Blue states lose population - 2010 census

Patrick2

Jul 12, 2011
People are fleeing high-tax blue states (here, ironically portrayed in red) to low-tax red states, and taking some congressional seats with them:

tumblr_lfn1hguTWy1qgc5cno1_500.png

Florida is an exception, too many northeast leftwingers retire there, but a 1.5% vote switch would have tipped it into the GOP column, and undoubtedly will in 2012.

Last edited:
People are fleeing high-tax blue states (here, ironically portrayed in red) to low-tax red states, and taking some congressional seats with them:

Florida is an exception, too many northeast leftwingers retire there, but a 1.5% vote switch would have tipped it into the GOP column, and undoubtedly will in 2012.

And each one of those congressional seats is an Electoral Vote.

The migration from the NE to the South and West has been happening for the last 200 years.

This development accelerated greatly post WWII.

State taxes are certainly one of the motivators.

But seeking better weather is, I suspect the primary reason for this development.

Wait a minute...

...northeastern liberals moving to Florida increases the odds that Florida will vote Republican?

Waaaa?????

The migration from the NE to the South and West has been happening for the last 200 years.

But seeking better weather is, I suspect the primary reason for this development.

And not necessarily a bad thing. New England and the Middle Atlantic states currently have, as regions, the lowest unemployment rates in the country. If people were pouring INTO these regions, fighting over a finite number of jobs, that would not make things better.

Florida's UE rate is well above the national average.

And not necessarily a bad thing. New England and the Middle Atlantic states currently have, as regions, the lowest unemployment rates in the country. If people were pouring INTO these regions, fighting over a finite number of jobs, that would not make things better.

Yup.

But that in part, I think because so many people here (particularly young people who CAN move easier than those of us in our later years) moved (until recently) because the South and West offered more employment and lower costs of living.

Basically the NE was EXPORTING its unemployed.

Now, of course, with this meltdown of the economy that job picture appears to be changing.

Maine's population had been rising somewhat as more and more retired migrated here to take advantage of the low cost of housing and the low crime.

But Maines kids tend to leave in droves seeking both a place where being young isn't a crime, and a place where they can find jobs to start out their careers.

Maine is something of a Geritocracy.

Last edited:

Must be due to the fact that the red states get so much more back from the feds on a per capita basis. This just means more tax dollars will be funneled from blue states to red. The red states pay less in taxes but get more back, yet they bitch about how much they pay. Gotta love it.

No thanks to Reaganomics they have to move to the desert. And Ohio is a Republican state.

Last edited:
Must be due to the fact that the red states get so much more back from the feds on a per capita basis. This just means more tax dollars will be funneled from blue states to red. The red states pay less in taxes but get more back, yet they bitch about how much they pay. Gotta love it.

Care to try proving that BS?

The red states - especially Tx - have lower tax rates for business, and "usually" no state income tax... therefore, there are more jobs and more money to be made. Simply bc, who in their right mind would start a business in a state that takes more of your capital?
This is bringing more work and more people to the red states.

Thats my .02

Except Texas pays more to the feds than they receive. And it looks like thats where most people are Going according to the graph.

So I guess that shoots your theory all to hell and back.

You leave too much out in your analysis. How many moving to Texas, Arizona, Nevada, and Florida are Hispanic? How about the birthrate differential between whites and Hispanics? How many people from the cold weather North East are moving to milder climates, due to the Boomers beginning to retire? What too much speculation to take your conclusion seriously.

Care to try proving that BS?

The red states - especially Tx - have lower tax rates for business, and "usually" no state income tax... therefore, there are more jobs and more money to be made. Simply bc, who in their right mind would start a business in a state that takes more of your capital?
This is bringing more work and more people to the red states.

Thats my .02

The Red/Blue Paradox - Reason Magazine

TaxProf Blog: Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed

Ezra Klein - The red state ripoff

Red-State Moochers: Federal Taxes Favor Those Who Complain the Most About Federal Taxes « SpeakEasy

Wow breaking it down by states is soooooooooooo accurate. I wonder who the people are in the Blue States paying all the money. I wonder who the people are in the red states recieving it. HAHA Dumbass use youre head.

Wait a minute...

...northeastern liberals moving to Florida increases the odds that Florida will vote Republican?

Waaaa?????

Florida went for obama in 2008 - a 1.5% vote shift would have given it to McCain.

No thanks to Reaganomics they have to move to the desert. And Ohio is a Republican state.

Oh, is that why Ohio went for obama in 2008? :cuckoo:

I live in Missouri cause the taxes were too high in Arkansas. I don't see that on the map. Many people leave to seek work, not just lower taxes.
Unless you asks every single person why they moved, the poll or story is no completely true and accurateasto the reason for their leaving.

Last edited:

Except Texas pays more to the feds than they receive. And it looks like thats where most people are Going according to the graph.

So I guess that shoots your theory all to hell and back.

My theory is that liberals enjoy global warming....but I could be mistaken.

And I guess that explains why californians have been deserting the state in droves (more than made up for by illegal aliens there to cash in on the largess from libs who are bankrupting the state).

Florida's hgh unemployment rate is probably due to the fact that it got especially hard hit by the collapse of the housing market.

Forum List

Back