Blade Runner 2049- Oh My God, that was Awful!!!

Spoilers Maybe

In the ongoing tradition of Harrison Ford's Action heroes of the 1980's being really terrible dads, we have Blade Runner 2049, the sequel to 1982's Blade Runner.

We meet a replicant cop named K who is of a new variety that doesn't rebel unlike those bad ones in the movies. So he tracks down a Runaway Nexus 8, even though in the original movie, we were assured that Nexus 8's only had 4 year lifespans. During the course of this, they discover the bones of Sean Young's character from the original movie, along with the realization she had given birth.

Our hero also has a relationship with a Hologram Girl for some reason. I guess so he is sad when she gets deleted later in the movie.

If you are watching this movie to see Harrison Ford reprise his role as Deckard, you don't get to see him walking around like someone's confused grandpa until 2 hours into an interminably long movie.

So they want to find the child of Deckard and Rachel because this is a replicant that can reproduce, which is supposedly more efficient than just growing them, for some reason. They say they need more replicants to colonize the outer colonies, but of course, there are plenty of people living in squalor, including a child labor sweatshop.

I can't emphasize enough how long, boring, uninteresting this movie was. It's like they watched the original and still had no idea what made it a good movie.

Weren't they Nexus 6's in the original?

Spoilers Maybe

In the ongoing tradition of Harrison Ford's Action heroes of the 1980's being really terrible dads, we have Blade Runner 2049, the sequel to 1982's Blade Runner.

We meet a replicant cop named K who is of a new variety that doesn't rebel unlike those bad ones in the movies. So he tracks down a Runaway Nexus 8, even though in the original movie, we were assured that Nexus 8's only had 4 year lifespans. During the course of this, they discover the bones of Sean Young's character from the original movie, along with the realization she had given birth.

Our hero also has a relationship with a Hologram Girl for some reason. I guess so he is sad when she gets deleted later in the movie.

If you are watching this movie to see Harrison Ford reprise his role as Deckard, you don't get to see him walking around like someone's confused grandpa until 2 hours into an interminably long movie.

So they want to find the child of Deckard and Rachel because this is a replicant that can reproduce, which is supposedly more efficient than just growing them, for some reason. They say they need more replicants to colonize the outer colonies, but of course, there are plenty of people living in squalor, including a child labor sweatshop.

I can't emphasize enough how long, boring, uninteresting this movie was. It's like they watched the original and still had no idea what made it a good movie.

So in the end Replicants are basically Skinjob Cylons from the reboot who are not as competent at rebelling?

I disagree with the OP, by the way. I thought it was excellent, although very long.

The theater I saw it in was also exceptionally loud - one of those "Dolby theaters", and the fact that the bass was heavy enough to shake my seat was a little distracting. Still, I thought it was great.

It's not just critics, it's regular moviegoers as well. For example, IMDB has the movie rated 8.6/10. Fandango fan rating is 4/5 stars. Rotten Tomatoes audience score is 83%. I think this could be a very good movie......for those who are looking for a slow, tense sci-fi drama. Outside of that group, however.....perhaps it's just slow and long.

Here's the thing. I am a fan of the original 1982 movie. Not when it first came out, and you had the awful theatrical version with the Harrison Ford voice overs he intentionally read in a monotone voice hoping they wouldn't use them. (Of course, it so hard to tell with Ford, the guy is a stiff.)

star-wars-han-solo-in-carbonite-life-size-figure-400304-02.jpg

One of his least Stiff performances.

this just dragged on and I have no commitment to any of the characters. I think the only one I liked was the hologram.

I'm debating whether to see it this week. Never saw the original.

Though I like Harrison Ford. He's self deprecating.

And there was a hilarious interview with him and Ryan Gosling on British TV.

if you haven't seen the original, you'll have no clue as to what is going on.

If you seen the original, you will have some clue as to what is going on, but it will still be an unwatchable mess.

if you haven't seen the original, you'll have no clue as to what is going on.

If you seen the original, you will have some clue as to what is going on, but it will still be an unwatchable mess.

That bad?

"Blade Runner 2049- Oh My God, that was Awful!!!"

That seems to be the consensus.

This thread is actually the first time I've seen someone who saw the movie say bad things about it. So far the few reviews or opinions I've seen have been overwhelmingly positive. However, I haven't read all that much yet. Over on the comicbookmovie.com website, the posters love the movie.

