Shameful: ‘Ruby Bridges’ Film Banned From School Because White Parents Feeling Some Kind of Way

If a six year old is capable of putting up with the abuse
Other six year olds should be capable of learning how brave a six year old can be
Of course not. Ruby Bridges didn't act on her own. She was told what to do by the adults in her life. Adults, by the way, that knew exactly what the six year old would be facing. The function of Ruby Bridges was to be subject to abuse to invigorate the civil rights movement. The motivation of those adults is better understood by a more mature child.

Even though the Disney film “Ruby Bridges” has been shown during Black History Month in Florida’s Pinellas County for years, it was recently pulled because a parent was worried that it would teach white children about the racism that Black children faced.

Emily Conklin, whose child attends North Shore Elementary parent, refused to let the student see “Ruby Bridges” when it was shown earlier this month. Conklin believed that the movie was inappropriate for second graders.

She made a formal complaint on March 6, stating that the use of racial epithets and images of white folks who harassed Ruby as she walked into a school will allow white children to see the racist history of segregation.

School officials for Pinellas decided to ban the movie at the St. Petersburg school until a review committee can evaluate it. This is ultimately a result of Florida parents having more say in deciding what children can see and read in schools.

In an open letter, Ric Davis—who is president of Concerned Organization for Quality Education for Black Students—wrote: “Many from historically marginalized communities are asking whether this so-called integrated education system in Pinellas County can even serve the diverse community fairly and equitably.”

Why do some folks want to hide American History?

Why do you only want your children to see the good parts of History?
The right-wing war on facts and the truth continues.

Of course not. Ruby Bridges didn't act on her own. She was told what to do by the adults in her life. Adults, by the way, that knew exactly what the six year old would be facing. The function of Ruby Bridges was to be subject to abuse to invigorate the civil rights movement. The motivation of those adults is better understood by a more mature child.

So blacks should not have tried to integrate white schools because whites did not know how to behave.

Now you are complaining that todays children should not learn about that behavior by whites

NO SURPRISE......
MSNBC misquoted the women's complaint.
She DID NOT complain "it would make children see the racism of segregation"... I wasn't buying that, and sure enough if you go to the source (Tampa Bay Newspaper) - she said "it might result in children thinking white people hate black people".

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Once again - the corporate news priority is to divide and create hate.

she said "it might result in children thinking white people hate black people".

Ya think?

Maybe if there was evidence of white parents rallying to defend a six year old black child, you might have a complaint

So blacks should not have tried to integrate white schools because whites did not know how to behave.

Now you are complaining that todays children should not learn about that behavior by whites
Children learning about this Era should be old enough to understand what was happening and why. This precludes six year olds. The children should be older than 8.

Ruby Bridges wasn't brave in the slightest. She was lied to. Why was she alone? Six black children were selected at attend all white schools. Four six year olds went to class in an all white school without incident. The boy who was going with Bridges elected not to go on that day but to wait.
In the words of the adult Ruby Bridges
"I was really not aware that I was going into a white school,” she says. “My parents never explained it to me. I stumbled into crowds of people, and living here in New Orleans, being accustomed to Mardi Gras, the huge celebration that takes place in the city every year, I really thought that’s what it was that day. There was no need for me to be afraid of that.”

Since she wasn't in any way afraid, she wasn't brave. Save these contradictions for older children.

Where's the movie of Africans enslaving their own people and selling them to Europeans?

That's true history.

But I suspect someone would complain if it were shown to second graders.

Children learning about this Era should be old enough to understand what was happening and why. This precludes six year olds. The children should be older than 8.

Ruby Bridges wasn't brave in the slightest. She was lied to. Why was she alone? Six black children were selected at attend all white schools. Four six year olds went to class in an all white school without incident. The boy who was going with Bridges elected not to go on that day but to wait.
In the words of the adult Ruby Bridges
"I was really not aware that I was going into a white school,” she says. “My parents never explained it to me. I stumbled into crowds of people, and living here in New Orleans, being accustomed to Mardi Gras, the huge celebration that takes place in the city every year, I really thought that’s what it was that day. There was no need for me to be afraid of that.”

Since she wasn't in any way afraid, she wasn't brave. Save these contradictions for older children.
Ruby heard the threats, she saw the daily mob.
It wasn’t just one day.

She was not integrated into a white school. She had a personal teacher who was white who privately taught her in a small room for many years.

Still, many white parents pulled their children from the school and many white teachers resigned

Where's the movie of Africans enslaving their own people and selling them to Europeans?

That's true history.

But I suspect someone would complain if it were shown to second graders.
It was in Roots

Ruby heard the threats, she saw the daily mob.
It wasn’t just one day.

She was not integrated into a white school. She had a personal teacher who was white who privately taught her in a small room for many years.

Still, many white parents pulled their children from the school and many white teachers resigned
The subject belongs with older children.

Ya think?

Maybe if there was evidence of white parents rallying to defend a six year old black child, you might have a complaint
I offered no opinion, and did not reveal a "reaction".
I found it difficult to believe a parent would say "children might learn how racist segregation was". That doesn't make sense.
And I was correct. She didn't say that at all.
Shame on MSNBC grossly misquoting what she said to make it look more racist.

I offered no opinion, and did not reveal a "reaction".
I found it difficult to believe a parent would say "children might learn how racist segregation was". That doesn't make sense.
And I was correct. She didn't say that at all.
Shame on MSNBC grossly misquoting what she said to make it look more racist.

Segregation was not racist?
What was it then?

The Ruby Bridges story brings home to children how bad that segregation racism was
Explaining to children that blacks had to ride in the back of the bus does not seem that bad to children. But seeing a child their age being screamed at by a mob of adults brings home how bad that racism was.

Segregation was not racist?
What was it then?

The Ruby Bridges story brings home to children how bad that segregation racism was
Explaining to children that blacks had to ride in the back of the bus does not seem that bad to children. But seeing a child their age being screamed at by a mob of adults brings home how bad that racism was.
What?
Are you even trying to listen to me?
MSNBC misquoted her. Pretty outright.
The context was FOR 2ND GRADERS. Context is important. Words matter. Meanings matter.
Second graders are not going to understand the movie is about segregation. They are not nearly old enough to have that kind of understanding. She has a point that, at only 7-8 years old, they are likely to just see a movie where white people hate black people. She provides a valid argument to waiting until the kids are a little older so they can understand the context.

Not true... The White slave trader is there when Kunta Kinte is captured.

I own it, and I just watched the scene.
That scene was bullshit. A few white guys go into tribal areas to capture warriors? They weren't that stupid. Easier and safer to buy slaves from warring tribes.

Forum List

Back