Shameful: ‘Ruby Bridges’ Film Banned From School Because White Parents Feeling Some Kind of Way

That scene was bullshit. A few white guys go into tribal areas to capture warriors? They weren't that stupid. Easier and safer to buy slaves from warring tribes.
White people NEVER - NOT EVEN ONCE - entered into Africa to capture slaves.
NEVER.
They would have likely died from disease in the first week. And they knew that.
Virtually 100% of black slaves were captured by other blacks.

TO RECAP......

This is just another example of corporate media out to keep us divided and produce hate and division.
The parent made the complaint about she did not believe 2nd graders were old enough to understand what the movie is about, and only think it is a movie where white people hate black people.
She has a point. One I agree with.
MSNBC spun what the woman said to make it look like she doesn't want kids to know segregation was bad.
That is fucking stupid. She didn't mean that at all, never said it. Never even hinted in saying that.
She said - "second graders may only see a movie where white people hate black people",
Which is the OPPOSITE of what MSNBC said she said.

One morning when Kunta is cutting wood to make a drum, he is ambushed by slatees (black slave traders), and is knocked unconscious and taken prisoner.

I just watched it Dude...it's right here on my phone. The White slaver is right there... Making it look like the Blacks that capture Kunta Kinte are either owned by the White slaver or are employed directly by him while they all wear white man clothes.

I own it... I've seen it 20 times.

Watch it for yourself...

vvvv

Did their kids go to school with Ruby?
Oh now you're changing it?

I know that Eisenhower was a white parent. I assume that some of the National Guard who risked their lives protecting the children were white parents also.

Eisenhower was a republican, and certainly not the first Republican president who had to send troops into a heavily Democrat state to protect the rights of black people.

That is the history children should be learning. Not white folks bad, black folks good.

That scene was bullshit. A few white guys go into tribal areas to capture warriors? They weren't that stupid. Easier and safer to buy slaves from warring tribes.

It was...but were it portrayed as it really happened...there would definately be complaints...even though it would be historically accurate.

Oh now you're changing it?

I know that Eisenhower was a white parent. I assume that some of the National Guard who risked their lives protecting the children were white parents also.

Eisenhower was a republican, and certainly not the first Republican president who had to send troops into a heavily Democrat state to protect the rights of black people.

That is the history children should be learning. Not white folks bad, black folks good.

Lets be straight
The South maintained slaves for two hundred years before the Democratic Party was formed. Its racism was well entrenched before the Democrats formed a party

If you want to teach children that slavery and Jim Crow was a regional issue and not all whites supported it. By all means do so. But the North had its own racial issues

I just watched it Dude...it's right here on my phone. The White slaver is right there... Making it look like the Blacks that capture Kunta Kinte are either owned by the White slaver or are employed directly by him while they all wear white man clothes.

Watch it for yourself...

vvvv

hmmm…..looks like he was captured by blacks

Refuting the claim that movies don’t show blacks were involved in the slave trade. See post 94

Even though the Disney film “Ruby Bridges” has been shown during Black History Month in Florida’s Pinellas County for years, it was recently pulled because a parent was worried that it would teach white children about the racism that Black children faced.

Emily Conklin, whose child attends North Shore Elementary parent, refused to let the student see “Ruby Bridges” when it was shown earlier this month. Conklin believed that the movie was inappropriate for second graders.

She made a formal complaint on March 6, stating that the use of racial epithets and images of white folks who harassed Ruby as she walked into a school will allow white children to see the racist history of segregation.

School officials for Pinellas decided to ban the movie at the St. Petersburg school until a review committee can evaluate it. This is ultimately a result of Florida parents having more say in deciding what children can see and read in schools.

In an open letter, Ric Davis—who is president of Concerned Organization for Quality Education for Black Students—wrote: “Many from historically marginalized communities are asking whether this so-called integrated education system in Pinellas County can even serve the diverse community fairly and equitably.”

Why do some folks want to hide American History?

Why do you only want your children to see the good parts of History?

Hmm, you weren't asking this same question when monuments were being vandalized and torn down, hypocrisy much?

Watch it for yourself...

vvvv

Wow... thanks for posting this.
I barely remember "ROOTS" and didn't know it was so historically inaccurate.
Not surprised at all.

hmmm…..looks like he was captured by blacks

Refuting the claim that movies don’t show blacks were involved in the slave trade. See post 94
Lies.

You'll never be trusted as long as you can't admit when you're wrong...

What I actually said...

Where's the movie of Africans enslaving their own people and selling them to Europeans?

Is that what you saw?

I saw a white slaver leading blacks, perhaps slaves themselves, to capture a new slave.

Which isn't at all what actually happened historically.

African tribes independently enslaved other Africans and had them in cages on the beach waiting to be sold to Europeans and others.

But you knew that...just too insecure to admit you were wrong.

It's okay. You lie constantly and consistently. I don't actually except anything else from you.

Lies.

You'll never be trusted as long as you can't admit when you're wrong...

What I actually said...

Is that what you saw?

I saw a white slaver leading blacks, perhaps slaves themselves, to capture a new slave.

Which isn't at all what actually happened historically.

African tribes independently enslaved other Africans and had them in cages on the beach waiting to be sold to Europeans and others.

But you knew that...just too insecure to admit you were wrong.

It's okay. You lie constantly and consistently. I don't actually except anything else from you.
I saw one white and four blacks with the blacks chasing him down

I saw one white and four blacks with the blacks chasing him down
Which never happened.
Slave buyers never entered the interior of Africa to trap slaves.
A white man employing black people wearing white man's clothes is a direct lie intended to deflect from the truth - that it was 100% black tribes that captured and sold blacks to bidders on the shore lines.
Much like how MSNBC completely changed the narrative of the movie ban. Because the real reason makes sense.

Lets be straight
The South maintained slaves for two hundred years before the Democratic Party was formed. Its racism was well entrenched before the Democrats formed a party
. Yes of course.

Because in those early 200 years, there was no question that slaveholders would be allowed to keep holding and importing slaves. The Democratic Party was only needed by slaveholders when non-democrats wanted to restrict the slave trade.

So they formed a party dedicated to preserving slavery. It was those Constitution framing proto-democrats who put in the compromise for counting black Americans as only a fraction of a person for purposes of allotting Congressional representatives. They also insisted on the protection for the international slave trade.
If you want to teach children that slavery and Jim Crow was a regional issue and not all whites supported it. By all means do so. But the North had its own racial issues
Yes, and not all Southerners supported Jim Crow or slavery either. Assigning evil to People by demographics is about the most Un-American thing anyone could do. When it is a tax-funded public school doing it all the worst.

Yes, and not all Southerners supported Jim Crow or slavery either

Very, very few southerners were abolitionists

Those who did not support slavery kept their mouths shut.
Any Southerner who openly supported blacks voting or civil rights was ostracized or worse

Very, very few southerners were abolitionists

Those who did not support slavery kept their mouths shut.
Any Southerner who openly supported blacks voting or civil rights was ostracized or worse
There is nothing inherently Southern about supporting slavery, and you have no evidence that very few Southerners were abolitionists.

There is nothing inherently racist in being white, but that is what a seven year old would take away from a movie like that.

There is nothing inherently Southern about supporting slavery, and you have no evidence that very few Southerners were abolitionists.
Supporting Slavery was VERY SOUTHERN
So much so that they created a country to ensure slavery endured forever

You are welcome to identify a single noted abolitionist from the South

Forum List

Back