Bladerunner 2049 ... big disappointment

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Let's just say that somewhere in the third hour of the movie, I was thinking, "Is this thing ever going to end?"

*WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!!!*

The reason this movie is not making much money is because it is a bad movie. It's really that simple.

The BIG SURPRISE, the one they've been keeping under wraps all this time, is that Rachel the replicant had a baby.

Really, that's it.

I'm sorry, but really that's not the world shaking event that the characters think it is.

I mean, the replicants were never MACHINES, they were artificially created lifeforms. They have all the DNA of a human being, except that they have been designed to be stronger so that they can perform manual labor.

So it's not all that surprising that a lifeform could reproduce sexually, since it was revealed in the last movie that replicants do have sex. They would have to alter the DNA of the replicants to make sure they COULDN'T reproduce.

So what's really surprising in all this is that the bad guys can't figure out how to pull this trick again in their research labs, they have to capture Decker and torture him into telling how he impregnated Rachel (as if he would know the biological trick behind this) and the hero, Officer K, has to save his life so he can meet his daughter.

As an aside, the whole Weinstein scandal has made me all the more aware of the shitty way Hollywood treats women, and this movie is no exception.

In Bladerunner, the hero has a hologram girlfriend who first appears as a 50's housewife, serving him dinner, and it only gets worse from there. Apparently, this woman has been designed to be totally submissive, totally emotionally dependent, and extremely clingy, and the hero enjoys every minute of it.

The only other women characters are the butch police lieutenant and the sociopathic henchman of the bad guy corporate guy and a slinky prostitute. Oh yeah, and then there's the daughter who is trapped in a cage because she has a bad immune system, and she's like the ultimate in feminine because she's happy just to be making memories for replicants.

We get to see a naked woman slashed to death in cold blood so the bad guy can get his sexual jollies, and we get to see a carbon copy of Rachel shot execution style in the head. This kind of anti-woman brutal violence is really over the top. And there's plenty of shots of naked women dancing around or getting fucked in the ass in the middle of a busy downtown street.

Bladerunner 2049 just sucked, and it sucked in lots of little ways. Like the way it's ALWAYS RAINING because it rained in the original. Like the way K's apartment looks just like Decker's down to the square panels in the kitchen that look EXACTLY THE SAME. Giant neon signs EXACTLY THE SAME. Bad guy headquarters STILL A PYRAMID.

So there it is, BAD MOVIE, don't bother to see it...

Let's just say that somewhere in the third hour of the movie, I was thinking, "Is this thing ever going to end?"

The reason this movie is not making much money is because it is a bad movie. It's really that simple.

The BIG SURPRISE, the one they've been keeping under wraps all this time, is that Rachel the replicant had a baby.

Really, that's it.

I'm sorry, but really that's not the world shaking event that the characters think it is.

I mean, the replicants were never MACHINES, they were artificially created lifeforms. They have all the DNA of a human being, except that they have been designed to be stronger so that they can perform manual labor.

So it's not all that surprising that a lifeform could reproduce sexually, since it was revealed in the last movie that replicants do have sex. They would have to alter the DNA of the replicants to make sure they COULDN'T reproduce.

So what's really surprising in all this is that the bad guys can't figure out how to pull this trick again in their research labs, they have to capture Decker and torture him into telling how he impregnated Rachel (as if he would know the biological trick behind this) and the hero, Officer K, has to save his life so he can meet his daughter.

As an aside, the whole Weinstein scandal has made me all the more aware of the shitty way Hollywood treats women, and this movie is no exception.

In Bladerunner, the hero has a hologram girlfriend who first appears as a 50's housewife, serving him dinner, and it only gets worse from there. Apparently, this woman has been designed to be totally submissive, totally emotionally dependent, and extremely clingy, and the hero enjoys every minute of it.

The only other women characters are the butch police lieutenant and the sociopathic henchman of the bad guy corporate guy and a slinky prostitute. Oh yeah, and then there's the daughter who is trapped in a cage because she has a bad immune system, and she's like the ultimate in feminine because she's happy just to be making memories for replicants.

We get to see a naked woman slashed to death in cold blood so the bad guy can get his sexual jollies, and we get to see a carbon copy of Rachel shot execution style in the head. This kind of anti-woman brutal violence is really over the top. And there's plenty of shots of naked women dancing around or getting fucked in the ass in the middle of a busy downtown street.

Bladerunner 2049 just sucked, and it sucked in lots of little ways. Like the way it's ALWAYS RAINING because it rained in the original. Like the way K's apartment looks just like Decker's down to the square panels in the kitchen that look EXACTLY THE SAME. Giant neon signs EXACTLY THE SAME. Bad guy headquarters STILL A PYRAMID.

I thought it was pretty good. Perhaps you expected a big action movie or something, that is not what Blade Runner is. The original was a Sci-fi noir detective movie, and yes it was quite long and boring by today's standards of blockbuster movies with a gazillion explosions and lasers. I thought the setting and mood of the movies was a great and keeping with the original movie. This movie has a lot underneath going on, it really explores the subject of man creating machines, even if they are biological constructs, and how we treat those creations. The humans are so socially isolated from one another as they choose to interact between each other through technology, or even just only interact with technology, which leads to the objectification of people. As you pointed out, everything is about personal satisfaction and gratification. That's the price we pay for using machines to do everything for us. I think it applies a lot to today's world, where people would rather communicate through their iPhones than talk to each other, much less actually meet in person.

I did think it was lame they tried to set up some kind of rebellion story, that's just not what Blade Runner should be about. Other than that, I thought it was pretty cool.

Most professional reviewers I've seen talking about it say it's a really good movie released in the wrong generation. Heavy on exposition & requires a sincere interest in solving plot lines. In a generation of me me me & JJ Abrahms constant explosions it gets left behind because it requires too much thought & doesn't lead the ADHD millennials with hand holding & flashy special effects.

I thought the original was a bore and never managed to sit through it. I nodded off after an hour it was so dull.

You have to be kidding. The original was classic gold

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
So I understand. Ive tried a few times but never quite managed it. One of several "classics" that I still have to see. The new one is a real yawn fest.

I thought the original was a bore and never managed to sit through it. I nodded off after an hour it was so dull.

So I understand. Ive tried a few times but never quite managed it. One of several "classics" that I still have to see. The new one is a real yawn fest.
Take one of your little blue pills & try again

Really, that's it.

They said the first Blade runner was a bore also. It became the highest selling DVD. I think we all need to make our own opinions about this one Blade Runner 2049.

Last edited:

Yeah, I haven't seen the original, but I can confirm the new one sucks donkey cock.

I've never agreed with TT on a single thing. I've watched the original several times thinking I missed something.

I'm in full agreement on this one.

Forum List

Back