustle and bustle of metropolis regions, the clean air and simple life, but soon discover they miss every road not being paved, can't handle septic tanks and wells and demand sewer lines be extended to their wilderness acreage, join school boards to use budgeted monies for new cheerleading outfits for their girls instead of new textbooks, and the list is endless. Before you know it, the natives can't afford to pay the increased taxes which result from all their demands and some wind up losing their homes of generations.

You were saying?

Ame®icano;3924375 said:

Wait a minute...

...northeastern liberals moving to Florida increases the odds that Florida will vote Republican?

Waaaa?????

I wouldn't say that...

I think majority of those that are moving are seeking work or seeking lower taxes.
Those on welfare don't care to work and aren't paying taxes anyways, so why would they move?

Maybe because leftwing policies have devastated their lives? The wretched urban ghetto schools, the uncontrolled crime, the disappearance of civil institutions.

Sorry, but I actually live here (born here, spent my formative years here, and returned from CA in 1989 permanently), and I can guarantee the "rich" flatlanders are hardly liberal. They move here to escape the hustle and bustle of metropolis regions, the clean air and simple life, but soon discover they miss every road not being paved, can't handle septic tanks and wells and demand sewer lines be extended to their wilderness acreage, join school boards to use budgeted monies for new cheerleading outfits for their girls instead of new textbooks, and the list is endless. Before you know it, the natives can't afford to pay the increased taxes which result from all their demands and some wind up losing their homes of generations.

You were saying?

No libs, huh? Then why does a place that sent Calvin Coolidge to DC 90 years ago send leftwingers Sanders and Leahy there now? Nothing changed?

The more they build, the more cars that will use them. It's counterproductive. Force people to use alternative transportation, build drop-off stations and car pool, build a fast lane if necessary, but not an entire freeway. Just look how easily people found alternatives when the 405 was closed. Panic turned into solutions. No problems.

And yet in Florida, a state that also largely depends on tourism, the unemployment rate is 10.6% and they have no individual income tax.

Maybe the reason is the tourism industry in Florida doesn't bring in enough of a tax base to support all the retired people who don't partake in the popular recreation spots anyway? Vermont's tourism industry could be different simply because of its geographic makeup. Even the big ski areas are close enough to the largest cities that all the surrounding areas benefit from tourists that flock to the mountains. Most are within 20-30 minutes away, with little hamlets all along the way catering to the snow lovers. We also have GREAT lake activities in the summer both on Lake Champlain and also there are tons of small, crystal clear lakes dotted all over the state and Mom & Pop businesses that support boating and camping.

Ame®icano;3924375 said:
Wait a minute...

Waaaa?????

I wouldn't say that...

Maybe because leftwing policies have devastated their lives? The wretched urban ghetto schools, the uncontrolled crime, the disappearance of civil institutions.

Oh please. Anyone living on the Upper East Side of New York and can afford a second home in Vermont isn't devasted, and they can well afford the taxes they pay.

Forum List

Back