Super Congress

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Salt Jones, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Salt Jones

Salt Jones BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Debt ceiling negotiators think they've hit on a solution to address the debt ceiling impasse and the public's unwillingness to let go of benefits such as Medicare and Social Security that have been earned over a lifetime of work: Create a new Congress.

This "Super Congress," composed of members of both chambers and both parties, isn't mentioned anywhere in the Constitution, but would be granted extraordinary new powers. Under a plan put forth by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his counterpart Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), legislation to lift the debt ceiling would be accompanied by the creation of a 12-member panel made up of 12 lawmakers -- six from each chamber and six from each party.

Legislation approved by the Super Congress -- which some on Capitol Hill are calling the "super committee" -- would then be fast-tracked through both chambers, where it couldn't be amended by simple, regular lawmakers, who'd have the ability only to cast an up or down vote....House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has made a Super Congress a central part of his last-minute proposal, multiple news reports and people familiar with his plan say.

'Super Congress': Debt Ceiling Negotiators Aim To Create New Legislative Body

I don't like this. What say you?

2. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    Wasn't this part of what McConnell surfaced 2 weeks ago?

and as far as issues, the bodies would still have an up or down vote, I don't see any issue there.

I have to think on it further and see more detail...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  3. Salt Jones

Salt Jones BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +510
    I don't know, but I didn't read everything he proposed. I don't think it will fly. Each side always whines when the party in charge asks for "Clean" bills.

4. Marissa

Marissa Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Creating a third legislative body, with even less accountability to the people will lay the foundation for severe corruption. It may be convenient now, but it stands highly prone to abuse in the future.

5. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    What the FUCK?? Is this even legal??

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Seems like an elitist answer to give further cover to incumbents not to have to make choices that may hurt them at election time. I can see the 'super group' being those that are unlikely to lose their seats due to their popularity at 'home.' Same as Congress has more or less pushed off declarations of war and forcing budgets to be passed.

Hell, get rid of all of them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    In theory, yes. The Constitution authorizes Congress to establish its own rules and procedures; as long as each member is allowed a vote, the proposal is perfectly legal. Whether it’s appropriate or not is another matter altogether, however.

8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    The Constitution does not give Congress the power to establish its own rules. What it does do is give each chamber the ability to make up the rules governing that session of Congress, but they cannot make up rules for the other chamber. Any bills that affect revenue have to originate in the House. They cannot originate in the Senate, the White House, or even in a super committee of Congress that is supposed to take over the job of Congress. Only a complete idiot would think this was Constitutional.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Article I Section 5

10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I presume that thy'd get around any constitiutional objections by making convincing the rest of Congress to go along with their compromise.

That means, after they arrive at a compromise, the larger Congress will still have to vote it into law.