Blood Lions: A Call to Stop Canned Lion Hunting

2a96e4c71cea36d00b808d700f7008a8.jpg

Keystone species.

Obviously, not all due to trophy hunting but they certainly do their part to decimate wildlife.
No impact from trophy hunting.

I am not a leftward or a bleeding heart progressive

That doesn't mean that I don't love and care for all animal life!

Shame on all of you!

The animals have to be culled in order to maintain a healthy population,and the money goes to further that cause.

Nope. Not even close. Read my posts earlier in the thread.

This is one of the lies told by pro-killing groups and hunters to make it seem like they're doing something good and worthwhile. Hunters kill the strongest and healthiest which weakens the gene pool and it contributes very little money to the overall economy.

Have you ever heard of a Boone and Crockett contest to kill the oldest and sickest? Have you looked at Rustic's trophy avi and his pictures? Even if he or others were willing to kill the weakest, do you really think they ask the animal for identification that proves his age?

As I said earlier, back in the Vietnam era we had a saying - Killing for peace [or conservation] is like fucking for chastity. Same with killing wild animals.
Look up how trophy hunting helps any given game species. Safari club international is a good start.

You really have to lighten up Francis, your emotions are getting the best of you...
Let's not let the foolishness of a bleeding hearts emotions replace facts...

I'm very familiar with Safari Club International. They're just a bunch of slob hunters who have more money than brains. Check out the slime who opened the Dead Head Museum in Tucson. Chuck McRoy. He called it the Wildlife Museum and his stated intent was to kill at least one of every species on the planet.

One entire enormous room, bigger than your home, three stories high, holds nothing but dead heads - ALL of the very same species. Hundreds and hundreds. Just killed because he wanted another dead head.

Yep - I'm very familiar with Safari Club.
It's legal, what more do you want?
So, you don't like it, I get it. Does not make you right.

What species?

Jim Shockey now there's a hunter... Great shows too.

Shame on all of you!

The animals have to be culled in order to maintain a healthy population,and the money goes to further that cause.
Another con who thinks this has anything to do with conservation.

Another moron liberal who doesnt understand that animals need to be culled from time to time to prevent starvation and over predation of local wildlife.

Killing the healthiest and strongest weakens the gene pool. They are not "culled". They are killed so a head can be nailed up on the wall.
No, not really.

Shame on all of you!

Another moron liberal who doesnt understand that animals need to be culled from time to time to prevent starvation and over predation of local wildlife.

not lions. Plenty of gazelles, wildebeasts, buffalo to kill year long.

Lions and other big cats are not the only animals kept in cages for target practice by these asshole cowards. Certain ungulates are, as are other threatened and endangered animals.
Who cares?? They are privately owned... That means they are not yours and mine, there for neither of us have a say what to do with these animals.
As it should be...

Lions and other big cats are not the only animals kept in cages for target practice by these asshole cowards. Certain ungulates are, as are other threatened and endangered animals.
Who cares?? They are privately owned... That means they are not yours and mine, there for neither of us have a say what to do with these animals.
As it should be...

but they suffer

don't you care about that?

what kind of person are you?

As it should be...

but they suffer

What kind of person are you to try impose you personal views on others. If the hunting if for food why not.

and you have the dolphins kept in sea worlds small "pond"... you have the bull runs, cat and dog festivals in Asia, you have the rhino being hunted for its horn, elephants for its tusk/ivory, the list goes on and on........not to mention cats, mice, monkeys etc for testing.

The only animals that over-populate are human beings and the non-human animals they control.

Think about it.

We want animals to kill, pet, watch, wear, torture, experiment on, entertain us -

The worst thing that can happen to an animal is for human beings to take a liking to them. Look what happens to dog breeds when a Disney movie makes them popular.

Humans have no moral compass built in. Those who do live their lives ethically are called "bleeding hearts".
There much bigger fish to fry... This deal with canned hunts is pretty much an non issue. Let's concern ourselves on more important issues...

As it should be...

but they suffer

Don't you understand private ownership??
These are just animals...

As it should be...

but they suffer

go and hang this as a trophy....LEAVE ANIMALS ALONE!!!!

As it should be...

but they suffer

The animals are privately owned... You or I have no say in the matter.

The death of a beloved lion named Cecil, at the hands of an American hunter in Zimbabwe, struck a nerve around the globe. The debate about the ethics of that hunt still provokes strong emotions. On Wednesday, October 7th, MSNBC will focus on another side of the industry, the legal side. Blood Lions, a one hour documentary, takes viewers inside the seldom seen world of the “canned hunting” industry in South Africa.

With the help of Ian Michler, safari operator and environmental journalist and Rick Swazey, an American hunter, viewers will see inside the breeding farms where lions are bred for a variety of exploitative revenue streams.

“Our film is an exposé,” says Blood Lions director Bruce Young, “most of the lions exist in appalling conditions, exploited at every stage of their lives. Even the people in South Africa do not know that lions are being bred for the bullet – and that it is totally legal. We want to show the world what is going on, who is involved, the impact on the animals and how much money is being generated by this industry.”

blood_lions_captive_vs_wild_hunt_403x403_090215_v2.jpg

Also known as captive bred lion hunting, canned hunts allow hunters to select their lion ahead of time and complete a hunt in a matter of just three days. Canned hunts provide a cheaper, faster, and a surefire way of hunting predatory animals, compared to wild lion hunts which may last weeks with a much lower probability of success. Americans are largely fueling the industry, with 62% of the trophies being imported into the United States, according to Humane Society International.

