Bill Clinton was a sleazy dog of a human being, but he kicked ass at president

Clinton was indeed a "sleezy dog" and IMO worse. I'm not so sure he kicked all the ass you say he kicked - he let bin Laudin get away scott free. It came home to bite America in the ass too didn't it?

CNN.com - Clarke: Bush didn't see terrorism as 'urgent' - May 19, 2004

Clarke: Bush didn't see terrorism as 'urgent'
9/11 panel hears from Berger, Tenet
Wednesday, May 19, 2004 Posted: 1:16 AM EDT (0516 GMT)

George Tenet

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush's former counterterrorism chief testified Wednesday that the administration did not consider terrorism an urgent priority before the September 11, 2001, attacks, despite his repeated warnings about Osama bin Laden's terror network.

"I believe the Bush administration in the first eight months considered terrorism an important issue, but not an urgent issue," Richard Clarke told a commission investigating the September 11 attacks.

Clarke has ignited a firestorm with his assertions that the Bush administration failed to recognize pending terror attacks against the United States and that the president focused too much on Iraq after September 11 -- charges the White House has vigorously disputed. (Full story)

Clarke's testimony, while foreshadowed by his new book assailing Bush's stewardship on national security, was gripping, and marked the climax of an extraordinary two days of nationally televised hearings by the commission. (Bush, Clinton figures defend terrorism policies)

The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, as the 10-member bipartisan panel is formally known, is charged with coming up with an authoritative account of events leading to 9/11, including any security and intelligence lapses. (CNN Access: Clarke: 'White House is papering over facts')

The hearings played out against the backdrop of the race for the White House, in which the question of national security has become critical for both Democrats and Republicans.

Clarke said he and CIA Director George Tenet "tried very hard to create a sense of urgency," but their warnings were not heeded.

Amazing.
You can mention Clinton's failures in Somalia and the Left responds, "but what about Bush?" You can mention FDR's failures at Yalta and the Left would still somehow point to Bush.
The fact remains that Clinton's actions led to 9/11 because he treated previous terrorist incidents as crimes rather than war, as Bush did.
I have yet to hear something that Clinton did that wasn't already proposed by the Republicans.

CNN.com - Clarke: Bush didn't see terrorism as 'urgent' - May 19, 2004

Clarke: Bush didn't see terrorism as 'urgent'
9/11 panel hears from Berger, Tenet
Wednesday, May 19, 2004 Posted: 1:16 AM EDT (0516 GMT)

George Tenet

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush's former counterterrorism chief testified Wednesday that the administration did not consider terrorism an urgent priority before the September 11, 2001, attacks, despite his repeated warnings about Osama bin Laden's terror network.

"I believe the Bush administration in the first eight months considered terrorism an important issue, but not an urgent issue," Richard Clarke told a commission investigating the September 11 attacks.

Clarke has ignited a firestorm with his assertions that the Bush administration failed to recognize pending terror attacks against the United States and that the president focused too much on Iraq after September 11 -- charges the White House has vigorously disputed. (Full story)

Clarke's testimony, while foreshadowed by his new book assailing Bush's stewardship on national security, was gripping, and marked the climax of an extraordinary two days of nationally televised hearings by the commission. (Bush, Clinton figures defend terrorism policies)

The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, as the 10-member bipartisan panel is formally known, is charged with coming up with an authoritative account of events leading to 9/11, including any security and intelligence lapses. (CNN Access: Clarke: 'White House is papering over facts')

The hearings played out against the backdrop of the race for the White House, in which the question of national security has become critical for both Democrats and Republicans.

Clarke said he and CIA Director George Tenet "tried very hard to create a sense of urgency," but their warnings were not heeded.
Al Gore didn't either, nor did Barney Frank when he said he didn't see terrorism as a threat when the Dems decided to cut the IC budget and tie the IC's hand in developing human assets in the years prior to 9/11/2001.

But, you can only see GWB at fault? Partisans...pffft.

The fact remains that Clinton's actions led to 9/11 because he treated previous terrorist incidents as crimes rather than war, as Bush did.
...after 9/11.

Prior to 9/11 everyone was pretty darn clueless about the terrorist threat. Folks were looking around for a possible war with Japan... if you don't buy that start perusing the books on Amazon published in the 90's.

