Taunted for being Black, a student fought back, civil rights complaint says. The 30-second fight derailed her life.

Jul 26, 2010
North Carolina
Reports of racist bullying at Slaton High School are part of a pattern of discrimination in and around Lubbock, Texas, civil rights groups say. They’re filing complaints and calling on the federal government to investigate.

SLATON, Texas — The Black girl’s hands were shaking as she approached a white classmate in gym class.

“I told you,” Autumn Roberson-Manahan said, her voice quivering, “to stop using that word.”

Autumn, a 17-year-old senior at Slaton High School, said she’d asked the boy four days in a row to stop saying the N-word in class. And for four consecutive days, according to Autumn and a half-dozen other students later interviewed by the school principal, the boy had disregarded her pleas.

He’d said the slur while talking trash on the basketball court, Autumn recalled: “Oh! I’m ballin’ on y’all n----s.” And while cleaning up at the end of class: “These dumb n----s left the balls out again.” That day, Oct. 27, he’d said it again, smirking after having dribbled past a student and hitting a jump shot, Autumn said.

By then, Autumn, a straight-A student and one of only two dozen Black students at her small-town high school outside Lubbock, had been complaining about racial harassment involving three other classmates since the second week of school, according to interviews with Autumn and her family, messages they sent to administrators and a civil rights complaint filed Monday with the U.S. Department of Education. In September, she’d secretly recorded two boys in class calling her the N-word. When the alleged harassment continued, Autumn told administrators she was struggling to focus on her schoolwork. Her parents tried to intervene, demanding to speak with the principal and writing to the superintendent.

But the racist comments didn’t stop, according to the federal complaint.

This is in 2022, unbelievable.

Keep telling us though there is no racism in America anymore, all of that ended in the 60s.

Struth what do you think about this story?

Slaton administrators sentenced her to 45 days in an alternative school for students with severe disciplinary problems, according to the complaint and records reviewed by NBC News. Distraught and convinced that her future was ruined, Autumn’s family said she ran away from home last month and made a plan to kill herself. Now out of the hospital and recovering, the girl who’d entered this school year hoping to be named valedictorian is no longer sure she’s going to graduate on time.

“They took my beautiful baby girl — who my husband and I worked so hard to mold and love and support — and they broke her,” Autumn’s mother, JaQuatta Manahan, said in an interview. “They didn’t protect her. They cast her aside like she was trash.”

Slaton administrators sentenced her to 45 days in an alternative school for students with severe disciplinary problems, according to the complaint and records reviewed by NBC News. Distraught and convinced that her future was ruined, Autumn’s family said she ran away from home last month and made a plan to kill herself. Now out of the hospital and recovering, the girl who’d entered this school year hoping to be named valedictorian is no longer sure she’s going to graduate on time.

“They took my beautiful baby girl — who my husband and I worked so hard to mold and love and support — and they broke her,” Autumn’s mother, JaQuatta Manahan, said in an interview. “They didn’t protect her. They cast her aside like she was trash.”

If there's nothing more to the story this is clearly heinous. Teachers are--or SHOULD be--trained on bullying yearly. The term itself is overused but this certainly applied.

Reports of racist bullying at Slaton High School are part of a pattern of discrimination in and around Lubbock, Texas, civil rights groups say. They’re filing complaints and calling on the federal government to investigate.

SLATON, Texas — The Black girl’s hands were shaking as she approached a white classmate in gym class.

“I told you,” Autumn Roberson-Manahan said, her voice quivering, “to stop using that word.”

Autumn, a 17-year-old senior at Slaton High School, said she’d asked the boy four days in a row to stop saying the N-word in class. And for four consecutive days, according to Autumn and a half-dozen other students later interviewed by the school principal, the boy had disregarded her pleas.

He’d said the slur while talking trash on the basketball court, Autumn recalled: “Oh! I’m ballin’ on y’all n----s.” And while cleaning up at the end of class: “These dumb n----s left the balls out again.” That day, Oct. 27, he’d said it again, smirking after having dribbled past a student and hitting a jump shot, Autumn said.

