Black student admits hanging ‘White Only,’ ‘Black Only’ signs near school bathrooms, water fountains

Yeah, I'm sure she had no idea the kind of circus she would kick off by doing this. Sadly, it probably won't open any of the students' eyes who showed up at this meeting about the problems caused by knee jerk hysteria

And then, Ashley Powell, a black graduate student, stood up in the meeting to admit she had hung the signs, claiming it was part of an “art project,” The Buffalo News reports.

Students were reportedly “outraged” and “walked out” of the meeting. Other students denounced Powell’s project as “racist” and “an act of terrorism.”

Black student admits hanging ‘White Only,’ ‘Black Only’ signs near school bathrooms, water fountains

MOrons, everyone mentioned in the article is a variant of moron.

You can't presume that kids/young people do something like this for the same reason an adult would. Some of us are old enough to remember these signs when they were real. And if not we've been had at least a modicum of historical context. My first impression reading the title was here's a kid trying something for the same reason some of the posts here exist --- to see what would happen and how it would "feel".

And this is confirmed in the article:
According to the News, “the project was for a 400-level art class titled ‘Instillation: Urban Space.’ Powell said the goal of the signs and project was to see what people’s reactions would be to them.”​

I'm not even sure what you think I was presuming.

I read the article. I took the student at her word.

She is moron for thinking that that would be a good idea.

THe students that knee jerked and assumed that it was a racist who did it, are morons.

THe students who thought is was racist even after she gave her moronic art reason are morons.

THe university that let the matter drop because it was art were morons.

what as the UNIVERSITY SUPPOSED to do------execute her. It was OBVIOUSLY just a kind of silly prank------no blood was lost

You're missing the point. The question isn't whether it's a "good" or "bad" idea. It was an investigative idea. It's done to see what would happen. And it surely taught something about that.

It did not show what she wanted it to show.

She did not understand what it showed.

It showed nothing that anyone paying any attention didn't already know.

OUr college campuses are dominated by PC leftists who are as open minded as Stalin and twice as cuddly. Any hint of deviation or even the appearance of deviation from the Lefty party line is met with a social lynching.

She played some strong cards in her defense "art" and "non-white suffering", so she might survive.

So you completely missed the point altogether.
None of this has anything to do with Joe Stalin. Or "leftists". Or even "PC". It's a social experiment. Which apparently flies over your head in its predisposition to comic book fantasies of commies.

SMH
Coral is a little slow. You have to excuse him. Weird how he thinks people seeing a "whites only" sign as racist is something unusual.

"My work directly involves black trauma and non-white suffering. I do not believe that there can be social healing without first coming to terms with and expressing our own pain, rage, and trauma.”

Segregation was a long time ago.

We're kind of bored hearing about it.
No one cares what you are bored hearing about. Did you really think she thought about you?

Then it would be polite for her to have this conversation where those who don't care won't be bothered by her beating a dead horse.

Yeah, I'm sure she had no idea the kind of circus she would kick off by doing this. Sadly, it probably won't open any of the students' eyes who showed up at this meeting about the problems caused by knee jerk hysteria

And then, Ashley Powell, a black graduate student, stood up in the meeting to admit she had hung the signs, claiming it was part of an “art project,” The Buffalo News reports.

Students were reportedly “outraged” and “walked out” of the meeting. Other students denounced Powell’s project as “racist” and “an act of terrorism.”

You can't presume that kids/young people do something like this for the same reason an adult would. Some of us are old enough to remember these signs when they were real. And if not we've been had at least a modicum of historical context. My first impression reading the title was here's a kid trying something for the same reason some of the posts here exist --- to see what would happen and how it would "feel".

According to the News, “the project was for a 400-level art class titled ‘Instillation: Urban Space.’ Powell said the goal of the signs and project was to see what people’s reactions would be to them.”​

THe students that knee jerked and assumed that it was a racist who did it, are morons.

THe students who thought is was racist even after she gave her moronic art reason are morons.

what as the UNIVERSITY SUPPOSED to do------execute her. It was OBVIOUSLY just a kind of silly prank------no blood was lost

Do you think that if a white student did it that they would have left the matter drop?

Having different rules for people based on Race, while being convinced that you are a bastion of " Progressive Diversity Rainbow Goodness" is Moronic.

Do you think that if a white student did it that they would have left the matter drop?

Having different rules for people based on Race, while being convinced that you are a bastion of " Progressive Diversity Rainbow Goodness" is Moronic.

The whole point is that it just causes more racial strife and division. There is absolutely nothing artistic in what was done. Why if a black person saw the signs and went ballistic?

What would have made it a truly epic Art experiment is if she would have disguised herself as White, and waited until Obama,#BLM, Al Sharpton and the rest of America's Race Baiters are raging. Then during a CNN interview, take off the wig and wipe off the makeup...SURPRISE. Now that's Art.