...after 9/11.

Prior to 9/11 everyone was pretty darn clueless about the terrorist threat. Folks were looking around for a possible war with Japan... if you don't buy that start perusing the books on Amazon published in the 90's.

Can I have what you're smoking?
Prior to 9/11 there were multiple terrorist attacks against US targets both here and abroad. If Clinton was clueless about terrorist threats that's his own damn fault. There was plenty of evidence about it.

No actually it didnt. And I pointed out for the most part Clinton's achievement (free trade) was a GOP issue from the start.
I think we're done here.

yeah but i gave three other examples. yeah we are done here because you're grumpy being proved wrong

...after 9/11.

Prior to 9/11 there were multiple terrorist attacks against US targets both here and abroad. If Clinton was clueless about terrorist threats that's his own damn fault. There was plenty of evidence about it.

And would you extend that GWB, GHWB, and Reagan? Prior to 9/11 they (and for the most part, we) were all clueless. The FBI had a near perfect track record at stopping domestic attacks, and those they didn't stop they nearly always apprehended the assailant. There was a general aura of invincibility in the states. Prior to 9/11.

No actually it didnt. And I pointed out for the most part Clinton's achievement (free trade) was a GOP issue from the start.
I think we're done here.

yeah but i gave three other examples. yeah we are done here because you're grumpy being proved wrong

What? Tax cuts for low income people? Expanded college loans that have helped boost college tuition way past the rate of inflation?
That's what qualifies as "kicking ass" in your book? Please.
I think the title shoud have been "kiss ass". He kissed Chinese ass. He kissed NATO ass. He kissed Monica ass. Please.

...after 9/11.

And would you extend that GWB, GHWB, and Reagan? Prior to 9/11 they (and for the most part, we) were all clueless. The FBI had a near perfect track record at stopping domestic attacks, and those they didn't stop they nearly always apprehended the assailant. There was a general aura of invincibility in the states. Prior to 9/11.

There were al Qaeda attacks under Reagan? Under GHWB? This would be news to me, and many others.

I think we're done here.

What? Tax cuts for low income people? Expanded college loans that have helped boost college tuition way past the rate of inflation?
That's what qualifies as "kicking ass" in your book? Please.
I think the title shoud have been "kiss ass". He kissed Chinese ass. He kissed NATO ass. He kissed Monica ass. Please.

President Clinton signed the Family and Medical Leave Act. The law, which covers over 42 million Americans, offers workers up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-guaranteed leave for child birth, adoption, or personal or family illness.
President Clinton expanded the Earned Income Tax Credit to cut the taxes of 15 million working families with incomes of $27,000 or less.
President Clinton granted waivers to 25 states -- half the nation -- providing for comprehensive welfare reform demonstrations.
President Clinton ordered the U.S. Justice Department to conduct the first-ever crackdown on deadbeat parents who refuse to accept financial responsibility for their own children.
Signed an Executive Order cracking down on federal employees who owe child support.

Helped Israel and Jordan achieve an historic peace treaty and Israel and the Palestinians fulfill their historic accord.

Contributed to an historic cease-fire in Northern Ireland.

Restored democratically elected Haitian President Aristide to power; will continue to stop the flow of refugees to Florida.

Undertook, with NATO allies and UN, military and diplomatic actions to alleviate the suffering and lead the effort to broker a comprehensive peace agreement in Bosnia.

Russian nuclear missiles are no longer pointed at our cities.

Persuaded Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan to give up the nuclear weapons left on their land when the Soviet Union collapsed.

Agreed to framework with North Korea that freezes and leads to the eventual elimination of North Korea s dangerous nuclear program.

Led the international effort to secure the indefinite and unconditional extension of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) further reducing the danger of nuclear proliferation around the world.

Working to prevent nuclear weapons from ending up in the hands of terrorists or international criminals.

Air-lifted more than half a ton of vulnerable, highly enriched uranium, enough to make dozens of nuclear bombs, from Kazakhstan to safe storage.

Assisted South Africa's transition to democracy, providing support for elections and development.