The documentary includes the perspective of both proponents of this practice who say that hunting helps preserve Africa’s lion population and conservationists who are quick to dispute that claim.

Catch the premiere of Blood Lions, Wednesday October 7th at 10pm ET on MSNBC.

"Blood Lions" premieres Wednesday October 7th on MSNBC

Blood Lions™ - A Call to Stop Canned Lion Hunting

Canned hunting is very dishonorable to the hunter and to the prey. Actually, canned hunting is not hunting - it's just killing, much like in a slaughterhouse.
Have you ever gone to a seafood restaurant and picked out the lobster you were going to eat?

Same thing.

just a sidenote to the liberals posting here. I see many conservatives like myself value animals and the environment just like you. Please remember MANY conservatives feel the same as I do. Not all of us are against animals, the environment, conservation etc...
In fact none of us are. It's the Left's warped reasoning that if you don't support animal "rights" the global warming myth, etc, then you are against the environment. And if you don't support welfare, you hate poor people, and on it goes.

These people don't know how NOT to lie.

As it should be...

but they suffer

You're a lunatic.

The death of a beloved lion named Cecil, at the hands of an American hunter in Zimbabwe, struck a nerve around the globe. The debate about the ethics of that hunt still provokes strong emotions. On Wednesday, October 7th, MSNBC will focus on another side of the industry, the legal side. Blood Lions, a one hour documentary, takes viewers inside the seldom seen world of the “canned hunting” industry in South Africa.

With the help of Ian Michler, safari operator and environmental journalist and Rick Swazey, an American hunter, viewers will see inside the breeding farms where lions are bred for a variety of exploitative revenue streams.

“Our film is an exposé,” says Blood Lions director Bruce Young, “most of the lions exist in appalling conditions, exploited at every stage of their lives. Even the people in South Africa do not know that lions are being bred for the bullet – and that it is totally legal. We want to show the world what is going on, who is involved, the impact on the animals and how much money is being generated by this industry.”

blood_lions_captive_vs_wild_hunt_403x403_090215_v2.jpg

Also known as captive bred lion hunting, canned hunts allow hunters to select their lion ahead of time and complete a hunt in a matter of just three days. Canned hunts provide a cheaper, faster, and a surefire way of hunting predatory animals, compared to wild lion hunts which may last weeks with a much lower probability of success. Americans are largely fueling the industry, with 62% of the trophies being imported into the United States, according to Humane Society International.

The documentary includes the perspective of both proponents of this practice who say that hunting helps preserve Africa’s lion population and conservationists who are quick to dispute that claim.

Catch the premiere of Blood Lions, Wednesday October 7th at 10pm ET on MSNBC.

"Blood Lions" premieres Wednesday October 7th on MSNBC

Blood Lions™ - A Call to Stop Canned Lion Hunting

Canned hunting is very dishonorable to the hunter and to the prey. Actually, canned hunting is not hunting - it's just killing, much like in a slaughterhouse.
This topic is so 6 months ago. Can we move forward? Liberals don't give a shit about this lion. We know why it's their topic. You're not taking our guns away.

Lions are threatened or endangered in every single population.
Lions are a keystone species.

Educate yourself.
This topic is nothing but another attempt to justify taking guns away from people. You're fooling no one.

I'm bow hunting this weekend. Opening day next month is gun season. A lot harder to shoot a deer with a bow so they allow it now. Very strict rules. And it raises a lot of money. For example I just bought a $6500 quad and my bro just bought $100,000 piece of hunting property and that's just the start of it. All the gear the gas to get up north go out to eat get a hotel room. $1000 crossbows, guns, ammo. The economy would collapse without hunting.

Oh good grief.

Less than 6% of the population hunts. The effect on the economy is negligible.

If you're going to tell the lie that hunters fund actual conservation, forget it. Plinkers contribute more than hunters do.

And, just for the heck of it, why don't you treat your victim to a clean kill instead using a bow/arrow and then pretending to follow the blood trail until you're bored and stop at McDonald's on the way home.

I grew up with hunters ... Sound shots, gut shots, buck fever ... a bunch of impotent idiots who should stay home with their beer instead of trashing our wild areas.
You couldn't be more wrong.

I'm bow hunting this weekend. Opening day next month is gun season. A lot harder to shoot a deer with a bow so they allow it now. Very strict rules. And it raises a lot of money. For example I just bought a $6500 quad and my bro just bought $100,000 piece of hunting property and that's just the start of it. All the gear the gas to get up north go out to eat get a hotel room. $1000 crossbows, guns, ammo. The economy would collapse without hunting.

Oh good grief.

Less than 6% of the population hunts. The effect on the economy is negligible.

If you're going to tell the lie that hunters fund actual conservation, forget it. Plinkers contribute more than hunters do.

And, just for the heck of it, why don't you treat your victim to a clean kill instead using a bow/arrow and then pretending to follow the blood trail until you're bored and stop at McDonald's on the way home.

I grew up with hunters ... Sound shots, gut shots, buck fever ... a bunch of impotent idiots who should stay home with their beer instead of trashing our wild areas.
Do you eat cow?

Killing lions = bad

Killing unborn children = ok

Liberal logic on full display!!

I get SO sick of you trash saying that human babies are not worth more than animals' lives.

WTF is wrong with you?

How dare you compare the two.

I understand you hate that comparison because it shows how utterly stupid your outrage is over a fucking lion. BTW I'm not nor have I ever suggested a human life was not worth more than an animals. But your outrage over dead lions is deafening while your outrage over dead babies is nonexistent.

As it should be...

but they suffer

Because human life is less valuable than an animals life.

Forum List

Back