Black Lives Do Matter

My assumption is that the people involved in the BLM leadership are privileged, bored, and looking for fame.

How is anyone supposed to have a reasonable conversation when you've gone out of your way to pretend that this is all about people sharing the same negative character traits and their issues being "fake".

You'll never talk about the issue, you'll always attempt to make it personal to avoid it...always

Also not sure why you put the word “fake” in quotes as I never said that their issues were fake. In fact, I said that prejudice in police can lead to unjust killings.

It’s real alright. Take this analogy, polio is real, there were about 30 cases worldwide last year. Cancer is also real, in the US alone there was about 1.6 million new cases of cancer last year. Which one should we focus most of our effort on? This doesn’t mean polio isn’t tragic when it occurs it just means there’s a greater opportunity for contributing to the common good through fighting cancer.

Charity should be about serving the greater good. Not which cause gets the most media attention and therefore the best opportunity to get your name out there.

So to reiterate, you believe police abuses are real it' just that anyone who talks about it with another person listening then they are attention whores.

Sounds reasonable.

I want to start by saying I’m all for criminal justice reform (especially losing the incarceration rate in the US). I’m all for cops going to jail when they do something illegal. However, I don’t understand how the cause entitled “Black Lives Matter” could be about police brutality. I understand that some police are prejudice and that can lead to unjust killings. The thing is, these unjust killings aren’t even close to the number one problem plaguing black communities. Technically it’s heart disease, then cancer. Even assault (about 90% of which is black on black according to the FBI) makes the top ten list of killers of African Americans. And what about the things that ruin families and communities even if they don’t necessarily cause death, such as incarceration/recidivism rates, unemployment/underemployment and selling/using drugs. My question is, if BLM really wanted to help the black community why would they not attack these issues instead of the relatively small, but highly publicized, issue of racially fueled police brutality. My assumption is that the people involved in the BLM leadership are privileged, bored, and looking for fame. In my opinion, all the money that is going towards BLM could be going to actually saving lives and making the world a better place. Please, someone tell me why money is better spent on a problem that affects hundreds when the same money could be used much more efficiently to address a problem that affects hundreds of thousands?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Let me explain something

Are more black people killed by heart disease than by the Police.

Yes. But guess what ?

That would have been true 100 years ago.

That would have been true under apartheid in South Africa. That would have been true under Jim Crow segregation in the USA.

But would the black heart disease argument been a good reason to excuse for the KKK hangings of black men ? Would the black heart disease argument been a good reason to excuse the kilings of black people by Police 100 years ago ?

No. So why is it now ?

Secondly the black people killed by black people will always be higher than black ppl killed by the police. Why ? Because those are the people you live around. The same way the white on white killings will be higher than police on white.

When ISIS killed white people in Paris or 9-11 Twin Towers you did not hear people say "Well, more white people kill white people, than muslims""

That would have been just as true.

The police are held to a higher standard. That's why police killings of black people cause the commotion that they do. Because if you have the power to kill me, then you better believe I'm gonna hold you to a higher standard.

It's the same way a teacher can't be late often for their class and then turn around and say "Well some of you are late too"

With great power comes greater responsibility. They are the rules.

First of all the Spider-Man quote was awesome. Second, where was this argument from you from the beginning? This a a great argument.

From my original post I never stated that police brutality was ok. Whenever it happens it is a terrible tragedy. I believe that there should be people looking out for this type of injustice and working on fixing it. Nothing excuses a murder. Period.

However, I do not believe that all the resources used on BLM are appropriate when looking at the extent of the issue. My argument isn’t changing, there are more important issues facing the black community than police brutality. And many of them even when we don’t look at the number of occurrences are much more severe. Take incarceration rates for example. Not only does going to jail more than likely ruin the person who’s going to jails life but if he has kids, a spouse, they’re also now at a huge disadvantage. Systematic racism that effects the courts also effects employment and induces poverty leading to high crime rates in the black community.

THESE things happen every day and not to just 40 people a year. THESE things should be the focus of a group that claims to help an entire community. Instead BLM chooses to go with the big issue in the media that is really not so prevalent in the real world. They do this out of selfishness and thirst for attention.