By then, Autumn, a straight-A student and one of only two dozen Black students at her small-town high school outside Lubbock, had been complaining about racial harassment involving three other classmates since the second week of school, according to interviews with Autumn and her family, messages they sent to administrators and a civil rights complaint filed Monday with the U.S. Department of Education. In September, she’d secretly recorded two boys in class calling her the N-word. When the alleged harassment continued, Autumn told administrators she was struggling to focus on her schoolwork. Her parents tried to intervene, demanding to speak with the principal and writing to the superintendent.

Keep telling us though there is no racism in America anymore, all of that ended in the 60s.

Kids name calling each other is newsworthy these days? :laugh:

If words scare her or offend her, she shouldn't be in public. She should be hiding in her bedroom closet like all the other snowflakes and libtards.
THATS what they should be teaching her!!! They're just WORDS. They can only "hurt" you if YOU let them!

I don't condone bullying at all, and I would have said something to the principal about the bully, or reported him to the schoolboard if I were a student.
Teachers CAN'T do anything because the parents have made SURE that all power has been taken away from them. Since the early 90's, teachers have been nothing more than overpaid babysitters. You can't have it both ways. Either teachers HAVE the power to control their classes and students, or they don't. Period.

And the whining, snivelling Libtard parents saw to it back in the 80's, that ALL power was removed from the teachers in ALL public schools.

If words scare her or offend her, she shouldn't be in public. She should be hiding in her bedroom closet like all the other snowflakes and libtards.
THATS what they should be teaching her!!! They're just WORDS. They can only "hurt" you if YOU let them!

I don't condone bullying at all, and I would have said something to the principal about the bully, or reported him to the schoolboard if I were a student.
Teachers CAN'T do anything because the parents have made SURE that all power has been taken away from them. Since the early 90's, teachers have been nothing more than overpaid babysitters. You can't have it both ways. Either teachers HAVE the power to control their classes and students, or they don't. Period.

And the whining, snivelling Libtard parents saw to it back in the 80's, that ALL power was removed from the teachers in ALL public schools.
African Americans had a lot to do with it also. Looking for any reason why children were not doing well in schools. The only thing that has improved and not regressed is the cost of the public school system. Perhaps it is time for a new approach.

So there are still some racists in the world?
Wow, that's really shocking.
Racists come in every size & color. White, black, Hispanic, Asian, Arab, etc..., they all have their share of racists
It doesn't make it right no matter the source but it is still nowhere the problem you & your fellow race baiters inflate it to be superbadbreath.
Some kids are just raised wrong & using racist CRT BS to teach kids that all whites are bad will just exasperate the problem

jackhandeyprejudices.jpg

If (if!) the reports in the accusation are true, then there is absolutely NO excuse for what happened to that girl.

The boys who reportedly used that word should be severely punished. Maybe like being sent to a high school where Caucasians are in the minority. They would learn a lesson that they would never, ever forget.

No one has to like any ethnicity in this strange country. But no one has the right to ridicule or insult any other ethnicity. Just keep away from them!!! And in the school described in the article, since the school is overwhelmingly Caucasian or (or Hispanic?), it would be easy to do so.

So someone says, that she said that some kid used the N word and that is why she decided to physically assault the boy - and we are to believe she shouldn't be punished for the assault?
And feel sorry for her?
:rolleyes:
I am going to go out on a limb and say her own friends use the word all the time.

At any rate, if the other kid was calling her that, yes he is wrong. But so are many other name calling that occurs every single day in every single school across the entire globe. Everyday.
But - oh - if the person getting the name calling is black - they shouldn't be punished for beating a person up for it.

yeah

If (if!) the reports in the accusation are true, then there is absolutely NO excuse for what happened to that girl.

The boys who reportedly used that word should be severely punished. Maybe like being sent to a high school where Caucasians are in the minority. They would learn a lesson that they would never, ever forget.

No one has to like any ethnicity in this strange country. But no one has the right to ridicule or insult any other ethnicity. Just keep away from them!!! And in the school described in the article, since the school is overwhelmingly Caucasian or (or Hispanic?), it would be easy to do so.
You want to send whites to a black school where blacks will gang up on whites and violently assault them. Nobody ganged up on this black girl and violently assaulted her. Also the school is 66% hispanic fuck face.

This coming from a snowflake who believes that teaching America's actual history is CRT and will hurt and damage their delicate white babies.

#LOLGOP #TooFunny #CLASSIC

It’s too bad we don’t have school choice. If a school administration is uncooperative and unhelpful school choice gives parents the power to pick another school.

Forum List

Back