I remember some movie from a few years back, someone went to Mars, I forget the actual name. But the movie was panned massively. I watched it and thought it was actually okay. Critics like to have their power, and often get it wrong.

It's not just critics, it's regular moviegoers as well. For example, IMDB has the movie rated 8.6/10. Fandango fan rating is 4/5 stars. Rotten Tomatoes audience score is 83%. I think this could be a very good movie......for those who are looking for a slow, tense sci-fi drama. Outside of that group, however.....perhaps it's just slow and long. :)

Well it's not Fast and Furious Fucked Up 5, which is a massive bonus.

This thread is actually the first time I've seen someone who saw the movie say bad things about it. So far the few reviews or opinions I've seen have been overwhelmingly positive. However, I haven't read all that much yet. Over on the comicbookmovie.com website, the posters love the movie.

I remember some movie from a few years back, someone went to Mars, I forget the actual name. But the movie was panned massively. I watched it and thought it was actually okay. Critics like to have their power, and often get it wrong.

It's not just critics, it's regular moviegoers as well. For example, IMDB has the movie rated 8.6/10. Fandango fan rating is 4/5 stars. Rotten Tomatoes audience score is 83%. I think this could be a very good movie......for those who are looking for a slow, tense sci-fi drama. Outside of that group, however.....perhaps it's just slow and long. :)

The Fast and Furious movies are bad, but not as bad as the Transformers movies. :p

The Fast and Furious movies are bad, but not as bad as the Transformers movies. :p

Well, you've just pointed out the two most successful foreign movies in China. Beware, they'll just grow and grow as China gets richer and richer. It's what happens when you educated people without educating them.

Well, you've just pointed out the two most successful foreign movies in China. Beware, they'll just grow and grow as China gets richer and richer. It's what happens when you educated people without educating them.

I'm not opposed to fairly mindless popcorn, summer-blockbuster style movies. The Transformers movies are just poor quality even in that category. I honestly don't know why they get so many asses in the seats; I would think audiences would both be tired of them and have better popcorn fare to watch. :dunno:

I'm not opposed to fairly mindless popcorn, summer-blockbuster style movies. The Transformers movies are just poor quality even in that category. I honestly don't know why they get so many asses in the seats; I would think audiences would both be tired of them and have better popcorn fare to watch. :dunno:

Why Transformers 5 Is Going To Be Just Fine At The Box Office, Despite Its Domestic Performance

"It hasn't been a great week for Michael Bay's Transformers: The Last Knight here in the United States. The movie has not only received the worst reviews of the entire franchise (a fairly impressive feat, all things considered), but it's also on pace to have the worst domestic opening of the five films released so far."

Yep, Americans thought it was trash.

"the sci-fi franchise is still having no problem finding an audience in China. Transformers 5 just debuted in the country to the fourth biggest opening day in the country's cinematic history."

4th most popular film ever in China.

That's where the money is, that's what they're whoring themselves for. The US market won't matter much in the future.

I'm trying to get tickets tonight.
Here's hoping I disagree with you.

By the way...Deckard was definitely a Replicant in the original...the last scene makes that clear.

Why Transformers 5 Is Going To Be Just Fine At The Box Office, Despite Its Domestic Performance

"It hasn't been a great week for Michael Bay's Transformers: The Last Knight here in the United States. The movie has not only received the worst reviews of the entire franchise (a fairly impressive feat, all things considered), but it's also on pace to have the worst domestic opening of the five films released so far."

"the sci-fi franchise is still having no problem finding an audience in China. Transformers 5 just debuted in the country to the fourth biggest opening day in the country's cinematic history."

That's where the money is, that's what they're whoring themselves for. The US market won't matter much in the future.

The US is still the biggest single movie market as far as I know. Even were China to become the biggest, the US would still remain a close second IMO. Barring a collapse of the US economy, the market will continue to matter.

The US is still the biggest single movie market as far as I know. Even were China to become the biggest, the US would still remain a close second IMO. Barring a collapse of the US economy, the market will continue to matter.

I kind of agree, but the problem is when they change a movie as to not offend the Chinese.

You know, like turning the Ancient One in Doctor Strange into a White Woman because keeping him a Tibetan Monk like he was in the comic book would have offended China!

It will matter, but China will matter more. In the US they don't make movies they think will do well in the UK. They think about their main market. When China takes over that main market, they US will become less important.

Forum List

Back