I want to start by saying I’m all for criminal justice reform (especially losing the incarceration rate in the US). I’m all for cops going to jail when they do something illegal. However, I don’t understand how the cause entitled “Black Lives Matter” could be about police brutality. I understand that some police are prejudice and that can lead to unjust killings. The thing is, these unjust killings aren’t even close to the number one problem plaguing black communities. Technically it’s heart disease, then cancer. Even assault (about 90% of which is black on black according to the FBI) makes the top ten list of killers of African Americans. And what about the things that ruin families and communities even if they don’t necessarily cause death, such as incarceration/recidivism rates, unemployment/underemployment and selling/using drugs. My question is, if BLM really wanted to help the black community why would they not attack these issues instead of the relatively small, but highly publicized, issue of racially fueled police brutality. My assumption is that the people involved in the BLM leadership are privileged, bored, and looking for fame. In my opinion, all the money that is going towards BLM could be going to actually saving lives and making the world a better place. Please, someone tell me why money is better spent on a problem that affects hundreds when the same money could be used much more efficiently to address a problem that affects hundreds of thousands?

Let me explain something

Yes. But guess what ?

That would have been true under apartheid in South Africa. That would have been true under Jim Crow segregation in the USA.

But would the black heart disease argument been a good reason to excuse for the KKK hangings of black men ? Would the black heart disease argument been a good reason to excuse the kilings of black people by Police 100 years ago ?

No. So why is it now ?

Secondly the black people killed by black people will always be higher than black ppl killed by the police. Why ? Because those are the people you live around. The same way the white on white killings will be higher than police on white.

When ISIS killed white people in Paris or 9-11 Twin Towers you did not hear people say "Well, more white people kill white people, than muslims""

The police are held to a higher standard. That's why police killings of black people cause the commotion that they do. Because if you have the power to kill me, then you better believe I'm gonna hold you to a higher standard.

It's the same way a teacher can't be late often for their class and then turn around and say "Well some of you are late too"

First of all the Spider-Man quote was awesome. Second, where was this argument from you from the beginning? This a a great argument.

From my original post I never stated that police brutality was ok. Whenever it happens it is a terrible tragedy. I believe that there should be people looking out for this type of injustice and working on fixing it. Nothing excuses a murder. Period.

However, I do not believe that all the resources used on BLM are appropriate when looking at the extent of the issue. My argument isn’t changing, there are more important issues facing the black community than police brutality. And many of them even when we don’t look at the number of occurrences are much more severe. Take incarceration rates for example. Not only does going to jail more than likely ruin the person who’s going to jails life but if he has kids, a spouse, they’re also now at a huge disadvantage. Systematic racism that effects the courts also effects employment and induces poverty leading to high crime rates in the black community.

THESE things happen every day and not to just 40 people a year. THESE things should be the focus of a group that claims to help an entire community. Instead BLM chooses to go with the big issue in the media that is really not so prevalent in the real world. They do this out of selfishness and thirst for attention.
OK. Dude.

What are you doing to stop high black jail rates ? And black people dying from heart disease ?

Are you doing anything ? Or are you just moaning about ppl tryna do something ?

If someone chopped your leg off. Would it really matter to you, if someone told u many more people have had both legs chopped off ?

There is always someone with a bigger problem

Last edited:

Let me explain something

Yes. But guess what ?

No. So why is it now ?

I recently watched a video of Daryl Davis, the black man who befriends KKK members and even gets some of them to leave the Klan. In one part of the video he was talking with young BLM members who did not approve of his method. They said he'd been doing this for 20 some years and had only gotten a handful of robes from these guys. They said they were approaching things in a different way. When they walked out, an older black man came in. He told them that these two young men were fighting the fight every day and putting their lives on the line for their cause. That they had been jailed and beat up during protests.

When people took the MLK, Jr. approach, they were water hosed, beat up, arrested and viewed as criminals for their resistance. Now, when people take the Malcolm X approach of "by any means necessary," they are arrested, beat up, and viewed as criminals for their resistance. Why do some of us feel we need to criticize someone else's methods of fighting for their rights and their very lives?

Let me explain something

Yes. But guess what ?

No. So why is it now ?

Let me explain something

Yes. But guess what ?

No. So why is it now ?

Let me explain something

Yes. But guess what ?

No. So why is it now ?

OK. Dude.

What are you doing to stop high black jail rates ? And black people dying from heart disease ?

Are you doing anything ? Or are you just moaning about ppl tryna do something ?

If someone chopped your leg off. Would it really matter to you, if someone told many more people have had both legs chopped off ?

There is always someone with a bigger problem

First of all I’m in law school and if I’m lucky one day I will be a judge and from there I will be in a position to make a difference. I also did the heart walk just this Saturday. 2017 Philadelphia Heart Walk . I do those things for personal reasons my dad has been in jail most of my life and I’ve have many family members die from heart disease. I was also out with all the other protesters in philly during the mike brown protests.

Again this issue is all about scale and misallocation of resources. 40 people is a very very very small percentage. I’m not saying it doesn’t warrant protest. I’m saying it does not warrant a standing national activist group who is misleading about its purpose.

