Blacks and whites don't know each other well ... at all.

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by John Shaw, Jul 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. John Shaw

John Shaw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,909
    Trouble with this line of thought is, most whites don't believe they've ever "done anything". And they haven't, for the most part. They may benefit from a past that has favored them, but are they actively going out and harming non-white people, specifically because they aren't white? Probably not. So when you say things like that, understandably they're going to bristle at the accusation. What are they supposed to do? Take the advantages they have and throw them away? That's foolishness. Why would you do that to yourself? Just to prove to everyone how noble you are? Come on. You'd laugh at such a person.

When it comes to laws, we have very little to do with them, and paid almost 0 attention to politics until this 2016 election between two circus clowns.

Republicans don't make it difficult for minorities to vote because they hate brown-skinned people; they do it because brown-skinned people don't like them, and don't vote for them. Their old playbook (from before the Trump era) was all about getting Hispanics on board the republican train. They would probably love to get more black people on board. But the democrats have that bloc on lock, for some reason, despite decades of urban poverty that disproportionately affected black folks. And I say all this as someone who doesn't like the republicans any more than he likes democrats. They're equally repugnant in their own special ways.

But the real reason republicans don't talk about black people specifically is because they think black people have no interest in their party and never will. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,306
    Bull shit.

I treat all people as individuals. I assess them as individuals and I find good people and I find assholes. There are white people I don't know and black people I do know.

Color does not matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Iceweasel

Iceweasel Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,224
    You are way off the mark. Republicans make it difficult for brown skinned people to vote? How?

Republicans don't cater to brown, black, female votes because they don't think those things demand separate policies. Democrats are the ones making those an issue. The policies should serve all, not a select group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. John Shaw

John Shaw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,909
    Color doesn't matter? Please. It always matters, for pretty much everything. And, fact of the matter is, black folks get the shit end of the stick almost every time, and even when they have a supposedly "good" stereotype about them, like black men being gods of the bedroom, it's also a double-edged sword that degrades everyone around it.

To say color doesn't matter is quite laughable, I'm afraid.

5. John Shaw

John Shaw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,909
    From what I understand, they do this mostly through gerrymandering and limiting the number of polling locations in minority districts.

As for not seperating people based on gender or color, please; one of their big ticket items is banning or severely limiting abortion. How can you say that with a straight face?

6. IM2

IM2 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,769
    It's funny how you guys think. You want us to ignore racism pretend it no longer exists while you still practice it. We have to have chips on our shoulder but when you guys are expressing all manner of hate and falsehoods about us, you don't have a chip on yours.

7. Iceweasel

Iceweasel Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,224
    I've heard the spin. Democrats redistrict all the time, I'd like to see evidence Republicans limit polling stations. We don't even have any in this state, it's all mail in.

Abortion? I have no clue how that's related to race. Conservative women should embrace abortion to appeal to all women?

8. beagle9

beagle9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,843
    . By moving on, I mean quit letting the demons of the past haunt you or anyone else for that matter. Move on to tackle the new issues, get your piece of the pie, quit belly aching about the past, and look forward to the future. Don't let the collective who are united in the wrong ways drag you or anyone else backwards. Look to connect to groups that have a positive outlook, and stay away from those who seek nothing but vengence against the ghost of the past.

9. beagle9

beagle9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,843
    . No offense taken.

10. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,306
    No, color does not matter to me, not at all.

Maybe you didn't do the smart thing and read my post before replying, maybe you have a reading disability, or, more likely, you are a racist asshole.