If we had a responsible media, this certainly wouldn't have seen the light of day. But we have a media that is hell bent on taking every single possible Race related event and making it into national news.

If we had a responsible media, this certainly wouldn't have seen the light of day. But we have a media that is hell bent on taking every single possible Race related event and making it into national news.

right----the "ZIONIST CONTROLLED MEDIA" did it--------well----really----media does what media has done for thousands of years------it publishes that which sells

If conservatives could have their way, whites only signs would be legal and enforceable.

Conservatives freed the slaves, liberals put them in chains, live with it. Besides once again you are completely off topic.

Conservatives demanded states rights to preserve and perpetuate slavery. And you're an idiot.

Southern liberal democrats put them all in chains and still do. Your ignorance is sometimes so breathtaking it is amazing you have the guts to even post.

Racism isn't "Liberal", Dumbass. Liberal is expressed in "all men are created equal". You can't be a racist unless you're first conservative.

You can't be Racist unless you are first Conservative? That might be the most ridiculous statement I've read yet on USMB. Do you even think about what you write?

If that's the most ridiculous thing you've read you must have just learned to read today.
Of course it is. A racist wants to keep his race just as it is and resists those revolutionary ideas like biracial breeding and subversive ideas like "all men are created equal". That kind of attitude sure as fuck ain't Liberal philosophy.

Your attempt to obfuscate your original nonsensical statement "You can't be Racist unless you are first Conservative" fails. By your definition ALL Liberals are not and cannot be Racist. That of course is complete nonsense, your POTUS is the most prominent example of that.

Your attempt to obfuscate your original nonsensical statement "You can't be Racist unless you are first Conservative" fails. By your definition ALL Liberals are not and cannot be Racist. That of course is complete nonsense, your POTUS is the most prominent example of that.

That's true, since Liberalism is encapsulated in the phrase "all men are created equal". You can't be a Liberal and also be a racist. It's an oxymoron.

This may help you understand actual Racism as opposed to what you learned in your Liberal philosophy class:
1. There are Liberals who are Racists
2. There are Liberals who are not Racists
3. There are Conservatives who are Racists
4. There are Conservatives who are not Racists

If conservatives could have their way, whites only signs would be legal and enforceable.

Conservatives freed the slaves, liberals put them in chains, live with it. Besides once again you are completely off topic.

Conservatives demanded states rights to preserve and perpetuate slavery. And you're an idiot.

Southern liberal democrats put them all in chains and still do. Your ignorance is sometimes so breathtaking it is amazing you have the guts to even post.

Racism isn't "Liberal", Dumbass. Liberal is expressed in "all men are created equal". You can't be a racist unless you're first conservative.

It is so hilarious when a liberal tries to take the high road and in the very next sentence once again drives into the gutter. If only you could see how truly preposterous is your statement.

You can't be Racist unless you are first Conservative? That might be the most ridiculous statement I've read yet on USMB. Do you even think about what you write?

Was that another of those rhetorical questions?

It is so hilarious when a liberal tries to take the high road and in the very next sentence once again drives into the gutter. If only you could see how truly preposterous is your statement.

Funny then that no one can refute it.

A variant of the No True Scotsman Fallacy.

An easily disproved fallacy.

For example the common lib belief that Whites of today "owe" blacks for the past injustices done upon them by slavers.

This gives WHites a racial characteristic of collective blood guilt, a racial characteristic that makes them morally INFERIOR to blacks.

THat's racism, and that makes them racist liberals.

It did not show what she wanted it to show.

She did not understand what it showed.

It showed nothing that anyone paying any attention didn't already know.

OUr college campuses are dominated by PC leftists who are as open minded as Stalin and twice as cuddly. Any hint of deviation or even the appearance of deviation from the Lefty party line is met with a social lynching.

She played some strong cards in her defense "art" and "non-white suffering", so she might survive.

None of this has anything to do with Joe Stalin. Or "leftists". Or even "PC". It's a social experiment. Which apparently flies over your head in its predisposition to comic book fantasies of commies.

SMH
Coral is a little slow. You have to excuse him. Weird how he thinks people seeing a "whites only" sign as racist is something unusual.

"My work directly involves black trauma and non-white suffering. I do not believe that there can be social healing without first coming to terms with and expressing our own pain, rage, and trauma.”

No one cares what you are bored hearing about. Did you really think she thought about you?

Then it would be polite for her to have this conversation where those who don't care won't be bothered by her beating a dead horse.
She specializes in making people like you uncomfortable. If you dont like it....dont look.

SMH

She specializes in making people like you uncomfortable. If you dont like it....dont look.

NOt uncomfortable, bored, maybe annoyed.

Forum List

Back