Delores Paulk

That Daryl Davis is a fool. A black man who tries to get White ppl to leave the klan ? He does not know who the fk he's dealing with.

These are the same ppl who used slice pregnant blk women stomachs open and stomp on the baby to death. The same ppl that used to use black babies as alligator bait to get their skin.

And some of them liked individual black people. Like in the film Django. He liked Stephen. But was a hard core white supremacist.

Racism has little to do with liking black people. Racism is a system of domination. Where you control peoples opportunities.

My assumption is that the people involved in the BLM leadership are privileged, bored, and looking for fame.

How is anyone supposed to have a reasonable conversation when you've gone out of your way to pretend that this is all about people sharing the same negative character traits and their issues being "fake".

You'll never talk about the issue, you'll always attempt to make it personal to avoid it...always

Also not sure why you put the word “fake” in quotes as I never said that their issues were fake. In fact, I said that prejudice in police can lead to unjust killings.

It’s real alright. Take this analogy, polio is real, there were about 30 cases worldwide last year. Cancer is also real, in the US alone there was about 1.6 million new cases of cancer last year. Which one should we focus most of our effort on? This doesn’t mean polio isn’t tragic when it occurs it just means there’s a greater opportunity for contributing to the common good through fighting cancer.

Charity should be about serving the greater good. Not which cause gets the most media attention and therefore the best opportunity to get your name out there.

So to reiterate, you believe police abuses are real it' just that anyone who talks about it with another person listening then they are attention whores.

Sounds reasonable.

Close but no cigar. If you talk about something just because you know it will get you some publicity then you are an attention whore.

When your goal is to spread awareness and gain attention for a topic you care about that’s valiant.

When you speak on a topic that is already highly publicized in hopes of being included in the conversation you’re an attention whore.

It’s all about the motive of why you’re speaking on what you’re speaking on.

Delores Paulk

That Daryl Davis is a fool. A black man who tries to get White ppl to leave the klan ? He does not know who the fk he's dealing with.

These are the same ppl who used slice pregnant blk women stomachs open and stomp on the baby to death. The same ppl that used to use black babies as alligator bait to get their skin.

And some of them liked individual black people. Like in the film Django. He liked Stephen. But was a hard core white supremacist.

Racism has little to do with liking black people. Racism is a system of domination. Where you control peoples opportunities.
And what people like to call reverse racism I don't believe exists. A black person may yell something like was referenced, but I think that's just strong dislike and self protection based on previous experiences and a long history of whites mistreating blacks. I really feel that if changes were made to the system and opportunities were opened up, things would get better for all of us.

I just read a Time magazine article about a Goldman Sachs banker who is investing in bringing back Detroit and trying to make it an example for other cities to follow. What I liked about what he said was that they were opening up banks in communities that would lend money to local folks to start new businesses and build houses. He was clear to say that they were not going to move people out and take over like has been done in some other cities. There need to be more good people doing good things.

Sounds reasonable.

Close but no cigar. If you talk about something just because you know it will get you some publicity then you are an attention whore.

I'm not playing this game with you. Police Brutality is wrong and fuck what you think about people who, unlike you, can make the tough choice to stand up against abuse by authority.

You like to play footsy and thats part of the problem

Sounds reasonable.

I'm not playing this game with you. Police Brutality is wrong and fuck what you think about people who, unlike you, can make the tough choice to stand up against abuse by authority.

Weren’t you the one that wanted to have a reasonable conversation? Shame on you for bringing foul language and personal attacks into this. Stuff like this belongs on twitter, not here. Grow up.

Sounds reasonable.

Weren’t you the one that wanted to have a reasonable conversation? Shame on you for bringing foul language and personal attacks into this. Stuff like this belongs on twitter, not here. Grow up.

Fuck you pal.

You're playing footsy with this topic and not interested in having this conversation with someone who at every turn thinks he knows the motivations of others and wants your dumb ass assumptions to be a part of the conversation.

You're only starting this thread for the attention you dont get in real life.

Sounds reasonable.

Fuck you pal.

You're playing footsy with this topic and not interested in having this conversation with someone who at every turn thinks he knows the motivations of others and wants your dumb ass assumptions to be a part of the conversation.

You're only starting this thread for the attention you dont get in real life.

I started the thread to have arguments that I don’t get to have in real life. Mainly because I have an unpopular opinion and people are close minded and aggressive like you. You picked one part of my post to attack and I’m not sure if it’s because you know some BLM leadership. If you do I’m sorry that I offended you but that’s just my reasoning behind why I think they decided to address a relatively small issue under a name that implying helping a whole community.

If you do know someone and that’s not their intention and they do it out of a misconception of the real issues then I apologize. I hope for the sake of America and the black community that they can soon see the problems that truly plague the black community and begin to use their new found power to address them.

