Bloomberg To Force Flu Vaccines For All NYC Children...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Autism advocates are set to protest tomorrow against a quiet effort by Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s administration to require annual flu vaccinations for all New York City schoolchildren.

On Wednesday, with just three weeks to go until he leaves office, Mr. Bloomberg’s controversial Board of Health is set to vote on new rules that would force children as young as six months old to be immunized each year before December 31 if they attend licensed day care or pre-school programs.

“Young children have a high risk of developing severe complications from influenza. One-third of children under five in New York City do not receive an annual influenza vaccination, even though the vaccine safely and effectively protects them against influenza illness,” the Health Department said in a statement. “This mandate will help protect the health of young children, while reducing the spread of influenza in New York City.

The Board’s members are all mayoral appointees and controversial initiatives–from smoking bans to regulations on soda cup sizes–have historically sailed through with little opposition, angering a small, but vocal group of advocates who claim the vaccinations are potentially dangerous.

“The Bloomberg administration is wildly exaggerating the benefit of the flu shot and we think they are wildly underestimating the risks involved with it,” said John Gilmore, the executive director of the Autism Action Network, speaking more broadly than the controversial claim that links vaccines to autism.

“There are risks associated with every medical procedure,” he said, citing allergic reactions, toxic mercury used as a preservative and questions as to whether the Board’s move is legal given state government jurisdictions...

More:
Protest Planned Over Mandatory Vaccine Requirement in New York | Politicker
» Bloomberg to Force Flu Vaccines for All NYC Children Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

It is amazing there are still people out there who think the flu shot causes autism.

Maybe the flu shot makes some people retarded enough to believe it causes autism.

I think I have created a paradox!

Recent estimates from CDC's Autism Developmental Disabilities Monitoring network found that about 1 in 88 children have ASD. This estimate is higher than estimates from the early 1990s. Over the years, some people have had concerns that autism might be linked to the vaccines children receive. One vaccine ingredient that has been studied specifically is thimerosal, previously used as a preservative in many recommended childhood vaccines. However, in 2001 thimerosal was removed or reduced to trace amounts in all childhood vaccines except for one type of influenza vaccine, and thimerosal-free alternatives are available for influenza vaccine. Evidence from several studies examining trends in vaccine use and changes in autism frequency does not support such an association between thimerosal and autism.

When it comes to kid health, I would stick to CDC recommendations.

CDC - CDC Reports About 90 Percent of Children Who Died From Flu This Season Not Vaccinated | News and Spotlights | Influenza (Flu)

Only the terminally brain dead still believe in the autism connection. Even the original study's authors admit there is no such thing.
But that is not a reason to allow big daddy gov't to go injecting people against their will.

90 percent who died were not vaccinated.

This is what pisses me off about these morons. The kids pay the price of their parents' stupidity.

No matter how you feel about that. You think the government should be able to force people to get one?

I've never had one in almost 60 years

I was given one every year I was active duty. After I retired, I did not get one. Just plain forgot to get one. As luck would have it, I got the flu that year and it damned near killed me. I was near death before I finally went to the ER. I ended up hospitalized.

You can be sure I get one every year now! :lol:

As for forcing people to get one, I think it should be mandatory for children, just like seatbelts. Kids should not have to pay the price for having the bad fortune of being born to stupid parents.

But for adults, leave it up to them to decide for themselves.

Last edited:
Pretty standard big-government tactic.

Take lots of tax money from the people.

Then tell them they can't get that money back (by getting schools etc. in this case) unless they do what the governemnt wants them to do.

Than start making law after law requiring vaccinations whether they want them or not, banning small soft drinks even if the people want the small ones, etc. etc.

The U.S. Constitution does not ban any of these activities, when carried out by state or local governments.

It simply leave you with the open choice: Do you want to live in that state or city, or don't you?

I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, myself.

Government at work--control every decision one makes--even if it endangers the well being of the person they're thinking they're helping.

A flu shot protects the well being.

The U.S. Constitution does not ban any of these activities, when carried out by state or local governments.

There you go. States rights in action.

Exactly.

If the people of New York City don't like it, they're going to have to do something about it themselves. Namely, quit electing liberals like Bloomberg, and put in office people who believe that government's functions should be limited to things ordinary private citizens CAN'T do.

Until the people of New York City do that, they're going to get exactly the government they deserve - the government they voted for.

Exactly.

If the people of New York City don't like it, they're going to have to do something about it themselves. Namely, quit electing liberals like Bloomberg, and put in office people who believe that government's functions should be limited to things ordinary private citizens CAN'T do.

Until the people of New York City do that, they're going to get exactly the government they deserve - the government they voted for.

I think most people are okay with kids being protected by a flu shot when their parents won't do the job. Same with mandatory seat belts for minors. I'm sure a large majority support such measures.

The 16 oz. cup limitation (or whatever it was), on the other hand, is just stupid.

Exactly.

I think most people are okay with kids being protected by a flu shot when their parents won't do the job. Same with mandatory seat belts for minors. I'm sure a large majority support such measures.

The 16 oz. cup limitation (or whatever it was), on the other hand, is just stupid.
I dont care what a large majority of anything thinks. Let them go get flu shots. It is simply wrong and an over-reach by gov't to force something on people. That is tyranny.

Yeah it's all about vaccinations. Phew glad that's solved.

Amazing how no one ever focuses on the actual issue. No surprise the ACA got passed.:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
Mayor Nanny Strikes again. And then, the residents of the Big Apple get to deal with a Communist for 4 years.

New Yorkers...they never learn.

The people of NY have to live with him. Personally, I don't want anyone telling me I have to get anything.

I haven't had a flu shot this year. I don't expect to either. Nothing against them it's just totally off my radar. And with finances as tight as they are, Im not going to spend money on it.

I don't get flu shots, never have. My kids don't get flu shots. My immediate family doesn't get flu shots. We're all as healthy as can be. Sure, I get sick now and again. But then I get over it a day or so later and move on with my life.

I'm not a strong advocate for flu vaccines. Other vaccines, sure. But a flu vaccine, no. I would never stop someone from getting one, but I sure as hell don't want to be forced to get one.

90 percent who died were not vaccinated.

This is what pisses me off about these morons. The kids pay the price of their parents' stupidity.

No matter how you feel about that. You think the government should be able to force people to get one?

I've never had one in almost 60 years

Yes because it will prevent epidemic and pandemic.

Forum List

Back