Bringing the nations of Europe closer:
-- Modernizing NATO;
-- Working with Russia;
-- Reforming the former Soviet Union economies

Waging a tough counter-terrorism campaign with stronger laws and more training for law enforcement.
# Maintaining strong sanctions against states that sponsor terrorism and defy the rule of rule, such as Iran, Iraq, Libya and Sudan.
# Sent our planes, ships and troops to turn back a new Iraqi threat to the Persian Gulf.

if you want more read the articles.

There were al Qaeda attacks under Reagan? Under GHWB? This would be news to me, and many others.

There were sizable terrorist attacks against U.S. interests under Reagan. Think about the Marines in Lebanon. El Sayyid Nosair was arrested in 1990 for assasinating a JDL leader and was found to have connections to Al-Qaeda.

International terrorist attacks did occur prior to 9/11. The problem was that everyone was clueless about it. Do you happen to have documentation showing that Mr. Bush took terrorism any more serious than Mr. Clinton did prior to 9/11?

That's the point here. There's no excuse for ignoring the rise of Al Qaeda when it formed, or ignoring attacks from Muslim Extremists. Its just no one knew they'd be capable of something like the scale of 9/11 prior to 9/11. No one. Not Bush, not Clinton, not GHWB, not Reagan. If you think prior to 9/11 any one of the GOP presidents I mention took this issue as a more serious threat than Clinton did, please provide proof.

Expanded college loans that have helped boost college tuition way past the rate of inflation?

BTW: It isn't the loans that are causing tuition to ballon. At my school, its rising technology costs and unfunded mandates to from the state relating to the rising costs of retirement and health insurance. On our campus the rise in tuition from the 08-09 school year covered ONLY the rise in cost of the unfunded mandated expenses.

Amazing.
You can mention Clinton's failures in Somalia and the Left responds, "but what about Bush?" You can mention FDR's failures at Yalta and the Left would still somehow point to Bush.
I have yet to hear something that Clinton did that wasn't already proposed by the Republicans.

I shall quote you word for word and then give you the answer... You said, "I have yet to hear something that Clinton did that wasn't already proposed by the Republicans." Well, I never knew a Republican that stored his cigars in quite the same way as Clinton did.

Wait, let me get this straight.

Bill Clinton, the man who failed to capture or kill Bin Laden during his presidency, but tried to several times, is somehow worse than:

The man who funded, trained, and supplied weapons to Bin Laden and the radical Muslim militias that became Al Qaeda and the Taliban. Training a group of farmers and merchants into a force that could repel the Sovet Union...and fly planes into American buildings, destroy ships, kill thousands of US Citizens - Ronald Reagan?

The man who put tens of thousands of American troops on Muslim holy land, inciting widespread hatred and anger among a majority of Muslims worldwide, and leading to Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda swearing a jihad against the United States - George Bush I?

The man who ignored several very serious warnings from his intelligence chiefs about an immediate threat of attack against the United States by Al Qaeda. An attack his NORAD, military, intelligence, and strategic officers failed to repel which would have required no more than following existing procedures, who allowed the greatest terrorist attack on American soil via his negligence, and who failed to unite the world or the country in the face of such a tragedy but instead exploited it for his own twisted, violent ends (while failing to capture or kill Bin Laden while ostensibly trying to for eight years) -George Bush II?

Sorry, that doesn't make a lick of sense.

Is Clinton responsible for not catching or killing Bin Laden? Of course he is. Are both Bushes and Reagan far more responsible for creating, arming, funding, training, and supplying Al Qaeda? For allowing them to fester and grow and kill all moderate, secular, or democratically-inlined Afghanis with our support? For then pissing them off, and ignoring them until they were unbelievably successful in carrying out an easily-preventable attack? Of course they were

I don't get why this baseless talking point that tries to pin all of the economic success of Clinton on Reagan and Bush and all the national security and military failures of Bush II on Clinton is what gets parroted around.

If you want to make a substantive criticism of Bill Clinton, why he was a bad president in terms of foreign affairs, and how he failed to respond to Al Qaeda, talk about the fact that his attack on a so-called "Al Qaeda Weapons Factory" turned out to be the Al-Shifa Pharmaceutical Plant that produced most of the anti-Malarial medicine in Sudan and caused hundreds of thousands of innocent deaths and sparked the crisis in Darfur.

Last edited:
You got this off the Clinton Library website, right?

clinton_memorial.jpg

Forum List

Back