If, on the other hand, you are just being rude to troll me, fuck you too.

Goodnight.

I'l do you a favor. The next time you seek to have a debate you can start by keeping your phoney ass opinion about how the other side are attention seekers who don't really care.

Why would you make this assumption? I don't know about the leadership other than what I can google, but I understand from talking with folks, that many are not looking for fame and that there are numerous leaders in the organization so that what has happened in the past, like leaders being assassinated, can't happen and put an end to it. I personally believe their causes are just and that many of them have very personal situations that moved them to be involved in the particular issues of police brutality and mass incarceration.

As an outsider, it may be hard to understand their choices, but they are THEIR CHOICES because it is their fundraising efforts that make their work possible.

(I'd like to ask our government a similar question about their spending of our tax dollars though.)

It seems you are confused. BLM has nothing to do with the leading causes of Black deaths. Its specifically addressing the real problem of cops being paid by our tax dollars to kill Black men. Any attempts to make BLM about anything other than what their mission statement specifically states is only something an ignorant fool would do.

It seems you are confused. BLM has nothing to do with the leading causes of Black deaths. Its specifically addressing the real problem of cops being paid by our tax dollars to kill Black men. Any attempts to make BLM about anything other than what their mission statement specifically states is only something an ignorant fool would do.

My point is 1. It is a misleading title because they don’t really care about all black lives just the unfortunate 40 who are killed by cops each year. 2. It is a cause that is receiving much more attention than it deserves and is taking away attention from real issues.

Privileged people only see what’s in the media and have no idea about the real struggle that minorities face every day in an urban setting. Very sad. I hope the cause works out and at least 40 people are saved next year and we can move on to real issues instead of these media influenced distractions.

I'l do you a favor. The next time you seek to have a debate you can start by keeping your phoney ass opinion about how the other side are attention seekers who don't really care.

Ok, definitely a troll, probably Russian government.

My point is 1. It is a misleading title because they don’t really care about all black lives just the unfortunate 40 who are killed by cops each year. 2. It is a cause that is receiving much more attention than it deserves and is taking away attention from real issues.

Privileged people only see what’s in the media and have no idea about the real struggle that minorities face every day in an urban setting. Very sad. I hope the cause works out and at least 40 people are saved next year and we can move on to real issues instead of these media influenced distractions.
Who told you it was a misleading title? Every Black person I know thinks its right on point. Who told you they dont really care about all Black lives? Did you take a poll of every Black person to discover this? I ask because I wasnt polled.

Black people cant help that white people get their emotions all tied up in knots when ever we say the cops are racist and are killing Black people. You whites are the ones that are giving it the attention by denying and fighting the truth. Blacks dont own any major media outlets. You need to get your logic straight.

The cause wont work out. It will only raise awareness in a few individual whites and that will be that. I have told Blacks before dont expect much change from whites. They mentally cant handle the truth that they have created and help maintain a racial system that denigrates, discriminates against, and subjugates while exposing Black people to murder by the very people that are paid to be their law enforcement..

In some places in the world Mosquito bites can end up transferring something really nasty so you always have to be alert of symptoms. Mosquitos in America are 99% different where most just end up as a bump that itches. Once in a while one will transfer some nasty shit but not anything like compared in other places.

Blacks trying to explain an unfair justice system to whites is just like that. It affects them sometimes but nowhere near the same scale so they dont see what the big fuss is because they arent exposed to it as much.

Who told you it was a misleading title? Every Black person I know thinks its right on point. Who told you they dont really care about all Black lives? Did you take a poll of every Black person to discover this? I ask because I wasnt polled.

Black people cant help that white people get their emotions all tied up in knots when ever we say the cops are racist and are killing Black people. You whites are the ones that are giving it the attention by denying and fighting the truth. Blacks dont own any major media outlets. You need to get your logic straight.

The cause wont work out. It will only raise awareness in a few individual whites and that will be that. I have told Blacks before dont expect much change from whites. They mentally cant handle the truth that they have created and help maintain a racial system that denigrates, discriminates against, and subjugates while exposing Black people to murder by the very people that are paid to be their law enforcement..

There’s no reasoning with angry collectivist like you. People are going to keep dying in my neighborhood because of people like you want to hate instead of work toward change. You obviously live in some privileged area where you can sit in your quiet home and type your hate on the keyboard. I hear gunshots. I see violence. These communities are in turmoil and it’s not because of police shootings. Privileged people like you, with hateful ideologies, are sadly the people that the people in charge hear the most and they return with more hate. It’s disgusting.

Ms. Halmilton doesn’t want the world to burn, she just wants her son back.

Forum List

Back